“Friendly staff”
Review of Zentan

Reserve with OpenTable
Zentan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #204 of 3,395 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: Thoms Circle
Transit: McPherson Square/Farragut North
Description: Zentan is your DC destination for Modern Pan Asian Cuisine. Our ambiance is perfect for social events, dates, meetings and celebrations and is rivaled only by our chef inspired, seasonal cuisine and handcrafted cocktails. Our sushi is sustainable, flown in fresh and crafted into cold plates and maki’s you won’t find anywhere else. Iffy about raw food? Not a problem! Our extensive selection of Modern Pan Asian cold and hot plates are sure to satisfy any pallet. Each dish is served from the kitchen as soon as it’s prepared; just think Asian Tapas! Here are a few dishes to whet your appetite: Myazaki Beef Hot Rock (cook it yourself, japanese river rock) Peking Chicken (bao buns, black garlic hoisin, cucumber) Maguro Crudo (goat cheese, fuji apples, pumpkin seed oil) Shagalicious (crab salad, cucumber, miazaki beef, tempura ebi, crispy leek)
Reviewed November 22, 2012

It's inside a boutique hotel, as I was staying at the Westin City Center(poor experience and that's another story). The food was ok but a bit overrated, but the waiter was very good.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was tasked by my dining companions with making a reservation at "a sushi restaurant, an excellent one, located in the District". After a bit of online research, it was this that led us to Zentan.
Zentan is dark, sleek and sophisticated. It had a buzz and was busy so be sure to reserve. The clientele was a mixture of friends from work, groups of well dressed girls catching up on a Friday night, people on dates and a few families. You can eat up by the bar and watch the chef at work or at tables. There are tables stretching all the way to the back, with some coved seating too. We shared the much famed Singapore Slaw - which has 19 ingredients. The Slaw is copious and is mixed in front of you as the waiter enumerates the ingredients. It was very refreshing and delightful to the taste buds, with more flavours than we were able to name. We also shared a serving of the Shiitake Quail Eggs Dumplings. These were served in a long narrow sliver of a dish on top of a delicious soya based sauce. For mains, we all had a different sushi plate. Although the menu does not state this, the sushi plates each have 7 or 8 pieces so the portions are more generous than the menu might have you think. I had the Ocean Roll, my companions had Snow Rolls and Salmon Lover. I loved Ocean Roll but the winner amongst the 3 was the Salmon Lover - where again, it is not possible to state what flavours you are tasting but you know they are phenomenal. If you are not into sushi, you have plenty of other options. The menu is adventurous but you can also play it safe if you prefer to.
The service was good, the food was excellent, the ambiance was friendly and busy, it felt like a treat to be there. Oh, and my companions said they will task me again with finding restaurants to match their spec as they loved it too!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I went here for a special occasion, and it was perfect for the purpose. I could spend a long time saying that the food was great (which it was) and that the ambiance was cool and stylish, without being overwhelming (which it was), that the service was friendly and attentive (which it was) or that the price, while high, was worth every penny (which it absolutely was). However, more than anything else, I have rarely been delighted and excited by food as I was at Zentan.

I have never eaten anything like the Singapore Slaw in my life. the $19 or so you will pay for this "appetizer" is well worth it. every bite was a revelation. Ever single forkful revealed new flavors, new layers, and each time delicious. It is a fresh, light starter that looks mountainous but still leaves room for more. It is huge, and one to share is more than enough before a main. It is an absolutely wonderful dish, and should not be missed. even if you eat nothing else, this is the one to go in for. Rave rave rave.

The rest of the menu is good, but maybe does not quite live up to the promise of the amazing starter. I had the Mongolian style beef, which was lovely, perfectly cooked, everything you would expect from a top restaurant in a metropolitan city, but it is let down by the sauce being a little too sweet, the portion a little too small. My companion had a scallop and shrimp concoction which honestly was a bit of a letdown. The "Special Sauce" was pretty standard Chinese fare, and not justified by the price.

Everything was fresh and well cooked, but that is not enough for what I expect from a place like this and such a famous chef. What I do expect, and was blown away by, was the Slaw. For that reason, I give my endorsement.

Also, as a side note, the lobby of the hotel that is attached is comically terrible.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great sushi. Cool swanky vibe, very hip for a hotel bar. Pricey drinks ($12 vodka/soda... using Absolut)... Good for pre-going out drink or to grab a bite to eat upon arriving at the hotel.

Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Soft but bubbly athmosphere. Booked a table via tripadviser washington offline app (yes need internet conn. to book) worked like a charm. Attentive and friendly staff, great pre-coktails n good asianfusion food (had szechuan hot'n'sour soup and mandarin steak). Of course, with a menu that mix spicy szechuan and all natural sushi it helps if you know your asian food to order the right combo / style. Sushi good but small pieces, all other normal portions...
To conclude: Totally worth it!