“very good food..even in the dark”
Review of Cava Mezze

Cava Mezze
Reserve with OpenTable
Cava Mezze is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #220 of 3,367 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Your neighborhood Mediterranean hangout, dedicated to shared plates and culinary excellence. Find us in Rockville, DC, Clarendon, Baltimore, and Olney. Established in 2006. In the summer of 2006, long-time friends Ike Grigoropolous, Ted Xenohristos, and chef Dimitri Moshovitis came up with the idea for Cava Mezze over coffee. As three children of Greek immigrants, and life-long Rockville residents, they aimed to bring mezze-style dining of from their parents' home to their home. Despite opening their first Cava Mezze in a once desolate shopping center, the restaurant thrives as a neighborhood hangout. From hand-building tables, to smashing tiles, each founder and their family poured every ounce of their effort into making their first restaurant a success.
Reviewed April 10, 2013

7 of us ate here last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, the place is dark but your eyes get used to it. I had no problem seeing what I was eating. I did not enjoy the desserts too much ,but the small plates were good. They have a nice drink list. The hot cheese was a little too salty but it's neat when they set it on fire at your table.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've been looking for an authentic Greek dining experience in Washington, D.C. and I'm glad I found this spot in Capitol Hill! They serve the dishes in small plates similar to tapas that are meant to be shared. This makes for a fun experience for a date night, family night, or outing with good friends. The friendly and attentive service makes the experience even better!

The food is beyond incredible. When you arrive they give you water, pita, olive oil, olives, and a red dip. You then order drinks and the dishes you want to share. We ordered spanakopita, baked feta, and chicken pitas.

I bit into my spanakopita and took a look at the filling. The spinach was a beautiful bright green. I have never had spanakopita with such fresh spinach... especially at a restaurant. I know that the head chef takes a lot of pride in using fresh and local products. Don't even get me started on the feta... gosh... you MUST order something with feta in it. We ordered the baked feta with honey, walnuts, and grapes. It's great with the pita provided to our table. This is the best feta you will have in the States! The chicken pitas were delish... you just need to try them for yourself.

Cava is a great place to go when you're out on the town. It's a short walk from eastern market and there is plenty to see in the area. I definitely recommend a visit!

(Also, for a more casual experience try Cava Mezze grill, which is owned by the same people. It's like a sandwich shop for pitas. Good stuff too!)

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Seriously everything we ordered was very good, but it was just so dark, half the time I didnt know what I was eating. I dont recommend this for groups, better for 2-4 people as its quite crowed. THe flaming cheese thing and the lamb meatballs were great!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

This review is of the second time I have been there. I visit DC a few times a year. The last two times I have been there we have gone here. It has not let us down either time. The food is served on small little plates for sharing. This time there were 4 of us in our party and we had 7 plates total and a little food left over. I am not a cauliflower fan but theirs is just addicting with the yogurt that comes with it. The lollipop chicken is also fantastic. We used some of our leftover flatbread to scoop up the left over sauce from it. It was that good.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I've been here twice now and have not been disappointed. I've tried a variety of things on the menu. My absolute favorite (and I've actually craved it!) are the mini gyros...as simple as they sound on a menu full of fancier items, the mini gyros are probably the best I've had...maybe it's the fries they put on them?

The dip tasting is also very good and a great pick for sharing with several people. I also recommend the pork belly. The only thing that I wasn't really sold on were the lamb chops. They weren't awful...they just lacked a little flavor. But as for everything else I've tried, no disappointments.

It's very busy there....and typically you'll get seated about 10 minutes after your reservation time...but your food comes out amazingly quick!