“Wonderful Food, Outrageous Prices”
Review of Bourbon Steak

Bourbon Steak
Ranked #112 of 3,236 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Washington DC
“Wonderful Food, Outrageous Prices”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

They have a wonderful page of wines picked by the sommelier that are great but not well known in the US. I set a price point of $120. The sommelier recommended a great bottle for $ 62. That's important to keep that in mind during the rest of the review.

It was a 65th birthday for someone special. We told them that in advance. We had drinks at the bar ($65 including for 2 cocktails and 1 glass of wine...not included in the price of dinner).
We were taken to a perfect booth and the service was wonderful (close to the best in DC). I cannot say enough about the quality of the service....but on to the review.

We ordered 2 starters for three people (I had the classic wedge salad).

Two of us had the domestic wagu filet and the birthday boy had a rib eye.

We had an extra order of fries (wonderful) for the table and an order of the sautéd spinach for the table (also wonderful). (They brought an order of fries as the amuse brouche....I can't spell that name correctly so bear with me..anyway, it was a wonderful order of fires with 3 sauces).

We concluded the evening with 2 shared desserts. Given they knew it was a big birthday, they brought him a scoop of coffee ice on (I believe) a slice of olive oil based cake which was great.

The problem? Two straters, three main courses and two desserts.

The bill came to within a few dollars short ($4 to be exact), of $600 including tip……remember the wine was $62 for one bottle. No other beverages were ordered except "table water" meaning DC tap water....

That’s outrageous given we went to the Inn at Little Washington with four people (three were the same) and had a wonderful dinner for 4 with 2 bottles of a great zinfandel plus everyone had a starter, main and dessert and paid about $1000 for the whole dinner including tip…for the Inn at Little Washington.

• Indonesian first
PA
“Unfortunately, just average. . .”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We had an early Thanksgiving dinner for two adults and one small child at Bourbon Steak. Although highly rated, it turned out to be a disappointing choice. The fixed price menu for a holiday was mentioned upon booking our reservation, and this was not a problem for us. The wait staff was attentive, and our waitress was lovely, although service was VERY slow for the fact that all courses were ordered at the start of the evening (2+ hours for meal from start to finish). Appetizers were just average; oysters on the 1/2 shell and lobster salad with very little lobster. Drinks were surprisingly light on alcohol with a long wait time. Three in total were ordered; two house special drinks and one very limey cosmopolitan. Given the lively bar scene, one would expect the drinks to be excellent. We were somehow not given the correct children's menu for Thanksgiving, so we ordered off of the regular menu, which was not a problem, however, the charge of $40 for a grilled cheese with fruit seems ridiculous. Thankfully, the adult main entree of turkey with sides was very good. Desserts, again, just ok. Total cost - over $350, not including tip. For that price the dining experience should have been excellent in every way, but unfortunately for us, it was not.

• Visited November 2012
FourSeasonsHotelDC, General Manager at Bourbon Steak, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear travelsabit3,

Thank you for sharing you valuable feedback regarding your Thanksgiving dining experience at Bourbon Steak this past week. I am happy to hear our wait staff was attentive and met your standards and that you enjoyed your entrée and side dishes; however, I would like to personally apologize that you were not pleased with your appetizers, drinks, and desserts. Furthermore, I regret that you were not given the correct children’s menu; I only wish we were made aware of this during your visit so that we may have corrected our mistake.

Please contact me directly at the information provided below so that we may have a personal conversation regarding your dining experience. I can only hope that you will choose to give us another chance so that we may show you the true Bourbon Steak experience. I look forward to speaking with you and welcoming you back in the near future.

Respectfully,

Mark Politzer
Mark.Politzer@fourseasons.com
202-944-9168
Long Island, New York
“Top notch but at a cost”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Bourbon Steak is a top notch steak house located inside the toney Four Seasons Hotel located at the west end of M Street in Georgetown. The room is comfortable and quiet. Service is excellent and includes a knowledgeable and proficient sommelier. Main courses are a la carte as perhaps one would expect in a restaurant of this caliber The filet mignon and Wagyu flat iron were moist, delicious and cooked to perfection. Surprisingly the menu included Diver Scallops which came with batter fried cauliflower and were fish restaurant perfection. Sides are especially good. Try the rib sticking Mac and cheese, pierogies and huge baked potato. Dinner is preceded by a complimentary selection of three different types of French fries and wonderful, freshly baked rolls. The wine list is pricey with but a handful of selections priced under fifty dollars. Ditto the cocktails. The sommelier can be helpful here. The bar is located adjacent and is a patron friendly place for a pre dinner cocktail. If the Nation's Capitol is on your travel itinerary there are endless great restaurants available, Bourbon Street among them.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Definitely a Top Choice”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Top quality steaks and sides. Staff was very friendly and efficient. I still don't know exactly how I feel about the deconstructed cheesecake. It was different but tasty and worth a try. Modern decor with comfortable room between tables. I did not find noise level to be a problem, normal for a busy restaurant. Overall a top dining experience.

• Visited October 2012
Frederick, Maryland
“Great Anniversary Dinner”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

First, I have to say that I'm really impressed by the service. From valet to our fond farewell, it was just perfect service. It seemed as if everyone working at the restaurant that night wanted to make us feel like VIP. My husband made reservations and informed the reservationist that we would be celebrating our anniversary. We were greeted by the hostess who wished us a happy anniversary and found a lovely card on the table wishing us the same. Everyone else who greeted us also wished us well. I have a gluten allergy so they brought out gluten-free bread which was probably the most delicious gluten-free bread I've ever had and they brought out the regular rolls for my husband who couldn't have enough. I had oysters and they were absolutely perfect. Quality, fresh oysters. We were offered the trio of fries, I only had a taste for the herbed ones and the pickled ketchup but my husband liked all of them. I can't remember if we had any other starters... Anyways, for the entree, he chose the 14 oz bone in new york strip 50 day and he loved it. He just wishes it would've came out a bit warmer. I had a bite and I thought it was delicious. Very tender, very juicy. I had the seared diver scallops and they were amazing. The couscous was a bit too heavy for me but the scallops were right. He had the black truffle mac and cheese, he liked it. As for the cocktails, they were refreshing. It was such a lovely night. I asked our server if the Chef would sign our anniversary card and the Chef did. Made me smile. I highly recommend this place for a romantic evening. Can't wait to go back.

Thank you Bourbon Steak!