“Another Great W Stay”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #58 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 3, 2013

4.5 Stars.

After staying near Dupont Circle for business, we checked into the W. I loved this hotel.

Fun, modern design in the lobby (feels like South Beach). Check-in process was quick and we were able to get a room despite arriving prior to 2 p.m. Our room was – to be polite – quite "cozy", but everything was so smartly designed that I didn’t mind. Loved the modern showers, sink, and floating white cabinets. As with all W hotels, the room came with Bliss Lemon toiletries, which I really appreciated. Room looked onto courtyard (into other hotel rooms), so we closed the blinds after check-in and didn't re-open them.

We ate at the JG Steakhouse downstairs one night and it did not disappoint. Get the steak! :)

Location was super convenient to the White House, the National Mall, and Ford’s Theatre.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
WHotelDC, Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Hello iheartsc_01,

Thank you for your review. We are glad you liked our modern design mixed with the original French Renaissance styling. J&G Steakhouse offer some of the most amazing creations by Michelin Starred chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten to tempt your taste buds. We hope you were able to enjoy the patio with their perfect view of Pennsylvania Ave. Please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need on your next escape.

Best Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (2,338)

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Early in June, I spent two nights at the W in DC on a business trip. The room was small but adequate; unremarkable. On the morning of my departure, I failed to check all the dresser drawers when I was packing and inadvertently left a leather Burberry bag behind. I never place handbags in a drawer but there is very little room in the closet and the room is small, so I put my bag in a drawer. When I arrived home later that day and unpacked, I immediately realized that my bag was missing and I knew precisely what had happened. I called the hotel and spoke to someone in security, telling them exactly which drawer the bag was in. The security person also informed me that no one had checked into my room in the hours that had passed since I checked out. That was great news, I thought. Well, they called me back after checking my room to inform me that they did not find my bag in my room and that no bag had been turned in to lost and found. I was assured that they would "investigate" internally and get back to me in a day or so. Well, I never heard from them so after a couple of weeks passed, I wrote to W Hotels (Starwood). I received a response from customer service letting me know that they were sorry that I "lost" my handbag. I advised them that I didn't "lose" it; I knew precisely where it was. I also shared with them my disappointment with the integrity of the staff since it was clearly taken by hotel personnel; housekeeping or mini bar service. A series of emails ensued but my favorite came from the office of the hotel's general manager. Again, they were sorry about my handbag and then they actually reminded me that hotel safe deposit boxes are available to guests for their "valuables." Seriously, they think guests should place their designer handbags in safe deposit boxes!! I guess I should be grateful that I didn't forget to pack one of my Chanel bags. It's all very disconcerting... what exactly is the difference between finding something (and not turning it in) that belongs to a guest that has checked out and helping yourself to an item while the guest is still in residence?

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank AIDA G

Hello AIDA G,

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to apologize for the service and the issue you experienced during your stay. Your feedback has been sent our General Manager and Security Team to address. We take our guests security very seriously. We hope to welcome you back again soon on your next trip.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We live in the Washington, DC metro area so we know this hotel fairly well. My wife wanted to celebrate her birthday at POV, on top of the W and so I got us a room to stay the night. First, know what to expect when staying at this W. It is not a good tourist hotel –say traveling with small children. Yes, it’s in a great location, two blocks from the White House, three blocks from the National Mall, close to several good restaurants, etc. But on the weekend’s in particular, it transforms into a pseudo-South Beach want-to-be night club. Now, DC is a great place for smart lawyers, lobbyists and policy makers. We are NOT New York, Miami or Los Angeles and thus we, as a whole lack what you call “coolness”. Yes, we have money, but of course, just having money is not that impressive. With all that being said, in the evening the lobby is sectioned off with the infamous velvet rope. Security is everywhere telling you where you can’t go and what line you can’t get in. Since we were staying at the hotel, I had the magic “key card” which allowed my guests and me direct access to the special elevator to the rooftop while everyone else had to watch us be escorted through the velvet rope. Jumping the line was nice.

POV
You can read other recommendation about POV, so I won’t got into any detail. But because it’s so associated with the hotel it deserves some mention. It’s crowded, overpriced and basically just like any other crowded and overpriced night club. To me the most distinguishing characteristic about POV was the general age of the crowd which must have been 30-35. I only saw a few “interns” and lowly paid Hill/White House staff. Most people seemed to be well established in the DC. By that I mean they have more disposable income than the 20 year olds in town.

The Room
Given the reputation for noise and rowdiness the W has, I had very low expectation about actually sleeping that night. However, I was very pleased to discover that I was not disturbed at all. Of course, we didn’t go to bed until 2:00 am, so perhaps we missed everyone. The room was typical W, contemporary and nice. The sink in the bathroom was less than desirable as it stretched in the entire length of the counter thus not allowing for many of your items to be in the counter. We had a corner suite and the living room was comfortable and the view amazing

The Service
I had both the great and not so great. After I made my online reservations, I called to get a table at POV. I told them eight people. The day before POV called to confirm “two people”. I called them back to explain no it was eight. After multiple calls to both POV and the hotel, the next day, I finally got hold of a POV manager who was extremely helpful and apologetic for the hassle. On the positive side, hotel staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I got an email at 10:45 pm the night we were at POV checking on me. It was quiet all morning. Breakfast was good and checkout easy.

1  Thank MWYoung

Hello MWYoung,

Thank you for your review. We do have the perfect location with only steps to The White House and a short walk to many major landmarks. We would like to apologize for the service issue you had. We will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to address. We hope you will consider our hotel for future travels.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I dealt with a terrible bartender named "Tracy", with a partially shaved head. She was rude, and fraudulently charged me more than what the bill was, on my credit card. I noticed the charge on my credit card the next day, and was furious. The bar is nice, but the drinks are pretty expensive and this bartender was terrible.

1  Thank WashSS
WHotelDC, Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Hello WashSS,

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to apologize for the service you received in our bar. We take pride in our service and will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to address. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Have stayed at several W hotels and other Starwood hotels. This is by far the worst one that I have ever been to. From the website, it looks sleek, hip, nice. No. Rude waiters at rooftop bar, which is admittedly a great view. Even "manager" said we needed to get up from our seats because someone would be coming in later. Then nobody would serve us. When asked the manager, she passed request on to server that said, "what? are they in a hurry?" RUDE. UNPROFESSIONAL. No maid service. Evidently you are supposed to call if you want your room "styled". No paper at our door. Others got them. Upon arrival there was previous guests food tray at door. No hot water. Room extremely small even though an "upgrade" because of starwood member. The list goes on. Oh, and shag carpet that looks like it has enough DNA to replicate several people if cloning is something you are into. There are so many other hotels at this price point. There is no reason to stay here. If you want to see the rooftop bar, go have a peak and leave.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
2  Thank BeenthereSeenit5050

Hello BeenthereSeenit505,

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to apologize for the service you received during your stay. We will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to address our Service Culture. We greatly appreciate you as our guest and would love to speak with you more in regards to the service you received. Please send us an email to wdcsocial@whotels.com and we will get back to you right away.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because of the great location. Was spot on... everything in walkng distance. First time staying at the W Hotel, so I didn't know what to expect. Wow, what a cool property. The lobby is beautiful - so much character. Rooms were comfortable. Cool looking bathroom. Staff super attentive. We checked out the roof top - incredible views. We enjoyed the rest aunt in the hotel for breakfast. All around great stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Hello JTravelin,

Thank you for your review. We do have a great location with a short walk to many of the major landmarks in The District. Our designers combined the French Renaissance styling with W’s modern cool to create our unique look. We are so happy you stayed with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We recently celebrated our wedding at this hotel. Even though the wedding was small (10 attendees total) the staff worked with us to make it a truly memorable event. The ceremony itself was held on the hotel's rooftop terrace with spectacular views. Every staff member we encountered went out of their way to ensure we and our guests were made to feel welcome. The venue for our wedding luncheon was the hotel's J&G Steakhouse. The staff was thoroughly knowledgeable about the menu offerings and provided professional yet discrete service. The hotel room we occupied was small yet comfortable. It was nicely appointed with a contemporary flair. The location of the hotel could not be more convenient for anyone visiting Washington DC.

Hello SpacecoastFlorida,

Thank you for your review. We were so happy to help you celebrate such a special day. We do have the perfect location in downtown with a short walk to many of the major landmarks. We will be sending your review to our General Manager to share with our staff. We hope to welcome you back on your next escape.