“Amazing”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #58 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed here only one night for a wedding but I wished we were able to stay a few more days! This hotel lives up to the Starwood standards. We arrived around 2pm and our room was ready for us. The hotel room was very modern and clean but we didn't spend much time in there. After dropping off our luggage we decided to take a tour of the hotel. POV was first on the list but since it was still early we grabbed a drink in The Living Room Bar instead. Normally when I am traveling I want to venture out and explore the city but this hotel makes you want to stay in! Everything about this hotel is pristine and sleek. The reception venue (I forgot which room) was stunning! My fiance and I are planning our wedding for April of 2013 and could only wish that there was a venue as spectacular as this one in our area. After the wedding reception we finally made it up to POV and it was a great end to our night. The view was amazing and service was at its best. I am definitely returning to the W but next time it will be for more than just one night.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,354)

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Great location but misses the mark for a Starwood property. We were offered paper deliver for our 5 days here. Did we ever receive a paper in the morning, NO. One morning the concierge went and retrieved a ppaper for us, after we called, the we gave up. J&G steakhouse/ restaurant in the hotel is a must miss. Terrible service, wait for dinner, food doesn't match up to the chefs typical high quality food. The positives are the location, Starwood points, and the rooftop lounge. Otherwise I suggest another hotel.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Travelled from New York following a disappointing stay at the New Yorker it was lovely to arrive at Washington to a friendly greeting, smiling faces and a stunning room which was ready for us even though we arrived way before checking in time. Facillities were amazing. Munch box and mini bar stocked with all sorts of luxurious treats. The most comfortable bed, divine shower and toiletries. Bottled water provided. Had requested a quiet room and it was peaceful with quiet efficient air conditioning. Slept really well. Service was above and beyond. Rooftop bar heavenly.Public areas glamourous and beautifully designed. The concierge,Kim, was so friendly and helpful, assisting us with postal services and online check in for our homeward flights. Helped make a wonderful holiday even more wonderful. Does the 'W' stand for wonderful? It should!

1  Thank Carol C
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I read the reviews and was a little apprehensive. I used Starwood points to stay over Columbus Day weekend 2012 for 3 nights and traveled with my husband and 9 year old son. We took the Metro from DCA and the W is a short walk from the Metro on F street. We arrived a bit early 845am, but Mariana and Bob were able to get us into a room right away. Seeing that there were three of us, they got us into an interior room with 2 queens, which was fine for us. They asked us if it we've stayed at a W before (answer was No) and they explained all the amenities. I didn't think they looked down on us. Bob told us about the Taste of DC and told us to avail of the concierge services and the Acura Experience. Bob also explained the mechanics of how to use the access card to operate the elevators.

The room was very nice and perfect! We didn't mind that our view was of brick. Actually we felt like it was a sanctuary for us especially with all the 'overstimulation' of the surrounding DC area. It was very quiet and with the combination of the Wonderful beds, we had a very restful sleep! The hotel is only 3 years old and it shows, but the faucet in our bathroom was loose, but still working. Our room was next to the ice maker, but hardly anyone used and it didn't bother us. I did hear music coming from POV on the Friday night, but I was not awakened by it; i was already awake from going to the bathroom and fell back asleep right away. My husband and son (who are light sleepers) did not even hear it at all, but we were really exhausted from walking about 6 miles on our first day :-)

The lobby is gorgeous and very modern, but no photos are allowed. The W is in a perfect location; walking distance to the Washington Monument, the White House, across from the Treasury and the National Mall. It's right next to the Willard Intercontinental.

We went to POV roof terrace and enjoyed a snack with our son before the 5pm cut-off for minors. There was a cosmopolitan vibe with many yuppies enjoying their TGIF drinks..Great photo ops from POV. Servers were pleasant and food was good, drinks on the pricey side, however.

Room Tip: Highest floor I would go would be the 8th floor, I can imagine how loud it is on weekend nights when...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I had read the reviews and went in with an open mind. We were impressed. Never stayed at a W. yes rooms were small, even with a Gold upgrade. But the were trendy, clean, had many nice touches like night lights and the beds/pillows were spectacularly comfortable. Heat/cool worked like a charm so we were always comfy. Room was read when we arrived and rooms were cleaned early in the day. You can not beat the location. It is literally right across the street from the White House tour entrance. Coffee in the lobby was always ready a couple minutes before scheduled. Breakfast was expensive, but excellent. Roof top bar was too crowded and noisy for our taste, so we just took a quick peek. The Bliss Spa is spectacular and worth scheduling.

Room Tip: Stay away from elevators
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Have stayed at several other W hotels in the past. This hotel did not meet expectations. Checked in midweek for a four night stay. Asked for a room move after noting that our room was adjacent to ice machine and elevator. We were told that the new room was the exact same size and layout. The new room was significantly smaller with dirty carpet and a phone that didn't work. We requested a repair of the phone daily but it was never addressed. The room also wasn't fully set up. As an example there was no dry cleaning bag and order form. We sent clothes in for dry cleaning. They were returned the next day, an hour late, consequently we were late for our event. We ordered room service. One entree was incomplete and horribly overcooked. They replaced part of the entree but not the rest of the meal so the remaining meal got cold while waiting the twenty minutes for delivery of the replacement. The newly prepared portion of the entree was no better than the original so the meal was not eaten. This W does not come close to meeting the standards this Starwood member expects.

1  Thank 24Equality
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I travel to DC a lot and always stayed at the W Hotel. I stayed there between 40 and 50 nights a year for the last two years and as a starwood platinum guest, I expect some kind of recognition. Staff has always been extremely friendly and this is why I have been coming back. But their rooms are tiny (and falling apart given the cheap furniture) and in all these stays I hardly ever got an upgrade. Rooms on the top floors are extremely noisy given the roof deck bar and many times I had to change rooms in the middle of the night.

After a recent stayed, I received a nice email offering me to be "wow-ed" on my next stay, but when that stay came, nothing happened. I got tired of this lack of recognition so wrote to the GM who did not find it worth it to reply.

So I am changing hotels.