“Let Down :(” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #53 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Baltimore, MD
“Let Down :(”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

We came to town from Baltimore for one evening in DC and to run in a the Cherry Blossom 10-miler race the next morning.
The best part about the hotel was the location and the POV rooftop lounge for Sunday lunch with amazing views.
The staff was friendly, just not that professional. Everything was roped off, so you had to continuously explain why you wanted to get to the elevators. There were three 4x4 elevators that were extremely slow and one was out of service.
The friendly concierge recommended lunch at a cafe around the corner which sounded great. Unfortunately when we got there, the secret service had it all blocked off and we could not get in with having a reservation.
Making it an early night of 11pm for the 7am race start, we had to muffle the beating club music coming from the roof top bar with the TV all night.
$250 per night, $50 valet parking, $15 for wifi, $21 for room service of 1 banana and coffee and absolutely no cell phone service equaled a big let down.
If I did it again, I would stay somewhere else and make a lunch reservation at the POV for the view.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank CousinAbe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Korean first
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2010

My seven year old namesake was visiting Washington DC as a special treat for her birthday. I arranged for a lunch for her at POV. It is relatively child friendly during the day and she loved it. Kudos to the staff for surprising her with a very cute lava cake and sparkler. But the real treat was one of the hostesses coming over to get her when the President's helicopter came in for a landing. she was absolutely thrilled. The hostess went out of her way and was most kind.
Two of my guests had cesar salads with chicken which they thought was very ordinary. The seven year old had a hamburger which she thought was very good. I had black pepper shrimp which were delicious. I had requested sparkling water but was told there was none available. In a bar? How odd. Overall the views are spectacular, the ambiance is fun and the food is fine. I would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

Two friends and I stayed at the W Hotel for the Easter weekend. The hotel is beautiful, clean, well maintained and an ideal location. I found the staff very friendly and knowledgeable about things to do in the area. The hotel was completely full when we were visiting, so it busier than normal.

They have an amazing roof top bar/restaurant that is beautiful. It's a must see and a great place on a Friday/Saturday night. The crowd was people in their 30's and very sophisticated. It appeared to be a mix of locals and hotel guests.

The rooms are very modern and sleek. We had a king sized bed room that faced into a brick wall (disappointing). The rain shower had almost clear panels so you could see the figure of the person showering. Not terrible, but this feature isn't for the shy folks.

Valet parking is $50 per day, but there are parking lots in the area that charge $25 per day for the exact same type of lot. The bell hops acknowledged they charged too much.

When arriving we came to find out they don't have a drop off zone in front so you need to park on the street (or double park) to drop off your bags. Prior to visiting, I called to reserve a rollaway bed for our room. They agreed, but when arriving I was told rollaways are only for the "Suites" that start at $1K per night. This was especially disappointing and one friend had to sleep on the floor. I really wish they had of told us this prior to booking the room. Rooms with double beds were already sold out.

Also, there isn't pool at the hotel.

Overall, great hotel and amazing location. I'd recommend staying there if it's in your budget.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank our2cents
Laguna Hills, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

First night came into bustling hotel checking in at 11:15 p.m. DJ and about 11 Bouncers in the lobby..even a bouncer for the elevator. Checked in, ordered room service and went to sleep. Was awakened at 2:00 a.m. when the party started next door. Finally called security at 3:30 then at 4:30. Everytime they came up, the party got louder. They all finally left at 6:30 in the morning.

Next day, they offered to move our room. When they moved us, they forgot a dresser of clothes. I called the "Whenever Whatever" service line and told them we were missing the items in the dresser. The called back, said security checked the room and there was nothing there. Called again later to say I had confirmed I did not have the items and could they please let me check the room. They never called me back. I was hoping I had an extra key and went to try to get in the room myself. Some worker saw me and I told them the story. They let me in and of course my clothes were there.

Next night at the bar having the free complementary glass of champange that they gave us for the horrible night we had before, my husband went to the restroom and this man called me a horrible name I won't repeat because I didn't like Obama. Told my husband what he said and my husband ran up to him and called him a coward...and many other choice works for talking to a woman like that and the guy called security and turned my husband in for assault. My husband spent the night in jail because of this guy. Now we had to hire and attorney and go back there. Security should have just kicked the guy out!

To top it off, the night my husband was in jail I got to hear the next door gay gentleman having a sexual relationship starting at 3:00 a.m.

It ruined our whole trip and month. I recommend that everyone boycott this hotel. We are in our early 50's and just wanted to have a good time and see out country now that our kids are grown and gone.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ksteinin
dana point ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2010

As a mid-50's parent traveling with my 23 year old daughter to assess the law schools to which she was accepted, this property practically trumped American University's Washington School of Law. We were truly treated like royalty. A brief email of introduction and the purpose of our vist was sent to the hotel prior to our stay (always a good idea). We were graciously accorded an upgrade as well as multiple congratulations to my daughter by the well informed staff. And, while we are designated as SPG Platinum guests, the attention and service were stellar beyond our expectations.

The accommodations are, in a word, gorgeous. The original architecture of the Hotel Washington remains intact in both its guest rooms and public spaces. Lots of light and - during our visit - demonstrations! We were front and center across from the Department of the Treasury on Friday for one demonstration against the escalation of troops in Afganistan. Sunday, March 21st was, of course, the Health Care Reform Vote.
Lots of excitement and involvement in our nation's capitol...

The beds are a dream, as are the bathroom amenities, linens and water pressure. L&G Steakhouse is divine - but be sure to check out their wine bar downstairs (only accessible through the restaurant). It is at street level with amazing views through open windows. We were told that, by late spring, there will be outside seating available on the patio/sidewalk space.

As Platinum SPG members, we are often impressed - which is why we are loyal to the brand. However, this property has completely outdone itself with service, amenities, a gorgeous space and - truly - a genuine effort to accommodate their guests. This one is a keeper.

Lastly, make every effort to visit the POV Terrace - without a doubt, the most elegant and compelling view in all of D.C. Shortly before lunch on a weekday is the best bet and their offerings - both on the food and libation side - are delicious and reasonable.

• Stayed March 2010
LulubelleT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2010

We live in the DC area, are in our late 30's/early 40's and had a party to do to at the W Hotel. It was right after our mamouth snowstorm and we had been alone with three small children for almost 12 days. Ugh. We decided to stay the night after the party for some adult alone time and to sleep in!

The room was standard, smartly designed, small but did not feel cramped. The bed was lovely and so was the shower. The Bliss Spa amenities are always nice too. The breakfast in bed was delicious but expensive. We got a great room rate so this was not horrible. We watched a movie in bed, my husband went to the gym and they let us have late check out.

My only real complaint is that overnight valet parking is $50 -- insanity. The W Bar offers out of towners a beautiful view over the White House, Washington Monument and the National Mall. We've also eaten at the JG Steakhouse on a separate occasion and the food was great. Worth a splurge!

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Mission Hills, KS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

I am a platium SPG member and travel to DC fequently. I have now stayed at the W-Hotel in DC for six weeks over the past three months. I truly enjoy my stays at this hotel and recommend it for the following reasons:

Location - The hotel is in a prime location in downtown DC. It is next to the Whtie House and within walking distance of the Metro Center Metro Stop. The hotel is close to great shopping, wonderful restaurants, and most of the key tourist attractions. Try the Corner Bakery for breakfast rather than eating at the hotel if you want to save a few bucks.

Trendy - The hotel has (3) very trendy bars - The Living Room (which is the lobby), J&G Cellar Bar (soon to expand outdoors), and the world famous POV/Terrace Bar. POV was recently voted the best hotel bar in the United States for several reasons (outstanding city view, great customer service, and the trendiest people in DC. The social seen at the hotel is truly the place to be in all of DC. Make sure to wear your best, since most are dressed to the 9's.

Customer Service - The hotel has the best customer service around. The staff is always acknowledging guests and trying to make your stay as pleasent as possible. I love the staff.

Hotel Rooms - I have stayed in most all types of rooms. There are (3) medium size suites on each floor with one larger corner suite which is spectacular. The bathrooms in these sutes are incrediable. You'll have to see it to believe it. The other rooms are smaller in size but still very nice. The beds are very comfortable. Rooms are very clean. Try to get a room facing the Washington Memorial since the view is great.

Gym - The gym is average at best. Equipment is not always working but very clean. There is always bottled water and apples available.

If you're looking for a newer hotel with a great location in downtown DC, try the W-Hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business