“loved this place”
Review of Officina

Officina
Ranked #877 of 3,938 Restaurants in Washington DC
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

stumbled across this restaurant while exploring the washington wharf. i was there with 3 of my co-workers and each had a different panino - all 3 were killers! Mine was the porchetta w/rapinin - was delicious. tried the craft beers on tap to wash them down,
Espresso's and ice cream were good too. all in all a great place to grab a bite.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (69)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were seated outside on the second level and were then forgotten about. No one even came outside to give us water. After reviewing the menu we decided it wasn’t for us anyhow and left.

Reviewed September 9, 2019

It’s a market, it’s a bar – no it’s a restaurant – yes it is all three. The market has some wonderful, if not pricey, food items from Italy. It also sells food for take away. The bar is the place to be for happy hour, before 6pm as they provide a food accompaniment. The Italian spritzer was perfect way to start an evening after a hot day in DC. In the restaurant, the pastas are all phenomenal. Tasty, seasoned perfectly, served promptly. The branzino and eggplant was poached perfectly as well. Dessert of spumoni and sorbet were divine. This is Nicholas Stefanelli newest restaurant; it debuted earlier this year at the Wharf. I absolutely love his other place – Masseria and I had to see how Officina compared. Overall, you get what you pay for – remember you are in a great location, with stunning views of the DC waterfront and that is expensive real estate. Best wishes for success on this culinary adventure.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed September 8, 2019 via mobile

The view and location is a 10. The ambiance also a 10. Quality of the drinks were a 10. Sadly, the service was painfully slow - we were not in a hurry - but the pace was much slower than average. Forever to take orders, refill bread, provide drinks, receive entrees, receive check. The restaurant was not slammed either. Granted, it was a beautiful night and we were outside enjoying the evening but had we needed to be somewhere this would have been a huge problem. Now the food. The portion sizes were minuscule and not comparable with any other place around. My husband and buddy ordered the meat tortellini and there were 10 in the bowl. I had 8, yes 8 ravioli on essentially a dessert plate. Girlfriends ziti, she had 6, yes 6, large ziti noodles. Please, this is pasta, fill up the plate. The food was good but not hot enough for any of us, I sent mine back because some of the ravioli were cool in the middle and it came back piping hot. The food overall was prepared well but due to the minuscule portion sides we will never be back....my husband had to eat more food in the market because he was still hungry. Gotta up the portion sizes here to be comparable to others.

Date of visit: September 2019
Anna S, Assistant GM at Officina, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2019

I apologize for the level of service you received- this is certainly not our standard. We hope to create a leisurely dining experience, but you should never be left wanting. It appears we neglected to properly guide you and your guests through our menu. As is common in Italian dining, a pasta course is meant to be a mid-course and the dishes in our dining room are portioned as such. It is never our goal to have our guests leave hungry. Please reach out to the restaurant or to info@officinadc.com if you would like to personally speak with a manager.

Reviewed August 19, 2019

We ate here during restaurant week so you had to order off a special menu that was either 35$ pp or 45$ pp. Portions were small to medium. Everyone ordered different items. Gnocchi was awesome, calamari great, everything else (cauliflower dish, beef cheek, spaghetti was average. Dessert "Bavarese"? was very good. Beer was VERY VERY expensive. We spent about 2 1/2 hours there because I think they only had one waitress working all of the tables. If the prices were cheaper and the service faster it would get 4 stars due to the dessert and the gnocchi.

Date of visit: August 2019
Anna S, Assistant GM at Officina, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2019

I'm sorry to hear that some of your dishes could only be described as average-- while we understand that not every dish will be a hit with every guest, I'm sorry that we weren't able to impress. Restaurant Week kept us much busier than usual, and I apologize that you received service that was clearly below our standards. The gnocchi is definitely a favorite and I'm glad you loved it!