“Ok location, quiet pricey”

Motel 6 Washington DC/Convention Center
Ranked #137 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My partner and I stayed at this hotel last September. It is not central and you will need to walk at least 10 minutes to the closest subway. The rooms were very clean and quiet considering this motel is near a busy main road. Found the motel quite pricey but they did do us a small deal for 3 nights stay. There is are cheaper accommodation near by, I would recommend booking accommodation in Washington in advance.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gemcoop23

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My valid reservation wasn't honored--they'd just given my room to someone else even though it was confirmed and paid for--and neither the hotel or Motel 6 central reservations did a damn thing about it. Both the hotel and Motel 6 agreed my reservation was 100% valid. I had to walk 2 miles through an industrial part of Washington after midnight in order to find another hotel. They wouldn't even provide a taxicab. The front desk person was clueless about why they'd given away my room--it had clearly happened on the previous shift, and that clerk hadn't bothered to tell him that he might have to turn away people with valid bookings. He did absolutely nothing to help me find an alternate hotel other than one Motel 6 that was 7 miles away, which would have put me out of pocket $50 or more for cab fares. The Motel 6 central reservations people were totally useless, as all of the people with authority to help people with reservations problems at night had gone home by 5 pm.
If you want to book here because of the low prices, make sure you show up early in the day.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank hhoran
Reviewed July 12, 2012

At $110 per night, we were thrilled with the location. The proximity to the tourist sites and the free parking made the location attractive, but the area was scary at night, but turned out okay. It was located by lots of warehouses and train tracks in the Northeast. There was a guard at night and the cars were inside the fence, so no real worries. Not a location to stroll around though, and no restaurants within walking distance anyway - plan ahead. The maid was friendly and we did not experience the bed bugs so many others experienced.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Suz806
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I reserved 6 months in advance for $89. When I stayed in April the new rate was $104. They had the new rate in the computer rather than the rate on my confirmation. However, they honored the confirmation rate. (Glad I had it with me.)

Room 115: Bathroom door knob broken so bathroom couldn't be latched or locked. Faucet was not attached securely to the sink so it moved when I used it. Night stand drawer broken so it wouldn't close all the way. Bad stain on the carpet. Sheets as thin as tissue.

Room 202: I was back a few days later and this room was better--typical of Motel 6. There were big gaps around the door so it was drafty, but it wasn't a problem because it was warm enough. I would be concerned about it in the winter.

I felt safe enough as a man, but I wouldn't recommend that women stay there alone.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you accept it.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Stephen F
Reviewed October 21, 2011

This hotel is terrible. The people at the front desk are awful and the rats running around the stairs in the hotel is scary. The neighborhood is one of the most scary places I ever been!
I do not recommend this place to anyone. I was bitten by something in that bed and both of my arms had at least 20 bites.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
10  Thank brian p
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Dirty Hotel. BED BUGS. Stay away. Don't stay there. Sleep at the airport, under a bridge. Yuk, used condoms, hair, smell. Oh that smell, could not identify it, probably better that way.

Room Tip: Stay in Virginia or Maryland. Use public transportation and enjoy Washington, DC
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
12  Thank W S
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Holy cow I feel lucky to have survived this neighborhood! It was a good deal on price, but that's it. Do NOT walk outside at night. Lots of shady characters, including some of the employees. There is a security guy who sits outside, but I don't think he seemed "with it." The beds were disgusting. The sheets were paper thin. There was used floss laying on the ground of the bathroom. The shower floor is so slimy and slippery BOTH of us fell during our showers. The TV signal is shoddy. The walls are thin enough that you won't get a wink of sleep -- even with earplugs. The carpet is dirty and dusty. And good luck getting any ice to shoot out of the dispenser. I stayed here for TWO nights, and can't believe I lived to type about it. I've been in some shady places before, but this one gave me my first-ever heart palpitations.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple