“Very nice, but very expensive”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #59 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed March 7, 2014

A very nice hotel. Comfortable, modern room and friendly efficient staff. Just a couple of blocks from the White House. I ate 2 meals in the hotel restaurant, the food was good but not spectacular.
But it is very expensive. This was a business trip so we were traveling on a blocked room rate, and even with that I still had to get special approval because of the rate.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Thank you for your review. W Washington DC is known for our location as we are very close to the White House, but also every museum and momument in DC. Our luxurious environment is exceptional for groups, business travelers, and our leisure travelers looking to have inside access to Washington DC. When your travels bring you back to Washington, do not forget to connect with our W Insider, Zineb (zineb.tourougui@whotels.com), who can easily connect you with what is new/next in Washington.

All the best,
Olivier Servat
GMOlivier.Servat@whotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,341)

Reviewed March 6, 2014

The "W" folks have done a great job of renovating an extremely old building with relatively new amenities. The hotel is literally around the corner from the White House, which you can see from the roof-top bar. This place is definitely for a "hip" crowd and has expensive parking. I made the mistake of taking a King room, forgetting this was an old hotel with New York size rooms. I literally had to squeeze the desk chair into a small space between the bed and desk. Unless you really need a king bed, go for a queen.

Room Tip: Beware small rooms. Stick with a queen bed for extra room in the room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ohtobeinsandiego
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Thank you for your wonderful note! We truly appreciate this and are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Your experience is a true testament to the Whatever/Whenever service culture at W Hotels.I understand that you faced disappointment in regards to the size of your king Room. I wish that we had the ability to offer each and every one of our guests a larger room or a suite. The W Washington D.C. is formerly the Hotel Washington, a National Historic Building. Upon renovation in 2009 we had little control over some facets of the building….such as room size and the façade. To make up for this, we do try to create a warm and comfortable experience in the Living Room, rooftop, with amenities, and with our personalized Whatever Whenever® service. If you decide to visit us in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards.
Gmolivier.servat@whotels.com

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights/3 days for a conference i needed to attend in DC. Hotel has a great location, about 1.5 miles from Union Station and right by the White House. It was a quick 20 minutes walk to the Walter E. Washington Convention Center where my conference was. Also had a Starbucks and CVS around the corner.
I arrived before check in and as expected there were no rooms available. They allowed me to check my bags with them and I went to the convention center. I came back around 6pm and collected my bags and room keys. I was assigned to room 344, with a king bed and only a shower. The room key is RFID and is required to access the elevator. When I entered my room, it looked nice, but I couldn't figure out how to get the too lights to full normal status. There were a bunches of switches and dials and I kept fiddling with all of them. It took me a good 10 minutes to get the lights on. This should not happen.
The room has 2 free bottles of Dasani water as well as 2 bottles of smart water for $5. There were also 2 bottles of wine, but they were not labeled with a price or listed on the minibar menu. Room contained a king bed, chair and leg rest, work desk and desk chair. There was also a TV, closet and mini bar. Mini bar prices were actually among the highest I have ever seen, anywhere.
The bathroom was nice. The sink had 2 taps and the shower head was waterfall. There were bliss spa amenities in the bathrooms. Guest room wifi was 14.95 per day which I declined to pay even though my phone has 4G.
The lobby had free wifi as well as free newspapers, coffee, and apples in the mornings. Staff were very friendly and courteous in my interactions with them. All in all, a great property.

Room Tip: My AT&T 4G/LTE was very weak in my room. Not sure if it was a problem with my phone or my room...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank pabloB22

Thank you for your wonderful note! We truly appreciate this detail feedback about our facility and service. Your experience is a true testament to the Whatever/Whenever service culture at W Hotels.
If you need anything else in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us pre-arrival.

Best regards.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

The W is a nice hotel. Rating was tough -it is certainly above average but the "very good" may be an exaggeration. Stayed here for a weekend with my daughter which included spa visit so the Bliss Spa was a big consideration. Room was small but comfortable. Bed was comfortable and sleep was undisturbed by outside noise. Bathroom was large and well-appointed. We joked we should sleep in there. Staff was helpful if not always super attentive (door opened or not?)
Location is excellent and the spa was wonderful. The W falls between a luxury hotel and an average one. For real luxury there are better and for average there are better deals.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

While I am delighted to hear that you and your daughter had a great time at the W and Bliss, its disappoints me that your overall stay was average as we pride ourselves to offer an outstanding service in a relaxing environment; which ties with a modern vision of luxury.
Thank you so much for your feedback. I greatly appreciate you sharing your concerns. This is not reflective of the W brand and the service that we have been known to provide. Hopefully one day we can WOW you in true W fashion.
Do not hesitat to contact me in case of future stay.

Olivier Servat, General manager

Reviewed March 3, 2014

The W Washington DC property was a very well appointed hotel with one of the more convenient locations in all of downtown DC. Neighboring The US Treasury with a direct line of sight to The White House and The Washington Monument, the W Washington was created out of a detailed renovation of the historic Hotel Washington. The historic element does not escape the grand lobby, with modern, plush seating and decor woven into impressive design. Like all W brand hotels, there is an unmistakable heartbeat evident as you move through the lobby up to the 11th floor rooftop terrace that has full bar service available with breathtaking views of both The White House and The National Mall. Upon check-in, I was lucky enough to be recognized as a Platinum SPG member and was amazed at my Wow Suite complimentary upgrade- there is no greater luxury than a W room, and to have a suite in this hotel was even more amazing. The room was clean and extremely comfortable, with a very spacious bathroom that included both a large shower and luxurious bath. The service from valet-in to valet out was superb, including the dinner at J&G Steakhouse. I would highly recommend booking at the this hotel if you have the needs for a wonderful Washington DC location and want to take in the sexy W atmosphere.

Room Tip: I had room 906- Wow Corner Suite- and I did not hear any of the nightclub. I could imagine that pat...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your great feedback. You really got the vibe that we are trying to create at the W Washington.

Best regards.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We just returned from a week stay at the W. The service from the entire staff was 5 star indeed. They know good customer service for sure. The hotel is 100 years old but recently remodeled & very nice. It is in a great location to the mall & the White House. Be sure to check out the roof top bar. The best view in the city. The hotel has no gift shop & our room did not have a mini fridge. It had a fully stocked mini bar. The in room internet is $14.99 per 24 hour period. It is free in the lobby. I would give it a 5 star total rating if they fixed these items. Holiday Inn & Best Western have free internet & a mini fridge.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your wonderful note.

Olivier Servat, General manager

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Typical W property, with very nice, modern decor and oriented towards nightlife. Location right next to White House and National Mall. My standard room was nicely decorated with interesting lighting options, but dark and tiny. No coffee maker in the room, which is a major minus for jet lagged travellers (there is free coffee in the lobby early in the morning). Service is the typical slightly snotty/hip W attitude, but sometimes that just seems cover up for incompetence. I got a very good price on this hotel through hotwire, so I had decent value for money overall. However, anyone paying the standard rates will likely feel ripped off. There are better options in the vicinity and one can easily enjoy the impressive design in the W's bars and restaurants without having to stay at the hotel.

Room Tip: rooms on third floor are in range of free wifi from Lounge
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank lupo_mm
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback about your recent experience. A W, we take our guest feedback very seriously as it helps us improve our performance and provide exceptional service to our guests. W is known for our location, amazing rooftop bar, and exceptional restaurant, J&G, which I am glad you were able to enjoy while you were with us. Our team strives very hard to provide personalized service, so I'm surprised and disappointed to hear that you experienced anything different. When your travel brings you back to Washington, please feel free to reach out to me directly so that I can oversee your experience personally.

All the best,