“Good for Business Dinner”
Review of Kellari Taverna

Kellari Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Kellari Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #310 of 3,367 Restaurants in Washington DC
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 17th street
Transit: One Block from Farragut north and Farragut West Metro Stations. We are located on K Street in the Middle of the block between Connecticut Av. and 18th Street.
Description: Serving the finest seafood with a Greek Mediterranean flare. The Greek Island tradition has always been to serve the freshest, most delicious, seasonal fare in the shortest amount of time from source to plate. In keeping with that tradition, our promise is to offer you this Sustainable Greek menu based on local and imported fresh fish, or what the Greeks respectfully refer to as, “Gifts of the Sea”. Join us for a simple yet elegant dining experience in the heart of Washington D.C.
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My company hosted a function for a divisional leadership team at Kellari Taverna. For that purpose, I thought the restaurant did a good job -- we had a relativley private table, the menu offered enough variety to please everyone, and the service was friendly and attentive. The food wasn't earth-shatteringly good, but it was good -- not institutional at all, as work dinner places can sometimes be. The atmosphere of the restaurant is fine -- it's a very K-street kind of place, with a corporate-y kind of vibe. It's perfectly pleasant, but not especially 'local' nor trendy. The only odd point of the meal is when, prematurely (since most of the group had just arrived and really wasn't yet looking at the menu) the manager came over with a HUGE red snapper -- head and all -- and suggested the table order that for dinner. We kindly declined his request; it just seemed...odd and salesy. We were pleased with everything that was ordered, from mezze platters to oysters to dessert platters. I'm not sure I'd go back outside of a business context, but I also wouldn't object if someone booked another meal here. It is a pretty expensive place. Our business didn't feel ripped off, but if you are a lover of Greek food, you can definitely find delicious Greek food at other places in Washington, albeit significantly more casual, without paying the K-Street upcharges you find here.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

There are at least 100 mediterranean joints in DC. This is NOT what I would call one of the best. Coming from a Greek family, I was a bit disappointed by the spanakopita (especially the serving size relative to the price). My sea bass (itself) was delicious; but, again, the serving size of the fish relative to the price was substandard. The were more potatoes in the sauce than there was fish under the sauce (which was too salty and overwhelmed the flavor of the sea bass). The chocolate mousse cake was a bit flat - as though it had been sitting pre-sliced in the refrigerator too long. The staff was friendly and the service was good. However, the whole, I would suggest looking Elsewhere for your Greek fix.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

We have hosted three parties at Kellari Taverna in DC - - a dinner for 20 or so. I would highly recommend this restaurant, as it has some great preset menus, offering guests three or four main course choices. The restaurant is very flexible and helpful and the food always delights our guests. Great appetizers include spinakopita, filet mignon on crostini, and lemon grilled shrimp. The lamb chops are to die for. And the other appetizers, including eggplant/zuchini chips, are addicitive.

We have also eaten at the restaurant as solo diners and the food is always great. Try the lamb salad at lunch! Kellari is known for their fresh seafood as well.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I highly recommend the Kellari Taverna. This is not your neighborhood gyros restaurant but a high end dining experience in an elegant setting. We went on a Saturday night and enjoyed a wonderful meal. The food was outstanding as was the service. Our server, Dominique was very knowledgeable, attentive, and personable. The menu focuses on seafood and it was delightful. Very fresh and perfectly prepared. I recommend the whole grilled fish. I had Lavraki and it was excellent. While the restaurant in not inexpensive, I found the prices to be very reasonable for the quality of the restaurant and food. They also have a prix fixe menu available for $36.00 for dinner that includes three courses. I did not feel shorted by the selections (4-5 for each course), quality or serving size of the offerings. Overall I rate Kellari Taverna as excellent!

Reviewed May 28, 2012

At lunch it is usually filled with businessmen/women discussing business and usually ordering the fixed price special. At night it is also filled with neighbors and Greeks who enjoy the fresh fish they can pick out themselves and occasional Greek events like dancing . The bar is also a place to drink and meet friends.