“Come for the beer, stay for the WINGS!”
Review of Churchkey

Churchkey
Ranked #157 of 3,367 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: Logan Circle/ Shaw
Reviewed October 25, 2011

I wouldn't normally go all out with a 5 star rating, but this place definitely earned it. Great atmosphere, cozy hightop booths, comfortable bar chairs. I was impressed. Then the beer menu - like nothing I had ever seen. Such amazing detailed descriptions to help you pick just the right beer for your taste. The beer menu is kind of like a "Choose Your Own Beer Adventure". But wait, there's more. The best buffalo wings you will ever eat. Not over sauced. Perfect thin, crispy, fried outside, and totally juicy inside. So good, you'll have to order more. (We did!)

Reviewed October 22, 2011

If you like your restaurant/bars with vast micro-brew choices on tap, this is your place. There were tons of micro and import beers on tap, at decent for DC prices. We tried going to Birch & Barley for dinner, but the wait was long, so we went to the bar (Churchkey) upstairs. The bar itself is unique, and it wasn't terribly loud, so conversations could be had. The food we had was all very good--pretty much all variations on bar standards. Will definitely go back the next time we find ourselves in DC.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

So the selection of beer is amazing. Atmosphere is great, we sat in the lounge area in the back, the tables are first come first serve so if you don't like waiting around this might not be the place for you. We got lucky and were there at 6pm on a Saturday night. The tables were all taken but the lounge in the back was empty so be sure to check back there. Everyone enjoyed their food, the flatbreads are more like pizzas and can be shared by 3 (table liked the bbq pork). I had the bread board and it was very good, came with butter and mustard. The disco fries were good but thought the portion was small.
And although some reviews stated the service was slow we didn't experience any problems (but it was not crowded). Will definitely return to Churchkey!

Reviewed June 11, 2011

On a recent trip to DC over the Memorial Day weekend, we were fortunate enough to stay near Churchkey. Being a beer geek, I HAD to check this place out after reading about on various sites, including Trip Advisor. We went here twice, once during late afternoon and again late on a Saturday night. While many reviews have said it's too crowded, neither time we went were we not able to find a place to sit - more than likely due to the Memorial Day weekend. Regardless, we loved the selection of the beer and the staff was pretty friendly. The only thing we ate were some appetizers but we enjoyed them.
It's not a cheap place to go but it's not overly expensive either as some postings have suggested. Don't go if you want a Coors Light. If you want some very tasty craft beers or imports that are hard to find, you can't go wrong with Churchkey.

Reviewed June 7, 2011

I am writing this review to express my disappointment in the Rogue Kegfest & Oyster Bash hosted by Churchkey on June 5 and how the management handled (or did not handle) my concern. I sent them an e-mail after the event but no one responded.

First, my friend bought a ticket to the oysters bash but the ticket was never e-mailed to her even though her checking account was debited which means Churchkey got the money. She called the restaurant to discuss the matter and was told there is nothing they can do for and that she should deal with PayPal so rather than enjoy her morning she spent it trying to get her money back. She was so frustrated with the way you handled this matter that she did not come.

Second, and more important, is how poorly the event was organized. There was no all you can eat oysters. It was more like all you can eat if you pushed every one out of the way and grabbed the tray to yourself. There was a shortage of oysters throughout the entire event. If you did not run up as soon as the tray was brought out, you did not get any oysters. That’s not how I imagined the event. The people who did not buy the VIP ticket had no shortage of oysters on their tables but the VIP tables were empty. Everyone who walked by the bar commented that the non VIP ticket holders who ordered a la carte had no shortage of oysters. We begged the waiters to bring the oyster tray to our table so we wouldn’t have to run up every time the tray was brought only to be disappointed because the tray was emptied within 30 seconds. So where was the VIP service? This was a rip off considering the tickets cost $95 each! It seems that the management decided to make extra cash from the other customers when they realized the VIP tickets did not sell as well as they hoped.

The cheese selection display on the bar had no cutlery so everyone used their hands to pick up the cheese. That is unsanitary. And how where we supposed to spread the jam on the bread if there were no knives?

Sadly, there is only place in town that knows how to throw an oyster fest and that is the Old Ebbitt Grill.

I am very disappointed at the way the event was organized and I am even more disappointed that the management chose to ignore my e-mail to them.

3  Thank AlexandriaGirl123