“Fun and Unique Dinner”
Review of Birch and Barley

Birch and Barley
Reserve with OpenTable
Birch and Barley is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #129 of 3,485 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Logan Circle/ Shaw
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Provides an impressive beer selection and they pair your courses with unique and hard to find beer. The food is excellent. The bread and desserts are not to be missed. They are definitely something special.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went to B&B with 8 others for a friend's bday. I'm not sure if I would go there again, because it was such a pain getting into the middle of DC and getting parking, and I had a few issues with the service, but the food and beers were great.

Good: The food. We started by sharing two fresh-made pasta dishes--both excellent. For dinner, I had the duck, which was actually duck two ways, a confit and a breast, which was nice and of course tasty (love me some duck!), and my husband had the seared scallops, which he enjoyed but he thought the size/# of scallops was a bit small for the price. We ordered a few different desserts, which were all fantastic. If I was in the area and they weren't on a wait, I'd stop in just for drinks and dessert.
Also good: the beer selection. I am not much of a beer drinker, but my friends and husband were really impressed with the craft brews.

Bad: The sides were quite tiny for the price. We expected the sides to be a little larger, since the prices were comparable to "share-able" side pricing at a steakhouse, but they were too small for sharing. The sweet potatoes and mac and cheese were good, the brussels sprouts were oily and not flavorful (and we love brussels sprouts).
The non-beer alcohol selection was lacking. I had maybe 4 options for white wine by the glass, and none of the cocktails looked appealing to me. I asked the waiter about the after-dinner wines on the dessert menu (there were only 4 total), and after he told me how this one particular wine was amazing and I had to order it, told me 5 minutes after I ordered it that they did not have it in stock. For a meal this expensive, they should be a little better keeping all 4 after-dinner wines in stock, and if they can't, they should make sure the servers know when they're out of something and should have a good replacement lined up.
The parking situation is pretty lame on a Saturday night. This restaurant is right in the middle of the city, and there's no nearby parking garages or lots and no valet. So besides dealing with awful DC traffic, we had to drive around for an hour before finally finding (on our phones) a lot with $25 parking 1/2 mile away. I'd never go here again on a Fri/Saturday night.
The kicked us out! Since the parking/traffic situation was so bad (and aren't they used to this, with their location and lack of valet?), our friends called ahead to ask if it was alright that our group would be 45 mins late for the reservation, which they said was perfectly fine. However, the server was rushing us the whole time, despite the copious amounts of food and beverage we were all ordering, and after dinner/dessert when we were trying to quickly figure out some more after-dinner drinks, the waiter threw the check down on our table and a manager (I think?) actually came over to our table and made us leave! This was about 10 pm, it's not like the restaurant was closing...
Also, I am not sure if this is common in DC, but our check had a 20% gratuity automatically added to it. We always tip more than 20% when we go out, especially when the food is this good, but between kicking our party out and the largest percentage of gratuity we had ever seen at a restaurant, we did not tip any additional amount.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have been wanting to try this restaurant for quite some time but found that whenever I look on Opentable, there are no reservations at convenient times. I am soooo glad I called. The person who answered told me we could walk in and be seated.

From beginning to end, this place was phenomenal. The service is very attentive and polite but not pushy or overbearing. The bread selection was delicious. I especially loved the biscuit which essentially sublimated in my mouth. I had the duck entree and unlike some other restaurants, they were willing to accomodate my request for medium well. It was delicious. The truffled macaroni and cheese had complex flavors and great texture.

For dessert, the fig toffee dish was excellent.

I will definitely be returning.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Food and wine pairings are always a wonderful thing, but food and beer pairings are even better. We choose the tasting menu which paired 5 chef selected courses with some amazing beer. I would never have guessed beer could bring out and enhance the meal so much. The staff was very knowledgable and the chef gave us a few extra items to try out. Birch and Barley is located in a great neighborhood and was within walking distance of several hotels. I've eaten at many wonderful places in my travels, but my meal at Birch and Barley won't soon be forgotten. Highly recommended.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We were staying at a hotel a couple blocks away and dropped in for brunch after reading a couple of reviews. We knew we were in for a nice brunch. We had no idea how great it would be!

We opted for the boozy brunch option which included the best donuts ever, a nice selection of brunch entrees and a couple of drinks. The menu changes often from what I understand to best accommodate the local and seasonal ingredients available. These people know good food.

Finally, we didn't realize it was part of Church Key family and had all the beer benefits that go along with that. So brunch soon turned into a beer tasting event. They offer 4 oz pours that allow you to sample a variety of beer. I have never seen a longer list of sour's anywhere. There were some truly unique offerings. I think they had about 5 casks available as well.

All in all, this was a great find. I highly recommend it. I'd come back to DC just to eat here again. Seriously.