W Washington D.C.
Omni Shoreham Hotel(Washington DC)
$188
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Capitol Hill Hotel(Washington DC)
$328
$287
  • Breakfast included
$293
$280
$238
$225
  • Pool
The Dupont Circle(Washington DC)
$479
$220
$194
$351
$314
  • Restaurant
Fairmont Washington, D.C. Georgetown(Washington DC)
$428
$335
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Washington Court Hotel(Washington DC)
$389
$171
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
$502
Hotelpower.com
2,438 results
All reviewsrooftop bartreasury buildingbliss spawhite housepov barbliss productsfrosted glassamazing locationrooms are smallliving roomnational mallsmithsonian museumsfew blocksmarlonlobbyspghip
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I like the W Hotel in Washington, DC--great location, nice rooms. However, the hotel has missed the mark during my last three stays at the W DC. What the problem? 1.) The staff is indifferent, unfriendly, and atypically W staff. I stayed at five other W properties in the last year, and the W DC must have not used the same training manuel as other W properties. 2.) During three stays I was wrongly charged for room service or extras. 3.) I am a platinum member, and there was no acknowledgement that I should receive an upgraded room or ammenity. In fact, all three times, it was a chore to get upgraded one room level. 4.) The continental breakfast is the worst I've had in over 150 hotel night stays during the last three years. The W DC throws some pastries in a wooden serving bowl, some cereal and some yogurt on a corner table and tells you to have at it. I have never seen a place that presented breakfast so poorly.

Basically, a nice hotel, but could be so much better with a little attention to detail.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank BatureGermany
WHotelDC, Director of Rooms at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Welcome BatureGermany!

Thank you for sharing your views! Please accept my upmost apologies that W D.C. did not meet expectations. The attitude of our talent that you disclosed is not what is expected, and is certainly not an accurate reflection of the Whatever Whenever service culture that is trained. Additionally, thank you for letting us know about the breakfast presentation. Feedback like this allows us to reevaluate and elevate our standards. It appears that you faced discrepancies in your billing. Please contact the hotel at GMEdBaten@whotels.com with your information so that we may look into. As a loyal and Platinum member, this is not the lasting impression of W that we want you have. I welcome the chance to re-instill your faith in our services and in that “W” touch by personally hearing from you.

All the best,

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Our stay at the W was just 2 nights. The service from all the crew there was excellent. The location is really good for doing the tourist things in DC as well as being close to DuPont Circle for bars and restaurants too... The rooftop bar at the hotel was also very cool. Nice attentive staff..

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We spent 1 night in this hotel in october 2012.

We had a chauffeur driven car to get us from the airport to the hotel and the first disappointing thing is that the address they of the hotel gets you to a door, with no staff to help you and stairs to enter the hotel, while there is another door, on the other side with no stairs and loads of staff.

Inside, the design is really nice and I really loved it. The person at the reception was really nice and friendly. She took the time to answer a couple of questions and gave us some tips. However, it seemed automated and suggested for us to go to the rooftop terrace that evening, which was actually closed.

The room had a beautiful design but there are imperfections that are annoying, such as the bathroom door that doesn't close entirely and makes you feel you have no privacy in there. There are also loads of things to buy in your room, but prices are a rip-off. We can afford it, but when prices are so high, I just don't wanna buy anything by principle (and I come from the second most expensive place in the world; Geneva, Switzerland).

We wanted to go to the rooftop terrace (which was closed) and went next door, to the lounge. The place looks really cheap. It's like a club in an old factory, kind of rave atmosphere. It has nothing to do with the rest of the hotel.

Were ordered 2 drinks and were asked for ID. My partner had his passport and I had my Swiss driving license (I'm 31). The barman refused my driving license saying that it's only American driving license or Passport. He said that it was CIA informed. I went to get it in the room. When I got back, I found out that he wasn't asking for ID to every customer, which shows that it's not CIA enforced. By the way, he wasn't friendly at all. He didn't get a tip for that reason. Then we wanted to sit down but all the tables were reserved. As the place was pretty empty, we sat down anyway. No one arrived for those reserved tables while we were there. The only good thing about this place is the view.

All in all, the hotel is ok but not worth the price, you pay for the design more than the quality of what's in it. It is however well located. The place was clean and the bed comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Welcome Philie4u!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I am delighted that you and your partner chose W as your destination from Switzerland. I am sorry that the driver delivered you to our alternate entrance, and not the main entrance. Our attendants and ambassadors would have happily assisted with luggage. I understand how this created a negative impression right off the bat.

Thank you for your compliment of the agent who offered suggestions. While the terrace may have been closed off, I am glad that you were still able to check out our bird’s eye view of D.C. Please accept my apologies if the ID policy hindered your experience. Government issued-US IDs and passports is the method of identification at the bar, and I can assure you the talent member was trying their best to follow rules. I sympathize with the frustration on this point.
There are areas in which W reflects a modern, almost European influenced décor and feel, including with the frosted glass bathroom door. Additionally we can remove munchie bar items prior to arrival. If you have additional concerns or questions, please contact us at GMEdBaten@whotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed here for one night before my international flight. W's are hit/miss in my experience. I am Starwood Gold and was upgraded one category and my amenity was internet. The internet worked well in the room and public spaces.

The property is in a great location (a block from white house and walking everywhere else). I was greeted by bell/door staff and escorted to check in desk. My check-in was fairly quick and friendly. My room faced the street and was quite quiet - i didn't hear any outside noise. I really liked the feel and decor of the room - the sink is outside of the bathroom and while i am not a fan generally, this worked well. I did need to have housekeeping change the sheets as there was a hole in the sheets - the front desk arranged this while i went to eat at the rooftop restaurant (or thought i would eat in the roof top restaurant).

It was 3pm and i wanted a late lunch having just arrived in town - i went upstairs to the restaurant and it was quite empty and figured no problem to eat. I was behind a family (tourists not staying in the hotel) of five and the hostess said "everything is reserved" but if you can be out in an hour i can seat you there. They said yes and were seated. I was next and said "party of one" and was told there was no room as everything was reserved - I queried why seat them and not me? she said people had reservations for dinner which was much later and i could try to find something in the bar area. I asked again, how at this time of day with more than ten tables empty she could not allow me to eat lunch as a guest in the hotel - she was stone faced as if this was a velvet roped restaurant - i just wanted a club sandwich and would be out in less than an hour. she didn't budge so i went to the bar to check it out - it was full - no space for one - i was starving! I could understand if the restaurant was reserved for a wedding party or other event but would expect to be told so at check in or see a sign about a private party - this was just the hostess pretending she was important rather than looking at the good will of paying customers that she has now given them reason to stay elsewhere.

I was quite angry by this - i was a hotel guest denied lunch and walk-ins were given a table - how does that make sense? you are basically saying go outside the hotel and give someone else your money (had i known how close the Corner Bakery was i would have gone there) another couple ahead of the family had also been denied a table so i went to the front desk and requested a manager to see if this is standard policy -the manager had just arrived and apologized and said no it wasn't their policy to deny seating as the restaurant was open for business and he would look into it (he never came back to follow up with me)- he said i could eat in the lobby bar - i wasn't thrilled wtih this but he introduced me to the bartender and she was lovely to chat with (she looks like emma stone!) and i ordered the famous club sandwich, glass of wine and chatted with her for a bit. Then the rains came and the empty bar area swelled to over 100 people in less than 10 mins - the bartender did her best and then reinforcements (three staff) came to help out - this is how a hotel should run - accomodate guests and move staff where most needed. when i went to pay, I was told my meal was comped by the manager.

I tried to use the Acura local car service to take me to my friends apartment which wasn't that far but i hadn't booked in advance - it was a service i was unfamiliar with but the in-room ad was helpful that i will try to use it another time - the bell staff was very apologetic that they couldn't help me -with the rains, it got booked quickly. another time.

Upon return after dinner, there is a velvet rope for the nightlife aspect of the hotel with a separate elevator. I showed my room key and was let in quickly to the hotel guest elevators.

So like any other W - be prepared for a hit/miss stay - some highpoints and some low points - if you know what to expect you can't be disappointed. Going forward, i would use cash/points option to stay here, won't pay full cash again or have my employees stay here as there are many other properties that cost less with a better overall experience in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Overall a very nice stay. My husband and I got a weekend without the kids and thought the location was convenient to the attractions around DC including the Smithsonian and the White House.

The bellman was super friendly (Hey Bob!) and the concierge helped get us tickets to a show with Bill O'reilly and Jon Stewart. That was a plus.

But the rest of the staff had a few misses. When we checked in, they ended up checking us out accidentally and the cleaning lady kept banging our door down. The manager asked if there was anything he could do, but that was a weird question since I am not sure what I would ask for. Might have been nice if he just did something and didn't ask me what would fix the situation. So that was awkward.

They also didn't clean our room one day and we had to wait for about an hour for them to come and clean it. The room decor is as you expect from W, modern, quirky, fun. But there is a lot of white shiny materials and they look kind of dated when they get chipped.

As Starwood Platinum we got an upgrade, but just to another view because the hotel was full. We chose breakfast as the amenity for our stay. The breakfast took forever and was very expensive (our card covered only continental breakfast, so all additional items over $15 were extra and a simple breakfast in total was almost $60 - coffee, omelet, potatoes, juice for each). The hostess was rude and the food wasn't excellent.

There was also a bag of trash in the hallway next to the elevator with food someone had left. It was there for a day and a half until I stopped the cleaner in the hall and asked her to take the stinky food garbage away. She looked surprised like it was just left there.

The rooftop bar was great, love the strawberry lemonade drink. Expensive, but delicious -- worth a try!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple