New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Duo Housing
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I slept in a room that was cool enough and most of the staff were courteous.

Some cons:
I walked past this building twice before I found it. The place really needs a larger placard. The Wi-fi is non-existent in some parts of the building.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Although this place does have a good location, the amenities and service are awful. I have seen a reviews that related horror stories about the service at this hostel, but in my case, it was truly terrible. I made the 'mistake' of using the washing machine in the hostel, which is apparently not allowed although it is never mentioned to you, only to find upon my return that the manager had taken my clothes out of the machine, still wet, and was refusing to return them to me until the end of my stay. When I complained and offered to pay for whatever amount of water I had used, he said it was irresponsible of me to not ask if the washing machines were open to everyone and I could not have any of my clothes back. Eventually when I mentioned this was equivalent to theft, one of his staff stepped in, and secretly returned my clothes to me. An absolute joke of a situation which continued with increasingly poor service from the manager and his employees. I would thoroughly recommend staying at any another hostel in Washington DC

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Bart H

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Labin, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We stayed there for just one night and it was good, Most inportant it was, i dare to say, one of cleanest hostels i ever stayed at. Good location, only 15 minutes walk from places u want to see in dc.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank majda1207
Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

I went to DC 2 months ago. I had stayed at Duo Housing in DC and I had a very wonderful time there!! The bed was very clean.The room was a little bit hot because they didn't have an aircon in the bedroom. The kitchen was nice and had lots of free supplies and materials. The shower room is the best!! Super clean!! The staffs were very nice...except that Asian one...and I'm not being racist because I'm Asian too. He was rode to me. Still, Ilove this hostel and I'll definitely go back again!! :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank JummyYeehaa
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

WARNING!!!!!!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 star is too much, but I don't have the option to give it a lower score. I called to book a room for my husband around 11:30pm and they said they have a couple beds available, no problem. I am not from this city and call to catch a cab. The cab takes a very long time but finally picked me up, then drove me around town saying he can't find my location. I call Duo Housing for help and tell them the cab driver is taking me for a ride and I need help but the girl on the phone huff's and puff's about having to be bothered to even talk on the phone. I explain to her that I am not from DC and I feel jerked around by the cab driver, to please help me find the place. She mumbles the address again then hangs up. I told the cab driver the same address again and he says he can't find it. I call the girl back and she keeps hanging up the phone. I'm not in a dire situation because the cab driver is getting aggressive... He forced me to pay him fare and then left me stuck in a deserted part of town. I called the place back to ask them if they can please recommend another cab service or something. It's now 1:30am and I'm standing in the middle of the night on a desolate street corner with my suitcase and I am scared. The girl on the phone at Duo Housing now says that I'll have to figure it out because check in closed at 11pm and they won't take me now. I tell her how can that be when we didn't even speak till after 11pm and she said she had a room for me. She gave a long sigh and just sat there on the phone. I said I need a room to stay, and you told me you have a bed for me to rent. She sighed again and then said "are you finished?" I said... are you kidding me? I'm not from this city and I am counting on staying there tonight. She snidely said "oh well" and hung up the phone.

I AM IN TOTAL SHOCK and COMPLETELY APPALLED THAT ANY HUMAN BEING WOULD EVER TREAT ANOTHER PERSON THIS WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Google DC Hostels and find someone else! I could have been robbed or worse because of this lack of humanity! LUCKILY one taxi happened to go by after about 5 minutes of being stranded and I had them take me to another Hostel. But I have to say that DUO HOUSING IS GROSSLY NEGLIGENT... DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: WARNING!!!!!!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.yelp.com/biz/duo-housing-dc-washington...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
7 Thank JennieAtlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

I have stayed at much worse. They have strict rules that are enforced, which I respect. It is within walking distance to most places of interest. Some of the staff are a bit strange and the downstairs common area was not very inviting. They should fix the broken toilet/shower.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Adecolt
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Ok, the staff are strange. They are exceptionally unwelcoming as they sit there in groups having loud personal conversations just between them, it made me feel like an intruder even though I was paying to be there. The no shoe policy is gross, and the place has this constant smell.
I found the people staying in the hostel very antisocial. Difficult to make friends as a solo traveller.
Is it that hard to have a few maps and brochures?
The bunks are metal and are noisy when the other person moves. They really cram the room with beds.
The social areas and kitchens are well equipped and comfortable. Shame there was no one interesting to talk to.
The womens bathroom is one room with 4 showers, no where to store your clothes as you shower, making the whole operation really hard to be descrete.
Overall though, it's cheap. I wouldn't come back but its survivable if your on a budget ad enjoy your own company

• Stayed August 2011