“Memorable meal”

Plume at the Jefferson Hotel
Reserve with OpenTable
Plume at the Jefferson Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #224 of 3,229 Restaurants in Washington DC
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: M Street NW
Description: As the only Forbes Five Star rated restaurant in DC, Plume at The Jefferson, serves as a discreet and elegant backdrop to the artistry of our skilled culinary staff. Plume's classic dishes are inspired both by the gardens of Monticello and the refined palate of Thomas Jefferson. Dishes are expertly executed with lighter, contemporary finishing touches that appeal to today's enlightened palates. Accompanying Plume's innovative menu, the wine program features more than 1,300 labels with some dating back to 1720. Recipient of Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence, we invite you to savor a bottle of the restaurant's more than 50 vintages, including some that Jefferson himself enjoyed in his time, as well as newer wines he might select were he alive today.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Memorable meal”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

My mother and I had dinner here and it was a memorable experience. She selected the veal breast, I had Lobster Thermidor. The restaurant is gated off from the main entry of the restaurant and is lobby-level, so it is accessible for individuals with limited mobility. There are a number of alcoves where you may be seated. If you have a special need related to mobility, make sure you tell them when you make the reservation; some spaces are tight. The menu is sparse but holds all sorts of promise. The wait staff bustle about. We enjoyed our meal tremendously and the desserts, the handiwork of a pastry chef, are sin-tillating. Enjoy the peacocks on the table and ladies, they bring a little upholstered stool upon which to rest your purse.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank PigsFly
JeffersonDC, Manager at Plume at the Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear PigsFly,

I was pleased to read that you had such a pleasant dining experience at Plume at The Jefferson that not only included the food, but the ambiance as well. I will be sure to let both our chef and our pastry chef know that you enjoyed your meal from start to finish. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Manila, Philippines
“excellent restaurant but fish not fresh”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We had high expectations with all the excellent reviews and concierge recommendations for Plume. Indeed, the ambience was great, though a bit on the noisy side. Service was excellent.
Most of the food was good. However, for our main course we ordered their special for the evening, a whole Dover sole, and while the flavor was good, it was a bit itchy on our lips, which meant that the fish was not fresh. We though that for a special, it must have been freshly flown in, but we guessed wrong...
We may still return, though, and try other selections...

• Visited November 2013
Dear jledesma

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent dining experience with us. I was happy to read that you received excellent service from our staff, but am sorry to read about your experience with our fish course. I can assure you that we receive daily deliveries of the ingredients that we serve, as food quality is of the utmost importance to us. I will be sure to follow up with both our chef and our food distributors to ensure that this does not happen again. We do hope that you will once again join us for dinner so that we may have another chance to exceed your expectations.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Relaxing lunch”
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Lobster bisque is amazing. The service kind and professional. I felt very taken care of. This is definitely the place to stop and take a break from a stressful day.

Wisconsin
“Beyond expectations”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Although this got rave reviews, we're usually leery of restaurants located in hotels. Plume at the Jefferson deserves all the praise that's coming it's way. Although surprised the pre fixe menu, we were accommodated in eliminating a few dessert courses in favor of a fabulous cheese assortment. Never thought I'd rave about an heirloom tomato salad but you really had to experience this one to believe how delicious it was. The diver scallops were fabulous. The service was equal to the hotel's grand style. All in all, a fabulous evening!

• Visited October 2013
JeffersonDC, Manager at Plume at the Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear mcog,

Thank you for taking time to post a review of your dining experience in Plume, I will be sure to share your comments to our culinary team and the rest of the staff. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our seasonal menu and that you were able to experience our cheese cart! We do hope that you will dine with us again the next time you are in Washington, DC.

Sao Paulo, SP
“Exceptional service, atmosphere & wine....inconsistent food”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Went to Plume for a special date night last week, and am conflicted how to write this review because me and my partner had such disparate experiences. From my point of view I was *very* happy with the restaurant. A few high points:

* Great with Gluten-Free: They are very accommodating to a gluten free diet. They provided gluten free bread, knew very clearly which items were gluten free and what substitutions could be made to make something gluten-free. As basic as this sounds, I eat out 4 - 5 times a week and this is a rarity.

*Fantastic Wine List with a Knowledgeable Sommelier: The wine list was extensive so we asked for a recommendation. He recommended a wine that he purchases directly from the wine maker (i.e. you cant't get in stores) that was phenomenal. I like that - the ability to have an experience out I cannot have for 1/4 the price by swinging by a grocery store. Though speaking of price, I think their markup is higher than average for their wines.

* Beautiful Atmosphere: The restaurant is simply gorgeous. There is just no other way to say it. I do not think we have enough restaurants in the US where you do not feel out of place for dressing up - this place is not that. Its perfect for a special occasion.

* Fantastic Service: From the greeting, to the table service, to the sommelier, to the goodbye chocolates in a little bag with a printed list of our wine - the service was exceptional. Not one complaint at all.

After all of these glowing comments - why have I not rated it a 5? The food. Of my five dishes, 3 were great, 1 was below average and 1 was fine. As I noted above, I eat out more than I eat in, so this sort of result was fine to me and better than most experiences. Unfortunately my partner *loathed* his food. He was disappointed with every single one of his plates and considered all of them below average. Given that we paid nearly $400 for our meals that is a very frustrating outcome.

I would go back again to see if my food experience matched the caliber of everything else. If it did, it would be one of my favorite restaurants in DC. If it doesn't (the second visit) I would say this place is just not worth the money. Because ultimately, I splurge on a meal for the exceptional food - not the atmosphere and service.

• Visited October 2013