“Good option in DC”

Ranked #54 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Sydney, Australia
“Good option in DC”
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Rooms: Lucky enough to be upgraded to a Fabulous Suite on arrival. However, I would expect that all rooms were appointed to the same quality, even if size differed. It was very comfortable. Even though I didn't have guests, it is large enough to hold a meeting, or have a couple of people come and sit in the lounge area. I simply enjoyed having the separate space to relax after a day of sight seeing. The Bliss products in the room were an added bonus and made me want to use hotel provided product - something I don't usually do.

Service: I found the service in the hotel and lobby bar to be wonderful. The bar staff were lovely, service quick and their approach made the lobby bar a very sociable space for a drink at the end of the day. On receiving an email wishing me the best on my last night, I requested a late check out. The manager was obliging given my room was not booked the following evening. That allowed me to make the most of my last day given I had a long haul flight ahead of me. I also took advantage of the free car service that can be booked after noon to drop me at a show. This was provided by a car company, but a really great bonus.

Location: Great for sightseeing, but not much nightlife downtown. If you want a cafe and bar scene in Washington - stay or go to Georgetown. The W was perfect for me as I only had a few days in town and I prefer to walk a city. It is within walking distance to everything from the Lincoln memorial to the Capitol. The mall is a block away. You don't have that sort of access from Georgetown so the decision is best made on what is more important to you.

Other: On site gym was well appointed. I also used the on site Bliss spa and found that to be of a high standard. Much is written about POV. It is a great space, but I couldn't get seat for dinner my first night in. The second night there were no reservations, so my suggestion would be to book well ahead for dinner. Hotel guests don't seem to get any preference. It is worth visiting, but it isn't a fine dining restaurant. The view is good and I found the service to be good too.

Worth a visit.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hello Worldticket,

Thank you for your review. We do have the perfect location with only a couple steps to The White House and a short walk to many of the major landmarks. We are so happy you enjoyed your room and loved our exclusive Bliss amenities. We greatly appreciate you as our guests and hope to welcome you back soon. Please let us know Whatever/Whenever you need on your next escape.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Korean first
connecticut
Reviewed June 22, 2013

During April, went to the POV Rooftop bar and spent $200 on drinks and appetizers in the late afternoon. Came down and asked the bellman to hail a cab for us. He replied " no, you have to get one yourself as it is a busy weekend and I can't get one for you". My husband was fuming. We crossed the street, hailed a cab in 2 seconds and were on our way to where we were staying at the Omni Shoreham. When we pulled up to the Omni, the bellman open the cab door and said "Welcome Back". What a difference in attitude and treatment! We will never ever stay at the W as clearly something as simple as hailing a cab for you is beyond their abilities. And the POV rooftop bar is not that great either - but better then the bellman -- at least we got SOME service.

Room Tip: Stay at the Omni Shoreham -- Now THAT is a wonderful hotel!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank giget1963
Hello giget1963,

Thank you for your review of our rooftop terrace. We would like to apologize for the service you received. We take pride in our service and this is not the impression we want you to have. We have sent your feedback to our General Manager to address. We hope you will visit us again soon on your next night out in Washington DC.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Have been to the POV bar at The W in Washington DC many times, and never really rate it very highly (nice for visitors during the day though). However had never really hung out in the bar in the lobby. Went there one night at around 9.30pm and it was a great atmosphere. Plenty of people, though not rediculously crowded - a reasonable number of sofas to sit on and some live music. That night it was a singer / guitarist who was very good, played music to fit the 20 -40 something atmosphere perfectly.

Drinks however, although good, are usual W prices - $15 to $17 per cocktail. But worth dropping in for an hour or so if youre on your way somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hello sjc200,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you came to our Living Room Bar to enjoy a night of cocktails and music. Our bar becomes popular in the evenings with a fun energetic crowd. On Friday and Saturday nights we bring in live music to help you enjoy your weekend. We hope to welcome you back soon for another handcrafted cocktail.

Golden, Colorado
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I spent many happy evenings at the Hotel Washington roof deck bar when I worked in DC years ago. There is no better place to have a drink on a hot night, overlooking the monuments, the White House, and Treasury. I recently returned with my family to show them DC for the first time. The Hotel Washington is now the W Washington Hotel. The good news is that the place has been spruced up, which it needed. The bad news is that it now has a lot more attitude. To begin with, nobody under 21 is allowed on the deck after 5pm. Makes sense from a revenue generation perspective, but stinks for people like me, trying to share great experiences with their children. But what really bugged me was the staff attitude. Years ago, everyone was pretty cool here -- a throwback to pre-air conditioning DC. Now everyone on staff seems to aspire to a transfer to W South Beach in Miami. Be prepared to have your blood pressure rise. That said, the view is still great, and a drink there is well worth the hassle it now (sadly) entails.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TC415
Hello TC415,

Thank you so much for your review. We do have the perfect view from our rooftop deck to enjoy a night cocktail. We are so happy you came back to revisit the hotel with your family after we re-opened. We would like to apologize for the service you received. We will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to address our service culture. We hope you will come visit us again soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Check-in was quick and easy. We were unexpectedly upgraded to the WOW suite - very appreciated for our first time at the hotel! I can't find anything at fault with this hotel and had some of my best sleeps there. I will be back again very shortly and can't wait!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Edward H,

Thank you for the review from your stay. We are so happy you stayed with us. We love giving the sweet simple things to our guests to make your stay special. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next escape and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed June 17, 2013

For starters, the rooms were very beautiful. They had a modern look to them. The bathrooms were also very nice and well maintained. The overall decor for the entire hotel was very elegant. Although I had no complaints about the hotel itself, I did have a problem with the staff who is running the rooftop lounge VIP area. First off, my friends and I are not rich snobs by any means. However, if we paid over $1000 to have a good time at one of DC's finest lounges we expect to do so. The ladies who were working our VIP area never came out to check and see how our table was doing. We had to CONSTANTLY keep looking for them in order to get more ice or juice refills. We felt like there was a lack of customer service and were doing their job for them. Also, it took them about a hour to count our money and bring us receipts as we were ready to leave. Should it have taken this long to count a few dollar bills and bring a receipt? As the night progressed we had strangers entering our VIP area and sitting down drinking from our drinks. Since I am a gentleman, I spoke with the lounge security staff in order to have them removed from our spot. I specifically recall speaking with a big, dark bouncer who was standing by the elevator. After I told him what the situation was, he rolled his eyes at me and had a very disgusting attitude. He walked VERY, VERY, slowly over to our VIP area and by then the strangers were gone. I'm sorry but I did make you walk too much? Isn't it your job to remove unwanted people from a reserved location? Once again we are NOT rich snobs but if we're celebrating a friends birthday and paying a large amount of money along with leaving nice gratuity we expect our service to be exceptional. I don't want this review to scare people away but I do want the rest of you to see what I had to deal with that night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Jay P,

Thank you for you feedback from your stay with us. We would like to apologize for the service you received at our rooftop lounge. We appreciate your business and hope you will consider our hotel on your next escape. We will be sending you feedback to our General Manager to address our service culture. We hope to welcome you back and please let us know when you plan your next escape, wdcsocial@whotels.com.

London
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here a few times now on business. First of all, I don't think this is a hotel for young children. It is however a great hotel for business, leisure and families with older children. It's location over-looking the White House is fantastic, and the bar on the top floor is great on a hot evening. There are a couple of good, but reasonably expensive, restaurants in the hotel. The gym is in the basement and is functional without being especially high tech.
The rooms vary but are all designed with a view to being a little more modern and maximising the space (sliding doors etc.). Some of the smaller rooms seem a bit cramped and all the rooms are all pretty dark even with the lights on but makes for decent sleeping at night. Some people may not like the showers which although part of the bathroom are separated from the bedroom by a frosted glass panel. Fine if you're by yourself, not so good if you're a bit self-conscious....
The hotel is very clean and the service is excellent. The bed are all very comfortable and pretty large (probably king-size at least). Highly recommend

Room Tip: Rooms with two doubles are very generous
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hello LondonNeat,

Thank you for your review and your recommendation. We are so happy you stayed with us on your recent trip to Washington DC. We do have the perfect location with a couple steps to The White House and a short walk to many of the major landmarks and businesses. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need.