“Weekend trip”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #56 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Was in DC for the MC Marathon and stayed at the W for location. This W Hotel is like all the others -- trendy, sleek, modern. Room was and bed were comfortable, however I was a little surprised by how small the room was. My one major complaint was the service at the rooftop restaurant. Go up to see the view, but don't stay. Service was one of the worst I have ever experienced.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Hello,

Thank you for writing a review and providing us with your feedback. The team at POV works hard to provide exceptional customer service so I'm surprised to hear feedback like yours. Please accept my sincerest apologies for not living up to our service model, "Whatever/Whenever." I will be working directly with the leadership team to ensure comments like these do not repeat themselves. When your travels bring you back to W Washington DC, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly so that I can oversee your experience personally.

GMOlivier.Servat@whotels.com

There are newer reviews for W Washington D.C.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I really do love W's as part of the Starwood/SPG line. W's tend to be ultra modern and very swanky. For those, that love a more traditional and less modern hotel this would not be the hotel for you. I do have to say the W is impeccable in its décor and as well Service. The rooms are clean, well appointed, and of course have the Bliss products for shampoo, soap, etc. The rooms are not huge unless you are going to be staying in the suites however, well appointed.

There are a lot of restaurants within walking distance of the W-DC. In fact, you are just minutes from the White House and other DC monuments.

I had drinks and lunch at POV Terrace Rooftop and it was beyond delicious! Totally yum. The prices are not any higher then your mid scale DC restaurant. I would definitely recommend folks to go to this lovely resto-bar. The drinks are delish!! Must try mojito!

As well make sure to check out the 'living room' and the cute nook right to the left of the reception area.

Customer Service was just fine, nothing extraordinary however, very much the 'norm' of what I expect at a W - e.g. friendly, courteous, and efficient.

I always would recommend a W to anyone - I have stayed at many from Istanbul, London, Montreal, etc and now in lovely DC!

I encourage anyone to have a 'W-moment!!"

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights at the end of December. We were greeted with a glass of champagne and a very friendly receptionist. We were given a superior room which though small was perfectly formed. The bed was really comfortable and the bathroom clean and spacious. My only gripe would be I had to run the shower for at least a few minutes before any hot water came through. The POV bar is a must, with fantastic views of the White House. All in all fantastic location and very pleasant stay.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed in the W in Washington DC very recently, and I have to say I was somewhat underwhelmed by the experience. Don't get me wrong - the room was clean, the bed was pretty comfortable, and the staff were very friendly and helpful for the most part (tip for the porters - it's a good idea not to put two 23kg bags on top of a set of golf clubs balanced between the uprights of a luggage trolley..... no damage done, thankfully).

However, the size and location of the room versus the price paid did not tally. Another common complaint with many hotels I've been in is the thickness (or lack of it) of the walls - TV and conversation noise through the walls was not welcome for two jet lagged people who wanted to sleep.

Overall, OK, but I doubt I'll stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to write a review of your experience at W. I am pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy the wonderful team here as they do an excellent job providing personalized service to our guests. I will be sure to put them in the spotlight to celebrate their successes.

I'm sorry that the room did not meet your expectations in terms of value for the price you paid. When your travels bring you back to Washington, we hope you'll give us another chance. If you do decided to return to W Washington DC, please reach out to me so that I can ensure the room you receive lives up to your expectations.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

The W Hotel is very close to the White House and the National Christmas Tree making it an ideal location for a stay. I live in the DC area and wanted a one night outing for me and the wife. The hotel lobby and restaurants are clean and have nice staff. Matt in the POV rooftop lounge was very attentive and was nice enough to give us some of his "WOW" points for a couple free drinks and appetizer. We did spend a lot of time and $$$ while we were there, so I am sure that helped a bit. The view at the POV is nice. A direct view of the Old Executive Office Bldg and a good portion of the White House as well as Lincoln (distant) and Washington Monument. Our room (1014 - renovated) was small but clean and also looked at the same views. The POV is open to 2AM and can get a bit loud, but the staff told us that before we checked in and we were good with it. The continental breakfast was free (Platinum amenity) but seemed limited compared to other hotels. Parking was $50 per night... ouch

Room Tip: The staff should be able to advise you of all of the pros and cons on room views. Ours told us ever...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights back in november. Had a warm and friendly welcome. Beautiful lobby annex bar: an old building renovated with respect, filled with nice & fancy 'bling bling'-design like cosy seats etc. The rooftop bar POV has the best views on the DC skyline including the White House. Worth to sit back, relax and having drinks over there! Food was great at the rooftop bar!
My room was spacious, but had no direct daylight. Windows were decorated with transparent "stickers" to avoid views on the airco-system (understandable, but I would prefer no stickers but plenty of light) Unfortunately the curtains were dirty and outworn (they really need to be replaced!) Compared with the look and design of the lobby, bars and restaurant, I think the rooms don't have that fancy and fresh atmosphere. Beside the room that needs to be refreshed and redecorated in my opinion, choosing for this W hotel was a good choice. The location is the best to visit DC and all major monuments. The staff is really friendly and helpful. Had all comfort & anementies I expected. Only my room needed more of "that W-feeling".

Room Tip: Ask for a room with plenty of daylight!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very glad that you were able to enjoy our wonderful outlets, especially the amazing views at POV. The team strives very hard to provide superior service, so I will be sure to share your nice comments with them.

I do apologize that the condition of your room did not meet your same expectations. I assure you that I will work with my team to address these issues immediately. When your travels bring you back to Washington, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Been here several times before and I've come to conclusion that it's very hit and miss. The communal areas and bars are very nice, but the rooms vary dramatically from light and spacious with all mod-cons, to dark and dingy without even the most basic utilities. My last room didn't even have a plug.
If you could guarantee the former, then this would be a good hotel even if the staff and hotel are a little too interested in looking good...
You pay for location and, I believe, the fact that you stayed and were seen in the W. There are certainly better hotels in Washington, but the location and commual areas are very good.

Room Tip: Get a room facing out as many rooms face inwards and are both small and dark.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Hello,

I apologize for your recent experience at W Washington DC. We pride ourselves in service and understanding each of our guests' personal preferences. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will be used to help enhance our service. I am glad you were able to enjoy our wonderful outlets such as POV, J&G, and the Living Room Bar. When your travels bring you back to Washington, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at GMOlivier.Servat@Whotels.com so I can oversee your room preferences personally.