“Steak House”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: Pennsylvania Ave.
Transit: We are just two blocks from Metro Center at the corner of 15th and F (W Hotel entrance) or 15th and Pennslyvania (restaurant entrance).
Description: Thank you for choosing J&G Steakhouse at the W Hotel Washington DC. We look forward to welcoming you to the restaurant. Parking is available at the W Hotel for $25 on the corner of 15th and F Street or you may wish to park at PMI Garage at 1325 G Street NW for $13 for dinner time parking. Interested in booking a private event in either the Coin, Cherry Blossom rooms or in our Wine Bar? Please contact Kendal Berner at 202.661.2452 or kendal.berner@whotels.com
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We recently had a most enjoyable experience last week at J & G steakhouse in Washington, DC.
Good food and a lovely atmosphere.
One very minor hiccup with our order was resolved so well by our waiter, Dinesh, that, rather than being a negative, it became a positive! And it turned out that was his first night working there. Top class!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

On a beautiful Saturday in April we tried to get lunch up in the POV at the top of the W but as we had socks on and not the right frames we couldn't get the time of day, so we went downstairs to the patio. It was a beautiful day and everyone else had the same idea. To avoid the wait we decided to eat in the Wine Bar which looked out onto the patio but got a great seat looking out onto the patio and since the french doors were wide open, it was like we were outdoors. It was great to people watch and to be very comfortable.

The lunch menu had some great options including some combo specials of soup/salad, entree/salad, sandwich/side. The wine menu was top notch and included some very high end wines by the glass, at a reasonable price. My wife ordered a salad and I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich with a side salad. My side salad came out quickly but entree salad and the sandwich took another 25 minutes. When I got my grilled chicken sandwich, the chicken was cold and I sent it back right away, but the waiter came back saying that was the correct way of serving it. I said that I would like it hot and if they surveyed100 of their customers about 99 of them would expect that their grilled chicken sandwich would have hot chicken on it. He said it was not the way they served it but they would make it hot. He did make it hot. Besides the temperature issue, the bread and the sauce was really nice. I just couldn't figure out if it was a DC thing that the people there expected that a grilled chicken sandwich would be served with cold meat???

Overall it was fun in the Wine Bar. It was a cool vantage point and got us seated quickly. If not for the chicken sandwich thing, I would have rated the place higher.

1  Thank jwatsonusa
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I had an early dinner there and it was quite the scene. There was a photo shoot taking place in the lobby with some kid holding a guitar. Inside the restaurant a US Congressman was seated at the table next to us. The waiter was nice enough to make my entree quickly as I had to leave early to catch a train. Regarding the food, I had an 8oz filet with baby carrots glazed in orange and tarragon. The carrots were great, maybe a bit too orangey. I order my filet medium rare and it was served medium. Also, it was heavily salted. I would expect more from a place that charges $51 for a steak.

1  Thank ColinGunderson
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Just returned from a short trip to Washington, D.C. to meet with my representatives in Congress. On Sunday night, April 21st, my friends and I ate at J&G's Steakhouse. I had one of the best steaks ever, an 8oz Filet Mignon along with some asparagus and a house salad. The steak was absolutely delicious, perfectly cooked and very tender. The price like most places near the Capitol was expensive, but well worth the cost. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone traveling to Washington who wants to have a really great meal and doesn't mind paying for it. Like many places everything is extra; you pay for the steak, then the sides and salad and/or dessert are separately priced. Great place for a business meal if you want to impress someone, too. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

1  Thank tnjerry
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed at the W Hotel and after a day full of walking didn't want to venture far for dinner-so the J&G Steakhouse it was. (Also, there wasn't much open in the area due to the holiday weekend it seemed.)
This restaurant is smaller than expected. We were able to secure an 830pm reservation and were seated upon arrival. It took a few minutes for a server to come by to offer us drinks. We started with Black Truffle cheese fritters which were amazing and we could have just each had another order of those and been happy. For our main, we both had steak and a side of asparagus. The side is more than enough to share and the steaks were well done. We had a nice wine, although we couldn't really get a good recommendation from our server.
I would make sure you have a sweater with you if you are a woman as we were seated right under an air vent making our table quite chilly.