“The W”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #58 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The W took over a legend in the Washington DC area with acquiring the Hotel Washington. The Hotel is a bid odd. Staff is nice enough...but the bedroom with a king was quite small while the bathroom was gigantic (and still no tub and no seperate toilet). The room had off white carpet that was already dirty and contained one huge chair that took a lot of space and seemed out of place. The W took the most famous rooftop patio restaurant (view over the whitehouse) and turned it into a nightclub. Really?
I didn't pay for the room--it was a corporate meeting--but if it was a lot of money I would have been upset.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mbrinkley3
WHotelDC, Director of Rooms at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Welcome mbrinkley3,
Thank you for your feedback! You are indeed correct that W Washington DC is formerly the Hotel Washington. I appreciate your kind remark about our talent, as well as your knowledge of Hotel Washington. Upon renovation there were certain facets of the building that had to be retained and could not be expanded, such as room size. We strive to provide a Whatever Whenever service, amenities, and a comfortable and cozy environment. However, I apologize that the carpet was dirty and would be interested in what room you were in, so that we can promptly remedy it. I hope that it did not taint your rooming experience, but I can understand how it would have. If you wish to discuss in more detail, please contact GMEdBaten@whotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the W. The location can't be beat. The view from our room (1003) was fantastic. The roof top bar had amazing views as well. Our room was spotless, and we loved the modern decor. It was a little on the small side, but absolutely fine for two people. The best part of staying at this hotel has to be the customer service - staff is extremely accommodating. Any reasonable request will be granted - they can't do enough for their guests. We thoroughly enjoyed staying there, and will be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My complaints as will be stated below need to be taken in perspective that in the big picture this is a very nice hotel and the location could not be better. The service was top notch.

With that being said, the hotel tries way, way, way too hard to be trendy. Currently, I am 41 years old, married with two small children and have no party in me. I am hardly a stick-in-the-mud, but I'm almost always in bed by 10 pm.

This hotel tries so hard to be trendy that it is almost uncomfortable. The rooms are some of the smallest I have ever been in. The bed was a single queen and I'm used to a king. I guess I was too cheap to upgrade to a king. Not used to having to do that. The mattress and bedding were truly heavenly.

The glass enclosed shower leaked out the bottom and made the tiny "bathroom area" very, very slick. I imagine that there must be some horrific falls in that hotel.

On the top of the hotel is an over the top trendy bar and night club that pretends to be super exclusive. Frankly, a lot of the women going in and out of there looked like working girls if you know what I mean. The seating was poor and the menu was sparse (also I'm a vegan and can usually make any menu work, but there was nothing I could do with this one).

We used a female concierge who was fabulous. The wifi in the room was $15 a day per device. Somehow, even though we were on the 9th floor (out of 10) with a window, my att LTE 4g got no service. . . . . . the free wifi in the lobby was great.

Again, in the big picture this stuff is pretty nitpicky. It is a very nice hotel, great location and we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Pay to upgrade to a King.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JasonfromTacoma
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Excellent!!! I am writing this from my room (701) and I have to say, my stay has been wonderful. The room is a suite (thank you W hotels for the upgrade!) and it is fantastic. I am not sure if the hotel has recently been renovated, but it certainly seems like it. There is a nice marriage of an older building (high ceilings and molding) and a modern aesthetic - and the result is warm and comfortable. I love the bathroom and the shower and the entire experience is a welcome relief as I am visiting from an area that was impacted by a hurricane and I had been out of power and hot water for a week. With that in mind - the universe must have been looking out for me (or maybe W hotels was) because the upgrade was such a gift. I am traveling with a work companion and she is in room 601 - which is a similar suite with the same view.

The location can absolutely not be beat. The view from this room is amazing, I woke up and went to sleep with a full view of the washington monument (picture attached). The treasury building is directly across the street and just on the other side of that - the White house. I have walked down there several times, because it is just so darn close!

We held a meeting in a meeting room (Suite 1) and it was great. The room is a little small, but it does not feel like it, because the ceilings are so high and there are windows, so it worked out very well. The team that supported us during the meeting (AV, catering) were all very solicitous and always there when we needed them. The catered lunch and break were fine, not fantastic, but not bad. Nicole Charles, the sales manager, stopped by and was very welcoming and her personal touch was very appreciated.

In fact, I have to say, the staff in general has been great. Even when I am just walking by the front deck the team will say "Hi" or "Welcome back" - it is just a nice touch and I love feeling so welcomed.

Did not try the Bliss spa (all booked) nor the rooftop bar - which I believe is one of the badges of honor of the hotel, must have a great view.

Thank you again team W! Now wish me luck - fingers crossed my power has been restored when I get home...

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side of the building that faces the Washington monument.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank keepthelighton4me
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We arrived at The W around 10am from Miami. I was surprised and happy that the taxi fare was only $13 from Reagan Airport.

The staff on arrival were super friendly, despite me looking like I just woke up. I was handed a map, which was great!

We were given a room straight away on the 10th floor and advised that it can get noisy as the club is directly upstairs or we could have a different room but it would not be ready for a few hours. We chose to take the room on the 10th floor as we wanted to dump our bags and freshen up before heading out for the day.

The room was large, really modern. We had a king bed and the pillows were divine. Large bathroom with Bliss NY products.

When we came home late at night we did notice the noise from the nightclub (midweek!) but we are deep sleepers. If you are are light sleeper, I wouldn't recommend a room on this floor!

Overall I would recommend this hotel for a quick trip to DC. Great location - White House is just around the corner!

Room Tip: Avoid the 10th floor if you don't like noise!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I would highly recommend this hotel. Was a little scared by some of the comments about the staff but we found everybody to be extremely pleasant and helpful during our stay. The rooms are a bit small but very stylish and the rain head shower is great. The roof top bar does have excellent views. Never went up there at night when it is more of a night club. The downstairs bar is excellent as well. Can't beat the location. Easy walk to the metro or the sites.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank drrob2
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I will start out by saying the staff is very nice and helpful and I found customer service to be top notch. Unfortunately, the hotel itself is very tacky and the guestrooms are rather rundown. I stayed in one of "higher-end" rooms on the private floor. The views of the Capitol, White House, and Treasury Building were excellent. The room, however, was very small and the mattress in the bed contained loose feathers. A shaggy carpet reminiscent of an hourly motel room shown on movies and "Cops" covers the floor by the bed. Furniture is chipped and made of plastic. Perhaps the only highlight of the room aside from the excellent views of the District was the bathroom which had a very European flair.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
WHotelDC, Director of Rooms at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Welcome Carl W,

Thank you for sharing both the positive and negative experiences from your August trip to W Washington DC! Our talent will appreciate your kind remark about top notch customer service. This is a true testament to everyone’s hard work. It truly saddens me to read that the quality of the room hindered your stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for this. Similar to the design of the bathroom, we offer an upbeat, modern décor. If you have additional concerns or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at GMEdBaten@whotels.com. We would be more than happy to hear from you, and hope that we have a chance to welcome you back from New York.

All the best,