“Amazing Overnight getaway!”

Ranked #54 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
DC
“Amazing Overnight getaway!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed at the W for a quick birthday getaway. I stayed in one of the larger suites and took advantage of the spa 2 days. The stay was incredible and the hotel catered to my needs and that of my puppy as i also had my dog with me and the hotel was exteremly accommodating. The hotel met my needs for nice getaway. I enjoyed the POV lounge with friends which was nice. However I must say that my suite was on the 4th floor and i could hear music from the rooftop lounge all the way from my room. It wasnt loud enough to keep me up all night but i was able to clearly hear the music and partying from room 403. The spa was amazing as always and was the major reason i stayed at this hotel because i have visited the spa in the past. I was given glasses of champange on several different occasions during my stay because it was my birthday which was a nice added touch. The staff is here amazing, courteous and friendly. This hotel has central location to the white house and washington monument. I would stay again but only in a suite as i heard the regular rooms are small. But the suites are quite pricey but has more than ample space. Room service was nice. J& G steakhouse was incredible. Overall a great stay and I would recommend to anyone. The only think missing at this hotel is a nice indoor pool.

Room Tip: Suites are larger than standard room accommodations with large soaking tubs and showers. Suggest als...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hello sweetbabiet,

Thank you for your review from your stay. We are so happy you had an incredible stay with us. We love animals so much we created our program called PAW for our furry friends to have a perfect escape also. Bliss Spa is a great place to escape from the everyday and indulge in one of their signature treatments. We hope to welcome you back and please send us an email when you plan your next escape, wdcsocial@whtoels.com.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Korean first
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Was in town for a business conference and was booked at the W. Stayed in this hotel a number of years ago. The rooms have since been renovated although the hall areas were familiar. On both nights,I could hear conversations emanating from adjoining rooms. Occupants in those rooms, although not quiet, were not overly boisterous. Upon my return after the first day at the conference, I discovered that the maid service had not visited my room (unmade bed, towels from the morning, etc. still in the same place). I discovered that this was also the case for another conferee who was staying on another floor. The hotel lobby does not include a shop from which to purchase toiletries, etc. When need arose, a jaunt outside in the rain to a chain pharmacy was required.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GDC51
Hello GDC51,

Thank you so much for your feedback from your stay. We would like to apologize for the problem you encountered with housekeeping and the noise from the adjoining room. Your experience and comfort is very important to us and we will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to address. We do offer our Whatever/Whenever service that would be happy to retrieve any items you need from the pharmacy to make your stay more comfortable with us. We would love to speak with you more about your stay and please keep us in mind when travel to Washington DC in the future, wdcsocial@whotels.com.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've stayed here multiple times and can vouch for the earlier reviewer's kudos on the doorman. Don't know his name, but I do recognize one that is shoulders above the rest of the staff.

I think the bldg is a conversion of an older hotel. I don't know how the rooms were originally, but note that current rooms are on the smallish side. I've gotten upgraded to ones with the window views to the Treasury, but still on the smallish side.

I prefer my rooms without the sink outside the bathroom so I'm normally relegated to a room behind the elevator banks which I'm totally fine with.

The bar downstairs (below the steakhouse) has decent cocktails. The rooftop bar is a scene if that's for you. Good nosh, but can get quite crowded.

Room Tip: They do have rooms without the sink outside the bathroom but they tend to be inside rooms. If you w...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello ezraulo,

Thank you so much for your review and your shout-out to our doorman. We take great pride in the service we provide our guests and will be sharing this review with our staff. Our building is a remodel of the District’s historic Hotel Washington which did limit our ability to change the structural interior and exterior. But that is what gives our hotel the French Renaissance original styling merged with modern cool. Please let us know when you plan your next escape and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Tampa
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We chose the W based on its location. I must admit we got a little scared after reading the reviews that we wouldn't be able to sleep because of the noise from POV, the rooftop bar. However I am so so glad to report that we didn't hear a thing. We stayed ok the 5th floor far away from the elevators. Our room was very small. That was the first thing my husband noticed. We had no view either. However, the room was clean and stylishly decorated. No coffee pots in the room, although this actually was a positive thing because it helped us hurry up and get our day going. The bathroom configuration was quite odd. The sink is basically in the bedroom area. And the door to the bathroom was a modern barn door but allowed for absolutely no privacy.

The staff was very courteous and helpful. Everyone you pass by greets you. They offer coffee in the am and hot cider in the afternoon in the lobby. A nice little touch.

The hotel's proximity to everything makes it worth the price and small rooms. We are runners, so we were able to quickly get to the Mall and run around and to all the monuments. We were able to walk to dinners at night in DuPont Circle and Chinatown. And Georgetown was a short cab ride away.

The gym was small but clean. Treadmills were in good working condition and each has their own tv screen. The weights and exercise balls and bands were more than sufficient.

All in all I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel. I found several negative reviews after we booked a non-refundable room rate. So we were expecting rude staff and a noisy "club" atmosphere. Neither of which we encountered. It was a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed February 2013
Hello TampaNewlywed,

Thank you so much for your review. We are so happy you stayed with us during your recent escape to Washington DC. We do have a great location with walking distance to DuPont Circle, Logan Circle, Chinatown, and other major attractions. We are so glad you took advantage of the amenities we offer our guests but don’t forget to try our Acura Service on your next stay. Please let us know when you plan your next escape with Whatever/Whenever you need, wdcsocial@whotels.com.

Los Angeles
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Don't expect a quiet room! You'll hear EVERYTHING from neighbors talking (and more) to deep bass from the roof club on weekend nights (regardless of your floor). Staff is very accommodating and did their best, but it's an old building without any sound proofing between rooms. If you're not there to party, find another hotel.

Room Tip: Depends. If you're there to sleep, I suggest a different hotel. Really.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello screennamegoeshere,

Thank you so much for your feedback from your stay. We would like to apologize about the noise in your room during your stay. Your experience with us is very important and we will be sending your feedback to our General Manager. We would love to speak with you more about your stay. Please send us your contact information and we will be sure to get back to you right away, wdcsocial@whotels.com.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I'm a platinum member with starwood, so I'm not sure if I received special treatment or not because of my status. But nonetheless, it was a great experience.

Things I'd like to note about the people:

There's a really popular rooftop bar at the W Washington DC, so the higher level floors can get a lot of noise during the weekend (noted from a previous stay 2 years ago). When I made the reservation, I asked them to put a note saying we wanted a quiet room. When we checked in, I liked how the lovely front desk lady, Miss Jenny Choi, reiterated that to me - cause to me, that means all ends did their job to meet my needs.

Upon arrival, we were in a bit of a rush to get to the Cannon House to pick up our passes for the White House tour the next day. I was feeling lazy and cheap, so I didn't want to take the metro nor a taxi (haha). Miss Choi was so kind to take us to the Acura desk to see if there was any availability. They guy there, Theo, was so kind to squeeze us in on such short notice. I thought both were very professional. It's one thing to just take us to the desk and leave, but Miss Choi stayed with us to make sure our problem was resolved. Mr. Theo was thorough in checking his schedule to squeeze us in to make sure everything worked out. He also walked us out to the car - again, one thing to just squeeze us in, but when they walk you out, it's the next level. The following-through really makes a difference.

Another aspect of Miss Choi that took my experience to the next level was the fact that she remembered my name and would always make sure we had everything we needed. They were a full house that weekend, so it really took me by surprise when someone would make an effort to remember us and ask us about things like the White House tour. Jenny was just so friendly it made the experience so much better. Thanks, Jenny!

The venue:

Like with all Ws, the decor is very hip and modern. The lobby/living room area was very clean and spacious. I must admit, we didn't spend much time there. I also remember the downstairs bathroom being quite clean as well. Lots of seating and even a bar downstairs.

We had breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel, J&G Steakhouse. Breakfast was good, but it was expensive for what it was (as expected). Would probably eat at a more popular restaurant in the DC area - there are tons.

The rooftop bar is called POV for Point of View. And on a clear night, the view of the Washington monument is beyond AMAZING. There's an outdoor area and an indoor dance area. Three bars (from what I can remember) on the roof. Because we went in February, the outdoor part was closed off, but I'm so glad there were those space heaters!

The room was good too. Not going to lie, the bed is actually really comfortable. I usually dislike hotel beds, but the W beds are always comfy. The room was clean. Can never go wrong with the Bliss products. I think we got an upgrade; the rooms are usually pretty small. One thing I liked about the room was that there was a DVD player even though we didn't use it. It was nice to know that it was there. LOTS of drinks and snacks, but becareful, they all cost money! They're like little money traps! The only thing that was complimentary was the Nestle bottled water. There's Fiji water that's $5, and boy was I tempted! Not sure if this is in all the Ws, but this one has these "peek-a-boo" showers where it's a fogged glass making up the walls of the shower. So everyone in the room can basically see what you're doing in the shower. It's not see-through, just fogged. The iPod dock was for the old Apple products - not sure who I should be mad at, Apple for changing their chargers or the W for not being up to date. (Kidding of course. Wasn't a big deal). Plenty of outlets which is so nice these days.

The location is AMAZING too! Right by the white House and a lot of the monuments are within walking distance! So convenient! Depending on how you see it, I thought it was a perk being next to the White House because lots of protests happen in front of it. And I find protests very interesting...or maybe just entertaining.

Overall, a very pleasant stay. :)

Room Tip: Lower floors are quiter for the weekends, but the suites are on the higher floors.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JMHuang
Hello JMHuang,

Thank you for such an amazing review. We do greatly appreciate your business and your loyalty to Starwood as a Platinum SPG Member. We will be sending your review to our General Manager to share your shout-outs with our Hotel Staff. We are so happy you loved our signature W Bed and the modern design W’s are known for. We do have an amazing location with walking distance to the District’s major attractions. Please let us know when you plan your next escape to Washington DC with Whatever/Whenever you need, wdcsocial@whotels.com.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Wow, Beautiful place!!!, and the front desk, doormen, etc added to the experience. Seemed everyone went out of there way to accommodate with a smile!!! President's Day weekend, traveling with college age kids so we had to get 2 rooms because of the King beds but the rooms were great and the 5th floor was a great location. Elevators were fast and I like the security measures with the keys in the elevators.
We were not in the room much, but having coffee and Great coffee a few steps away and complimentary was a wonderful bonus!

Room Tip: 5th Floor across from the elevator side has a great View!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank gdaverett
Hello gdaverett,

Thank you so much for your review. We are so happy you choice to stay with us on your recent trip to DC. We want you to be able to relax and feel at home when you are with us. Please let us know when you plan your next escape and we look forward to welcoming you back.