“Welcome to Washington!”

Ranked #55 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“Welcome to Washington!”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Can't say enough about the great staff at the W! From the doormen to the desk to the wait staff in the restaurant, ALL were just so friendly and eager to please!! The doormen always chatted with us when we left, hailed us cabs, and greeted us warmly when we returned. Same for the staff at the desk. We loved our room (#940)...very spacious, excellent bed, lovely bath, beautiful draperies and interesting accessories...very cozy! The main lobby was not to our taste, though the architecture of the room is lovely. We wondered if a first-year interior design student did it for a contest...almost tacky, with the electric light strips woven into beautiful crystal chandeliers, and then they turn all kinds of colors...really?! But the rest of the interior design work is credible, especially in the restaurant. It is a stretch to call the housekeeping staff "stylists." My only complaint was that we twice requested at the front desk and wrote a note once to the maid asking for more Keurig coffees to be left for the next morning, and we never did receive them except the first of our three nights there. Also thought it odd that there was no Coke machine in the building anywhere.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a larger room...we did and got one with a king-size bed and a very spacious fo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gretchen K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Korean first
Whistler, Canada
Reviewed January 27, 2014

As opposed to being a W built from the ground up this is a refurb of an existing hotel so the layout and room have some restrictions due to the architecture. It's fairly average as far as Ws go - so there's really nothing here to rave about like a crazy pool or spa - or even the actual rooms. The rooftop bar is pretty slick with a view of the White House so definitely check that out but otherwise nothing too exceptional considering the high price tag for a stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jurajfox
Boston, MA
Reviewed January 26, 2014

This is a comfortable hotel with very good service, but did not particularly suit me. On the positive side, the location is superb, just a block from the White House (We walked over in the evening and took pictures) and central DC. Service was also top notch, from the door/bellman to the front desk and lobby bar.

We were there for a business function, and the function space and meals that were served were all excellent.

Rooms are contemporary, with some funky LED lights scattered around, a sort of chaise on one side, very comfortable beds and a very contemporary bath with rain head shower. The shower left much to be desired, as there was very little pressure (a common flaw with rain heads, from what I understand) and there is now handheld shower head. The room lighting was underwhelming. There were no real room lights other than the atmosphere lights, so the room was rather dark. There was a very weak desk lamp that was also more for atmosphere than task lighting. There was a mini-bar with the usual high-priced drinks and snacks. There is a large room safe, sufficient for a normal lap top computer. My room was near the elevators, and I could hear the bell and doors when they arrived at my floor. There was no coffee maker in the room, although it could be requested. Also sorely lacking were outlets, especially near the bed. There was a panel near the desk to plug in computers and such, but nothing at my bedside to allow charging a phone on the nightstand. One other thing - either the window was not well sealed or just not well insulated - freezing cold air poured in from the window area. Fortunately, I like to sleep in a colder room, but not so much during awake times.

The lobby is very attractive, with a comfortable bar area. However at night, they play loud music, so there is no place to sit and have a quiet drink or even carry on a conversation while waiting for a cab, etc. There is a roof bar, so management might consider leaving things just a scosche quieter in the lobby and the louder scene upstairs.

Room Tip: Even though the hotel is within view of the White House, the best view of the White House is the top...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Guest feedback is our best instrument to find ways in which we are meeting or exceeding expectation, and also those in need of improvement.

There are aspects of the rooms that need to be refreshed. I assure you that replacing the shower and working on the lighting is an ongoing process and priority. I understand the frustration and discomfort that you faced. However, It is great to hear that each and every talent member embodied Whatever Whenever, our service culture at W hotels.

Kind regards,

Olivier Servat, General Manager
gmolivier.servat@whotels.com
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Since my initial very positive review a few years ago, we have had several disappointing stays in addition to sales staff not even bothering to respond to two requests for proposals for meetings. With staff that appears to have an attitude problem, small rooms, high rates, and a roof-deck bar where hotel guests seem to be considered second class customers there are many better options at that price point. Also, the SPG Platinum breakfast offered at this property is the stingiest I have encountered to date, but clearly reflective of the overall service spirit at this property.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed January 13, 2014

My husband, 7 year old daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights. Walked to everything! Loved every minute of our stay! High-end atmosphere...not really geared towards families... I would have liked more time on the rooftop bar, but that was our choice to stay there with a kid. Great stay!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Joy A
VA
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Bottom line: Great hotel, a solid 4 star hotel (I reserve 5s for places like the NYC St. Regis). Will stay here again for another date night.

We're local to the area but we stayed there for a night at the Kennedy Center, a nice dinner and then dancing at their club (POV).

Start of with the bad or not so good:
1) Didn't get my Suite Night Awards - This is a problem I have across all SPG properties, I have a bunch of these awards and can't remember the last time I was able to redeem one. Very frustrating.
2) Odd bathroom door, the sliding door has a huge gap when closed. I'm not shy, been in the Army and have lived in barracks where the toilets had no walls. I understand that the sliding door saves space but they could be better. My wife and I have been together a long time but seeing each other go to the bathroom is not on our bucket list.

The Good:
1) Great friendly staff.
2) Very comfortable bed and insanely nice pillows. The bed is the second best bed I have ever slept in (1st place was the St. Regis) and my wife absolutely loved the pillows. Unfortunately my wife wants me to get her these pillows which I believe are about $100-150 each.
3) Nice room. Even though I didn't get a Suite Night award, I did get a larger room with a view of the Treasury building. Read some reviews of thin walls but I didn't hear anyone else (while waiting for the elevator we did hear some loud people from the hallway). I believe the club is on the 11th floor but the noise from the club was very faint in room 912 and didn't bother us at all. Given that they told us that we were upgraded to a larger room I'd probably by un-satisfied with a smaller room.
4) Great breakfast. As platinum members, we got a free continental breakfast, which like the Westin in Charlotte, included salmon, prosciutto and salami. The Westin in Charlotte allowed me to upgrade to a full breakfast for $5. This place has a strange policy which was an $18 credit or free continental but couldn't combine them.
5) Fun club on the rooftop. Bartender we used was generous with the alcohol. Music wasn't my favorite but it was still fun. It sucked not being able to sit down and a fight broke out but we still had a great deal of fun. BTW, our rum/Jack and cokes were only about $9 each, which I think was decent.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Short Hills, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed at W in Washington DC last month and were quite disappointed with the service levels. Here are the specifics:
1. On reservation, we were told that the premier class of rooms have the view of the Washington Monument. No such luck. We faced the Treasury building and had no view of the monument or the White House
2. We requested a coffee maker and it took more than an 90 minutes for it to be delivered. The lady told us in an irritated voice on third reminder that she is alone and it will take time to meet the request
3. The phone in our children's room was not working. The technician came, fiddled around for 15 minutes and then said it is broken!
4. Room service took about an hour (just some desserts)
However, to be fair to the hotel, they accepted all the short comings and took of many of the charges which made us feel better. The front desk staff was able to at least able to salvage the situation a bit during the check out!
The location is quite good for the museums, white house, national mall. Service was poor but that is maybe because we were there over the Thanksgiving weekend and the hotel was very short staffed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sandeep T
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We take your concerns very seriously as it helps us improve our performance and provide superior guest service. We are known for our wonderful views of the Washington Monument, which can be seen from our Marvelous, WOW, and E-WOW suites, which is our premier guest rooms. POV, our roof top lounge, is known by locals and enjoyed by all for it's exceptional views of the White House and Washington Monument. I'm surprised to hear that the team was not responsive to your needs as they strive very hard to execute our "Whatever/Whenever" service culture. When your travels bring you back to Washington, please reach out to me directly so that I can ensure you have a true W experience.

All the best,