“A big letdown”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #59 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 22, 2010

I've lived in Northern Virginia and worked in DC for over a year now, and when I needed a place to stay for 10 nights before a move, I picked the W, as it's close to work and I've enjoyed their lobby and terrace bars on several occasions. However, I made my decision to check out after only one night. In summary:

For starters, my room was tiny, a la NYC (Room 435). And as others have described, it came equipped with the sliding door for the toilet and the see-through glass from the shower to the room. Additionally, the room faced the interior courtyard, which is currently undergoing work and full of construction equipment. The soundproofing was also pretty bad, and I could not only hear hallway noise, but also coughing and phone conversations next door. On the plus side, the tv was nice, and I liked the ipod docking station. Did not like the $9 bottles of water and $x? dollar bottles of wine on every surface - I felt like they were just waiting for me to slip up and accidentally drink something.

As for housekeeping, a number of minor offenses added up such that I wasn’t really thrilled… (1) When I checked in, I was not given any shower gel, (2) Trash wasn’t emptied after my first night, (3) Was given shower gel after the first night, but maid didn’t replace empty lotion, (4) Robe wasn’t re-hung (left on bench in room), (5) Fleece blanket left fuzzies all over the bed, (6) Fleece blanket had noticeable spills on it from previous inhabitant, (7) Decorative pillows were left next to bed on floor rather than being replaced after it was made.

With the front desk, check in went very smoothly. However, when I called to tell them that I would be checking out early and gave them the new dates, the operator transferred me to reservations. Reservations, of course, has nothing to do with early check-outs and cannot alter a reservation after check in has occurred. I had to call the hotel a second time to have the date updated.

As for the bars, I made a reservation at POV for myself and a friend. When my friend arrived, she was not allowed to come up to my room, nor was she able to meet me at the bar. Instead, I had to go downstairs to check in and escort her up. Seems excessive and the staff’s attitude was none to pleasant.

The only other note that I’d make is that a doorman never held a door for me, even when I was struggling with suitcases. Additionally, as a guest entering through the side door, you must ignore the stares from the evil rooftop elevator monitors and hop the velvet rope to get to your room (else wait in line while the bar patrons are checked-in).

When it comes to the service, none of the items mentioned are really major, but they add up. And, when you’re paying a lot for a hotel and the room sucks, you at least expect the service to be impeccable. And, they seem to care more about being a club than a hotel.

If I were you, I’d stay at the JW Marriott two blocks away. Visit the W’s rooftop bar for a drink and be on your way…

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed July 16, 2010

We loved the hotel!! The location was great. We checked in and went to the bar and had by far the worst bloody marys EVER! The bar manager made the drinks...didn't finish them. Breakfast was a little blah and VERY costly. Recommend eating breakfast somewhere else and saving the money.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2010

From the moment I arrived everyone from the valet and bellman in front to the welcome desk agent were friendly, talkative and extremely helpful, offering me whatever I needed and filling me in on the hotel and kindly wishing me a nice stay. I was addressed by name and each and every staff member was kind enough to introduce themselves as well. The property is gorgeous, with beautiful touches from the original Hotel Washington. The Whatever/Whenever service from W never seems to fail, when my friend forgot his phone charger they were up at our room immediately with several different chargers to choose from. I was thrilled with my stay and enjoyed some Sunday fun attending Beach Bums & Billinis, a great workout followed by an excellent brunch at POV with the best view in town!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I have stayed at tons of luxurious hotels but this ranks up with the best of them. Everything from check-in to check-out was amazing. The staff is extremely friendly, the deecor is great, the room was great, and POV is great (Night and Day). When I got to the room I realized I forgot my phone charger and within minutes after calling "Whatever Whenever" I had a blackberry charger delivered to my room. Every time I gave a tip the staff was so thankful it seemed as if they never received a tip before in their life. POV is unbelievable. At night the view cannot be beat by any other place in the city. You have a light up view of all the monuments and you are basically on top of the Treasury and the White House. Also the drinks are great and nothing is priced out of this world. In the morning we had a reservation for brunch at POV. The price fixed brunch for $40 dollars may seem a bit extreme but WOW do you get your money's worth. I had Steak and Eggs plus the bottomless access to the cold buffet which included shrimp cocktail, sushi, fresh fruit, gourmet cheeses and other great bites. All the food was AMAZING. If you couldn't tell I really liked this Hotel and would not reccommend anywhere else if you are looking for a luxurious stay in downtown DC. Lastly I forgot to mention the Acura service. We wanted to go shopping in Georgetown, so we arranged with the on-site Acura rep to have the complimentory Acura SUV with private driver to take us there. This was a great way to get around the city and was very comfortable and luxurious once again. The W is top notch enjoy.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed July 13, 2010

We stayed at the W for a week while visiting DC. We had a great experience! All of the staff was very friendly, always greeting us and helping us when we were in the lobby.

We had an upgraded 'Fabulous' room on the 8th floor. We looked on to 15th street and the Treasury building which was nice but we weren't high enough to see the White House. The room was tight for a family of four but we didn't spend much time there. Everything in the room seemed new and the ice-cold A/C was a welcome relief from the high temperatures outside!

The larger upgraded room meant that we had a fully enclosed bathroom. However, there are a couple of comments about it. First, there is a single sliding door to close, and it doesn't close fully so don't expect complete privacy, also given the glass wall of the shower which others have commented on. Another annoyance is that there is only one bright light for the bathroom, which will annoy those trying to sleep at night since the glass walls won't keep in the light and it will flood the room. Those are honestly my only complaints about the room - the beds were very comfortable and the staff seemed eager to please us when we requested non-feather pillows and a coffee maker (there is excellent coffee available every morning in the lobby that I would recommend instead!).

Access to the roof was easy during the day (it was very hot up there and thus empty) and the view is nice. At night, the night club is in full swing but it didn't really bother us - the staff lets guests right in to the elevators through the crowd and up to their rooms. There did seem to be a party next door that got somewhat loud during the night but not too bad. We didn't hear the rooftop bar on the 8th floor.

We really enjoyed the trip, and a lot of it was due to the stay at the W. The Metro was only a couple blocks away, and it was great to be centrally located and not have to have a car. We actually did have a car that we were borrowing one day to drive to Mount Vernon, and used the valet parking ($50 a day) since a taxi would have been more round trip. When we got the bill we were charged for four days in the valet for some reason. I mentioned this to the front desk and they were apologetic and removed the other charges right away without an issue.

Overall we would definitely recommend the W Washington DC!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I'm from the area, but had the opportunity to stay at the W for a buddy's bachelor weekend in May. We left on Sunday very impressed. The guest rooms had plenty of space and were very clean. They put out a nice amenity for us in each room since it was my buddy's bachelor weekend: 6 beers in each room and some mixed nuts. Very nice.

We started each evening off at POV (the rooftop bar) and loved it. The service was great, the drinks were stiff and fantastic and the view was amazing. We had a great time.

We ordered breakfast to the room after the first night and it tasted great, considering there was a lot of food that we ordered. The server was very nice and personable.

The folks at the front desk were very nice as well and treated us well. Overall, the service and quality of the hotel were great and the experience was perfect for a bachelor weekend. I highly recommend this hotel for young people (35 and under) who want a different experience that they can't get at a hotel like the Willard or another more "buttoned up" property.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2010

We booked the W to enjoy the 4th of July fireworks from the rooftop bar after many phone calls to confirm that we would have rooftop access. A month before the 4th, I received an email inviting us to a "party" on the rooftop and that hotel guests would not be allowed up there without paying an additional $200 each, which we declined. We were promised a room with a view of the mall and fireworks, and that was incredible!!

However, you also had a view directly to the toilet from the desk, even with the door completely closed, as there is a huge gap between the door and the edge of the shower. If you are modest, you will hate the bathroom, as the opaque glass shower wall IS the wall separating the bathroom from the bed area. Anyone taking a shower is in full view of anyone else in the room. The sink is in the hallway entrance area, not part of the bathroom. Really a poor design overall.

With the rooftop party going on, it took us 20 minutes and two phone calls from my cell phone to the hotel to get an elevator to stop at the 10th floor. The staff had keys to lock down the elevators into express mode, bypassing the guest floors. Good thing it wasn't an emergency!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple