“Ideal home away from home for a visit to the nation's capital.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast

Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Saint Albans WV
“Ideal home away from home for a visit to the nation's capital.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

We spent three nights at Mt. Vernon Square B&B. Our room was spacious, comfortable, and well-appointed. Keith is an excellent host and made us feel very welcome. The breakfasts were delicious, especially the banana pancakes! Oh, and the cornbread and the eggs with spinach and feta cheese...Yum!! As for the location, how perfect! The house is a block away from a large grocery and a wonderful restaurant, and the Metro is a short three-block walk through a lovely neighborhood of historic townhouses. Union Station is nearby as well. This is an ideal location as a base for exploring Washington DC for adults, but probably not for children.....the temptation to slide down the stair bannister might just be too much!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank RufusSaintAlbansWV

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
East Burke, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

My wife and I spent two nights at the Mt Vernon Square B&B and were more than happy with the experience. When we arrived we were shown to our room (the Terrace Room) and given a beer and a glass of wine to relax with after traveling all day from Arizona. The room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was top of the line. Our dietary restrictions were honored and still a tasty full spread was provided.

The Mt Vernon Square B&B is a short walk from the Metro, giving you easy accesss to all of DC. Also a short walk to the Starbucks and Safeway. Keith was very knowledgable of the area and had great suggestions for dining and entertainment.

MVS B&B made our short stay special and memorable.

I would highly recommend you avoid the chain hotels and give the Mt Vernon Square B&B. You won't be dissapointed.

Room Tip: The Terrace Room is a great place to sit and relax while looking over the city. At night you can sp...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Stephen H
Lowell, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had wonderful long weekend stay. Keith was so hospitable! Great location, convenient to midtown. Breakfast was outstanding! There is a bit of noise from traffic. The decor is very nice. Our Terrace Room had a - terrace, on which we would relax after a day of sightseeing, or in the morning before breakfast. We'll be back.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Morty_Meekle
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I visited Washington DC last year,August 2011, a gift from my boyfriend to celebrate my birthday. I stayed at Mt Vernon bed and breakfast and was pleasantly surprised of the hospitality and the how well this place felt like a home away from home. I was apprehensive when we pulled up because it is situated in a residential area but was in awe once we got inside. It was very clean and neat..."homey" if you will. The room was big and the bathroom clean. It's a comfortable place to stay. Breakfast was great and the hosts Keith and his wife were beyond nice. They were so hospitable. Unfortunately, due to something unforseen, I got so sick I spent 3 days in bed. I got served breakfast in bed, by the way, because I could not make it to the dining room. The hosts felt so bad that I didn't get to see the sights due to my illness, they offered me an extra night on the house. I was so grateful for their generous offer. It was unexpected. If I'm ever in DC again, even if I'm not staying overnight, I will definately stop by to say hello because the owners were just so nice and hospitable. This venue is highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 69Kam-F
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

we came to town to see the american idol tour at the mci center. we loved keith, the bedroom and restroom, and the location downtown. breakfast was very nice as well as the cold beer Keith offered after our 4 hour drive. will come back again and again. felt very comfortable there

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank joestel
Fleet, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed with Keith in his excellent B&B for 4 nights this August, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We chose the Terrace room liking the idea of sitting out on the roof after days in museums and walking! The room was large and the bed big and comfortable. The shower room is superb. The breakfasts were great, and were different on each of our four days, and sustained us throughout until dinner.
Keith is a wonderful host, friendly and with good information and tips on where to go and what to do. His emails prior to arriving were great with lots of helpful information, including a tip on using Eddy Davenports tours of DC.
All in all, a memorable stay and I have no hesitation in recommending to travellers who prefer the B&B experience over hotels.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RichardFleet_UK
Montclair, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

I was making a quick trip to Washington for business, but business that was going to be out of my own pocket, so I wanted something modestly priced and not too corporate. I came upon this b & b, and was intrigued. It sounded like something that would feel original and a little off the beaten path, but by the sound of the reviews about it, also tried and true.

I lived in DC many years ago, but couldn't figure out where the location would be in terms of the neighborhoods I am familiar with. Turned out, it is a sort of transitional neighborhood in the best sense of the word--like parts of Brooklyn, NY, still not totally "gentrified" but safe, pretty, and with interesting, hip restaurants and bars here and there.

Keith is the host, and between the grand old building itself (with some important modern features inside, e.g. big tubbed bathrooms), even if I had any negative comments (which I don't) he would outweigh the cons. He is warm, down-to-earth, smart, and as helpful as it's possible to be without being a mind-reader. My room (Cleopatra) was spacious and quirkily decorated (a compliment). The breakfast the next day--one of the best I've had at a b & b or anywhere. I can't WAIT for an excuse to go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo