“One of the best tours ever had”
Review of Gray Line DC

Book In Advance
More Info
$45.00*
and up
DC After Dark
Ranked #49 of 145 Tours in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: Gray Line DC Tours provides numerous sightseeing opportunities in and around the Washington, DC area. Full-Day, Two-Day and Get-Away tours give you access to the many of the must-see locations, and charters provide groups with the opportunity for a private experience. Our drivers are also licensed tour guides for the city, and provide an enjoyable, entertaining and educational atmosphere. Gray Line DC: Truly the Local Expert!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“One of the best tours ever had”
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We took Gray Line DC tour this July for the first time. It was a wonderful experience, the staff was very helping and we enjoyed every moment of our trip! We hope to return back soon.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank KapoorA
MartzGroup, Marketing Coordinator at Gray Line DC, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Thank you for choosing Gray Line DC! We hope to see you again soon!

Tarbert, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“What a nonsence”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Visited Washington during Menorial weekend this year. Bought a 2 day pass for the grey line busses. After using them in NYC we were all to pleased to see them operating in DC. Big mistake!!! Comments are rubbish, nothing syncs, terrible service from staff and to top it, the second day the busses were not running because of rolling thunder!!!, No tours to the pentagon at all, in the end used it once for 6 adults and 2 kids. It was a treat for the family from my parents, she paid over $200,00 for this. No compensation offered after emailing the company. The best was, they were still selling tickets, even though there were no busses running.
Aparently they are owned by Stagecoach UK!!, Rip of Britain has moved West!!!

2 Thank stormsus
MartzGroup, Marketing Coordinator at Gray Line DC, responded to this review, August 30, 2011
Dear stormsus,

We sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy the Open Top tour. We strive to increase customer satisfaction daily, and are deeply disappointed you were unhappy with your tour. We further apologize for any inconvenience caused by the mandatory diversion of routes due to Rolling Thunder. We are happy to provide your family with complimentary 2-day Open Top tickets for the next time you visit DC. Please contact us at 1-800-862-1400. We look forward to hearing from you.

Southern US
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Embarrassingly deplorable, blatantly dishonest pathetic management!!!”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I reserved and paid for (got website and email confirmation) a combo, museum/hop-on, hop-off bus tour for our upcoming Washington, DC trip. About 2 weeks after I booked, I received a phone call, while I was asleep at 950pm one night, from the administrative manager informing me that the price I paid was incorrect. She stated that they were implementing a new system or other and that the vendor would not honor the price I was quoted and paid, but for an additional $80 I could keep my reservation. She asked me if I had a AAA card, I said yes. She then quoted me a price less 10%. I told her I was not interested. No apology for the late call and no apology for THEIR mistake. FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!! I called the next day when I was fully alert and after 2-3 phone calls I was given the pleasure of speaking to the same lady I had spoken with the night before, though I told the customer service rep I did not want to speak to her again. I told her I felt they should honor the price that was listed, in short, she told me they would not.

I was really disappointed, my husband and I used Gray line in the past in the Poconos and had a great tour. I never would have thought what I believed to be a reputable company would provide such sorry customer service. The only positive thing I can say is that I did receive my refund pretty quickly.

I was so outdone I reported them to the BBB because they were dishonest and I wanted it notated. Well, that same woman, the administrative manager, responded to my report. She wrote, in part, that she did not ask me about the AAA card because I did not use it in the initial booking. I know for a fact that she did and whether I did or not was purely my choice, I knew that option was available as it is stated on the website, but I chose not to use it. I replied back and said that and more. I WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER book or use Grayline anything EVER, EVER again. I suggest anyone considering them reconsider and try another company.

6 Thank shondad1
Dear shondad1,

We sincerely apologize for the experience you had booking the Open Top tour. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service, and are extremely frustrated to hear about a discontented customer. We hope you do not let this incident stain your view of Gray Line DC, and that you give us another chance to delight you. Please feel free to contact us at 1-800-862-1400 with any further comments or questions.

Melbourne, Australia
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 198 helpful votes
“HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT”
Reviewed June 4, 2011

We booked with Viatour back in January the afternoon tour to Mt. Vernon which Grayline runs. We were told to phone beforehand and confirm the tour. I did so on the Monday we arrived into Washington for the following Thursday afternoon. On the Thursday we were at the bus station at Union Railway Station at 12.30pm, the time we were told to arrive. A rude man behind the Grayline counter told us that we wouldn't be going as there were only 7 of us. When I told him I had a voucher, he didn't want to know me and said to sort it out with Viatour. We all waited until 1pm which was the official time for the tour to start but unfortunately, no-one else arrived. We had worked our itinerary around this tour and as we had travelled so far, we were very disappointed at not being able to take the tour. I am very wary now of doing anything with Grayline.

We did get a full refund from Viatour within a couple of days so I have no fault with them.

2 Thank Aussiegal15
Dear Aussiegal15,

We are sincerely sorry that your family was not able to tour Mount Vernon with us this May. The afternoon Mount Vernon was a new Tour we put in. It is company policy that we are unable to run tours with less than ten people due to the rising fuel costs. We apologize that this was not communicated to you, and that you had an unsatisfactory experience with our customer service. At the time, the afternoon Mount Vernon tour was a new addition. After not generating enough response, we dropped the requirement down to four passengers to run the afternoon tour. We genuinely hope you chose to visit DC again, and when you do, you consider touring with Gray Line DC. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at ------------.

Marathon
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Could've been better”
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Daughter and I booked the trip for Mt.Vernon, Old Alexandria Town, and Arlington cemetary day tour. I had bought our tickets online(which is usually a plus and this was also), and instructed to be at union Station promptly at 7:30am. arrived, for 8am 'prompt' departure. By 8am the desk wasn't even open and there was a young man who said he didn't have a key for the CCmachine, and didn't have the cash drqwer, so only correct change or internet sales could be honored. He was frantically on the phoneseveral times, to find out the lady who supposedly was the mgr. was new to the area and couldn't find her way to Union Station because of the marathon. Many people were not happy .Tour didn't leave 'til 8:40am, felt rushed all day. Mt Vernon guy who was taking tickets told my daughter nad I we couldn't go in because it wasn't timed and after words we went in, and then to find out form our bus driver that all Gray Line ticket holders should be allowed in as that is a given with Mt. Vernon. Apparently, we got the short end of the stick and it con't all day, but the trip was also ending long b4 6pm, so this was a tourist money grabber in our minds. Go to Arlington on your own. Don't do this Grayline-it wasn't worth the money spent.

Visited March 2011
1 Thank jaden6WI
Dear jaden6WI,

We apologize that you did not enjoy the Mt. Vernon/ Arlington Cemetery Tour (VA). We are sorry for the inconveniences caused by the late departure time, as we strive daily to increase customer satisfaction. We further express regret that the Mount Vernon ticket agent was not aware of the policy regarding group entrance. We hope you give Gray Line DC another chance on your next visit. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at ---------------.