“Don't expect too much” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #131 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Busselton, Australia
“Don't expect too much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I had stayed in the Motel 6 in Richmond (and reviewed it) and when I was looking for accommodation in Washington DC, it was all quite expensive. I paid over $100/night for a basic room. Very noisy air conditioner but at least it drowns out the sound of some of the sirens that go all night!

My room was clean, the towels are not exactly luxurious but as I'm alone, I can use both of them. The bed was comfortable and there is a security guard in the car park all night. The staff were very friendly and helpful but English was not the first language of most of them.

If you can find somewhere fancier for the same money, do so but if you're on a budget, you could do worse than the Motel 6.

Room Tip: Unless you're a smoker, request a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank JibsOz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My fiance and I were desperate for a place to stay, however we would have been better off sleeping in the car. Hotel was pricey and only offers a few scratchy towels and a bed. No phone, no clock, no hairdryer and had to pay for extra towels. Even though it was clean I feel what we had paid for wasn't even worth it. Hotel staff was rude, location sucked and other people staying there were definitely extended stay. Area felt very uncomfortable and unsafe. I would only recommend this place as a last resort.
Pictures above are NOT the hotel.

Room Tip: I'd only recommend this place as a last resort. Not worth the $120 a night by any means. Locatio...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank erin r
Long Branch, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This place smells, it has bed bugs, it has roaches and it is in a very bad neighborhood! It is noisy too! We only stayed there one night and regretted it! I took a nap in the first room and got bitten by bed bugs. I went to the lobby and SHOWED them the bed bug I found in the bathroom, and they moved me to the room upstairs. That room looked cleaner, until we saw the roach on the wall!!!! They gave us a really nice discount, but it was not worth it taking bedbugs home for a cheaper hotel! I have EVERY piece of clothing I took to DC sealed in a black garbage bag and will wash it tomorrow!!! Good luck if you stay there!

Room Tip: Higher floor is less noisy, but still pretty dirty!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank TGM1987
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My partner and I stayed at this hotel last September. It is not central and you will need to walk at least 10 minutes to the closest subway. The rooms were very clean and quiet considering this motel is near a busy main road. Found the motel quite pricey but they did do us a small deal for 3 nights stay. There is are cheaper accommodation near by, I would recommend booking accommodation in Washington in advance.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gemcoop23
Phoenix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My valid reservation wasn't honored--they'd just given my room to someone else even though it was confirmed and paid for--and neither the hotel or Motel 6 central reservations did a damn thing about it. Both the hotel and Motel 6 agreed my reservation was 100% valid. I had to walk 2 miles through an industrial part of Washington after midnight in order to find another hotel. They wouldn't even provide a taxicab. The front desk person was clueless about why they'd given away my room--it had clearly happened on the previous shift, and that clerk hadn't bothered to tell him that he might have to turn away people with valid bookings. He did absolutely nothing to help me find an alternate hotel other than one Motel 6 that was 7 miles away, which would have put me out of pocket $50 or more for cab fares. The Motel 6 central reservations people were totally useless, as all of the people with authority to help people with reservations problems at night had gone home by 5 pm.
If you want to book here because of the low prices, make sure you show up early in the day.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank hhoran
Lubbock
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

At $110 per night, we were thrilled with the location. The proximity to the tourist sites and the free parking made the location attractive, but the area was scary at night, but turned out okay. It was located by lots of warehouses and train tracks in the Northeast. There was a guard at night and the cars were inside the fence, so no real worries. Not a location to stroll around though, and no restaurants within walking distance anyway - plan ahead. The maid was friendly and we did not experience the bed bugs so many others experienced.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank Suz806
Twin City, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I reserved 6 months in advance for $89. When I stayed in April the new rate was $104. They had the new rate in the computer rather than the rate on my confirmation. However, they honored the confirmation rate. (Glad I had it with me.)

Room 115: Bathroom door knob broken so bathroom couldn't be latched or locked. Faucet was not attached securely to the sink so it moved when I used it. Night stand drawer broken so it wouldn't close all the way. Bad stain on the carpet. Sheets as thin as tissue.

Room 202: I was back a few days later and this room was better--typical of Motel 6. There were big gaps around the door so it was drafty, but it wasn't a problem because it was warm enough. I would be concerned about it in the winter.

I felt safe enough as a man, but I wouldn't recommend that women stay there alone.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you accept it.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo