“Full disappointment” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #53 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Marbella, Spain
“Full disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was expecting a bit more from this hotel. It's true the location is great but that's it. The room itself might seem very cool but really impractical in many senses, specially the sliding bathroom door. The check-in process was a complete mess, though it is true I received a complimentary breakfast as an apology. However It is also true that was one of the worst breakfasts I had in a hotel of this category.

The terrace of this hotel seems to be one of the hot spots in Washington nightlife, so be prepared to share the elevator with drunk people and expect people running and yelling at 5am. Sweet dreams.

In summary: this hotel is not worth its rates

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tuer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

GREAT property in the heart of DC. While the room was small, the W has done an incredible job of making it both luxurious and cool. Really enjoyed this aspect of the hotel.

Also, the vibe in the hotel is extremely cool and energetic and most staff very accomadating. Finally, the Roof Top bar has incredible views of the Washington monument and the White House.

On the "needs improvement" side of things, while I understand that the W strives for the hip factor, the attituude of some of the rof top personnel, especially the host and a tall bartender with dark hair, was completely unacceptable. Both were standoff-ish and rude to me and my guest.

All in all, a wonderful property but if I was King for a Day, there would be some personnel changes made at the Roof Top lounge.

1 Thank HDHart
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have stayed in several W Hotels and the service at this one terrible. When we checked in at 2:10 our room was not ready, but they said that they would call when it was ready. They never called. When I called them at 6 PM they said that the room was ready and they were sorry that no one called. They promised to do something to make up for it, but never did. When we finally checked in they brought our bags around and said that they would follow us to the room. After waiting 15 minutes we called and they realized that they had forgetten to bring our bags up. The room was very small and the windows were frosted, so that you could not see out. The bathroom was so dark that it was difficult for my wife and I to get ready. Rooftop bar has a great view, but the drinks are overpriced and the bartenders were not friendly. I would never stay here again. It also makes me question whether I would stay at any W. I should have believed the other bad reviews.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Jeff367
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for one night over a weekend. The service was brilliant- nothing was too hard and they went out of their way for us. We used the Acura service which is a great option to shuttle around Washington. The concierge were very helpful and the location is just perfect. Go and check out the bar on the top level for great views. We ate in the steakhouse for lunch- just ok food but nothing special. We did however witness Michelle Obama walking into the hotel from lunch so that improved things. Hotel is very clean and large rooms providing all the amenities you need.

We used rewards points for our stay but we would stay here again

• Stayed September 2012
Norfolk Virginia USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

We spent 4 days there on a mini holiday that was combined with a conference I had to attend. I don't usually spend that much for a hotel but it was a special occasion so I decided to splurge. The rooms are not very large and the amenities are not that numerous (at least the free ones) but the place is clean and convenient. It annoyed me that after spending so much for a room that we had to pay extra for internet service and be warned the parking is $50 per night but that is likely the going rate for DC. The breakfast was very pricey and not that great so we discovered a nice place just one block away on the corner that offered a great selection and great value. Overall the W was adequate and convenient but that's about it.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a window so be sure to ask for one if that is important.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

I give it an average grade when putting in the mix with all hotels. For high end properties, I would drop one mark and list it as poor. Yes, it's very slick looking and tres chic on the surface. Bed is very comfortable, linens are great and I liked the shower, front desk staff helpful. Hotel lacks the little things that make it above average for a business traveler. Shouldn't have to crawl on my knees to find a plug for my laptop or cell phone charger (or an iron). Would a cup of good coffee in the room be too much to ask for? There is a card that says a coffee maker is available, just call down or come fetch a cup of complimentary coffee in the the lobby. Please don't make me do that. And if you're a tea or decaf drinker -- now you have to beg for a cup of that from someone in the lobby as it's not part of the set up (and they returned to tell my husband decaf was unavailable). Seems like in their quest for a spare, uncluttered look, they forego some of those extras. Rooms are geared the same way. Their cutesy stuff takes up too much of the premium real estate on desk tops. Give me enough room to put out my laptop and work without having to pile up other stuff and rearrange. At their rates, I expect a little more. Bottom line -- the W sacrifices services to guests so they can have a hotel that projects their branded look.

Room Tip: high floor to get above street noise.
Teaneck, N.J.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

Tea is symptomatic of my problems with this hotel, which is elegant, but not at all to my taste. More on the tea later.

I was at the hotel for three week nights, on a government rate. This was my fifth overnight trip for the government, and the first where breakfast was not provided. In effect, breakfast was not available, since room service breakfast was obscenely expensive, and the dining room didn't open until 7 am, and offered no buffet. That's far too late to be of use for someone who had to be at his Washington office by 8 am. Luckily, there was a deli 2 blocks away that opened at 6:30, and had a by-the-pound buffet. I had delicious food for $6, or about 10% of what it would have cost in the hotel. The receptionist at check-in told me that the average breakfast was $40 to $50 per person, or more than I spent on dinners.

The room was quirky. I was assigned a 3rd floor room, but asked for and was given a 9th floor room that was not under the roof top bar. The bed was, indeed, fabulous; but that sleep benefit was partially offset by the paper thin walls which let in lots of noise. The light switches were odd, particularly the "Washington lamp", and I had to call the front desk to figure out how to work them. My biggest problem was the bathroom, which was sleek and modern, and not at all to my taste. The weather was very hot, and I missed having a tub or swimming pool in which I could immerse my sweaty body. One couple found the see through bathroom wall sexy. I found it annoying. The shower itself was lovely, but I need a bath tub in order to enjoy a hotel stay.

I felt that the staff was helpful, but they couldn't make up for the feeling that there was a hand in my pocket at all times. The rooms had mini bars. A friend of mine who is kosher asked to have the contents of the mini bar taken out, so she could put some kosher food in the refrigerator. She was told that there would be a $50 charge to do so. Most hotels waive the internet charge for government workers, or have no charge. Here it was about $12 a day. Someone who ordered fruit and yogurt from room service (for her, as well as me, 7 am was too late for breakfast) was charged $19. The guest internet on the mezzanine was $6.95 for 15 minutes, the first time I've ever seen such a charge in a US hotel (although it's common in Europe). As for laundry, the prices were a sick joke. I mentioned to my wife that " it will probably cost $7 to $10 dollars to wash my sweaty shirt", then found that the charge would have been $14. Who pays such prices? This luxury hotel is, in many ways, the opposite of my favorite luxury cruise line, Regent, where everything is included - tips, drinks, specialty restaurants, and even excursions.

The roof top bar has a wonderful view; but it was about 90 degrees out, and the bar was outdoors. They can convert it into a glassed in bar, but chose not to do so. It was so hot that I retreated back into the air conditioning. Based on what I've read about drink prices, that was probably a good idea.

Now for the tea. I carry my own tea bags, and I wasn't about to pay more than $10, including service charges, for a cup of hot water in my room. The hotel lobby has coffee starting at 6 am, but no decaf, and no hot water or tea bags. On my first morning, I asked for hot water for tea. That took more than 5 minutes, since the kitchen apparently wasn't ready for such a request. By the time I got the hot water, brewed the tea, and drank it, 15 minutes had elapsed, and it was still too early for the restaurant. I went caffeine free for the rest of my trip, which was not good for someone in meetings all day. Yawn!

A luxury hotel should do much better than this. Next time I'll stay at the JW Marriott or the Embassy Suites.