“Fantastic Location”

Ranked #54 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Chicago
“Fantastic Location”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the W for three nights, beginning on July 19, 2014. As others have stated, the location can't be beat, right next to the famous Willard Hotel and close to the White House, Washington Memorial, Metro Station, restaurants and more. Our room was small (queen size bed) and faced the courtyard and the windows have a painted design on them (in white) so it did feel a bit confining. Upon check-in I asked if there were any rooms facing the street (we got the hotel through Priceline) and the only rooms she could offer were below the nightclub and I knew I didn't want one of those rooms because of the noise. She did say something might open up on Sunday, but I never checked on that because I didn't feel like moving rooms for only a three-night stay. The upside of the room was that it was very very quiet. And yes, the bathroom situation is a bit weird with the sink and vanity out in the open instead of in a separate room but I knew what to expect from other reviews. The coffee served in the lobby was really good and also little breakfast bars (kind of like granola bars but better) were put out daily. All in all, we were very pleased with the W Hotel and the friendly staff--if you want a good location for sightseeing, this is the place to be. Also the lobby has retained some of the grandeur of the former Washington Hotel and I liked that.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Korean first
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed here for four nights in July after scoring a great deal on Hotwire. As everyone says, the location is truly ideal. The Metro Center stop is only 0.3 mile away, and several restaurants and shops are located within a 5-10 minute walk. The White House is just around the corner. The rooms were nice, but a little on the small side, but certainly not cramped. Also, as others have mentioned, the bathrooms offer no privacy. The roof top bar was lovely, with a great view, but it should be noted that there is a dress code (i.e., no sneakers, no shorts, etc.), but it is not really enforced since so many families and tourists are patrons. Everyone working in the hotel went out of their way to be cheerful and helpful, and overall, our stay was great!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2014

...I can't believe they still charge for internet use in the guest rooms?? What hotel in 2014 charges for wifi???? Now, getting off my soap box, this hotel is actually pretty awesome. Very nice rooms (quite funky) and cool public areas. In particular the roof terrace in the evening is amazing - with view of the Washington Monument and the White House. Spectacular.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ockendons
Chester
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Took advantage of the book 2 nights with the 3rd night free deal. Had room on the 8th floor, could just see the chimneys of the White House from the bedroom window! Modern glass bathroom might not be to everyone's taste. Fantastic views from the roof top bar on the 10th floor but it seemed to be visited by a lot of non residents. Had an acceptable meal up here on the Sunday night, view was better than the meal! No tea/coffee making facilities in the room but a machine was available on request. Struggled though to get further coffee & milk supplies. Disappointing for a hotel of this standard. Great views from the breakfast room, also on the 10th floor. Ideal location for the "hop on-hop off" bus tours. If re-visiting would use this hotel due to it's location, impressive foyer & lounge area.

Room Tip: Don't have a room near the lift as it "pings" upon arrival at each floor. Some seem bi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 20, 2014

The hotel was fresh and modern and well appointed. Fantastic central location and roof top bar. But by far the best part was the outstanding customer service. I was sick while I was there and the staff went well out of their way to get me items from the pharmacy when I couldn't myself. I was really well looked after. My sincere thanks to their team.

Room Tip: Get an outward facing room
Green Features: Very good - you can opt out of daily cleaning to save on washing linen
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear MIMcDermott,

I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed your experience, although that was not the best one from a health stand point. We pride ourselves to deliver whatever our guests need and sometime... this has nothing to do with hotel related aminities. It is the way it should always be and our talents will be glad to see that you were happy with their responsivness.

Should your plans take you back to the city in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly so I can ensure that this time, you take advantage of the whole experience.

Stay tuned and be well.
Nairobi
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Great hotel in a superb location, cool top floor bar with amazing views, and great service but with the ongoing refurbishment of the 515 bar and main restaurant, only a four in my book. I look forward to coming back in October when it should be back to its regular high and funky standards

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Nairobijohn,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I definitely invite you to taste our new "look and feel" in a couple of months. After five years in operation, we felt it was time to revisit our restaurant concept as well as our popular rooftop terrace design.
More to come so stay tuned...
In the meantime, we do still serve a nice selection of dishes and bites in our living room where you also can indulge some great entertainment and music programming.

Have a fantastic day.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Despite my SPG Gold status, room was so small, not well maintained (even toilet paper dispenser loose and paper keeps falling into the trash can). Staff was very nice and accommodating. POV on rooftop is very pricey even at Happy Hour" (none) and bar bite choices limited.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank artf1717
Dear Artff1717,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I have read your concerns about the size of the room and your SPG Gold status. As you well know, being Gold status entitles you to the next room category than the one you have booked, upon availability.
The W Washington DC offers Wonderful rooms with internal view on the courtyard and Spectacular rooms with external views on the streets around the hotel. Both room type have the same size, which is indicated on our web site.
Please reach out to me directly so I can identify the room you were in, and have the maintenance issues fixed immediately if not done yet.

I would be glad that you let us know when you plan to be in town next. We will make sure that you fully enjoy your experience.

Stay well.