“Solid W”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #59 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed May 31, 2011

This is a nice W in a good location and the rooftop bar offers amazing views.

My room was fairly small (which is not too surprising for a W, as an SPG Platinum member I was upgraded to a Spectacular Room). They gym was terrific, if a little small.

However, what really stood out to me was the level of service at this property. My companion and I chose to dine at the at the P.O.V. Roof Terrace and had a rather unfortunate incident. A hostess asked us twice to give up our table because they apparently had overbooked OpenTable reservations. The second time we refused and brought the matter to our server's attention. She went above and beyond in making things right.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
wdcinsider, Front Office Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2011

Hi CarstenW2,
Thanks for your review. I am glad to read you enjoyed your upgrade. We always try to take very good care of our Starwood Preferred Platinum guests and I will make sure to recognize the POV team for recovering the seating challenge you experienced. Hopefully your travels will bring you back to us soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,341)

Reviewed May 27, 2011

I attend a confrence every year in DC and I alWays make it a point to stay at the W. From check in to check out I Was provided the service that so many hotels simply ignore.
The location is excellent and across the street from the white house and amazing places to eat and drink...........I'm looking at you old ebitt grill. The rooms provide a very relaxing feel and the heavenly beds never make me miss my own bed. The rooftop lounge provide amazing viewso f DC with light fare and hand made cocktails. This is the place to stay in DC.

Room Tip: Old Ebitt Grill is across the street
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank AFSinLA
wdcinsider, Front Office Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2011

Hi AFSinLA,
Thanks for your honest review. I am glad we have made you a loyal W guest, we really appreciate you coming back each year. Just curious if you were able to try our amazing Bliss Spa yet? Hopefully we can welcome you for a fun visit this summer as well!
Safe Travels

Reviewed May 16, 2011

First off if you are staying on a weekend they play music on the roof till 3am that you can hear as a dull thump in your room. Good news is they give you five pillows so you can muffle the thump a little. Walking through the lobby reminds me of trying to get into the emergency room on a Friday night. The feeling of comfort and welcome in a classy four or five star hotel is completely foreign at this point. It actually reminded me a little of getting my car towed in manhattan and waiting online to get it back while drug dealers waved gold encrusted wads of cash at the cops doing paperwork.

Sorry I digress were in the lobby/emergency room/ tow yard. We had a party of four getting into the elevator, which is tough because there is a skirmish line you must cross, and show your room key. This might remind you of a scene from a prison movie where you must present ID to leave the prison. Only diference is that this is our hotel and we are trying to get into the elevators and go to our rooms. When we got in two guys broke from the security line and pushed in with us. Now we were packed in about eight of us and these two drunk frat kids. They did not realize the roof button was shut off and they kept pressing the button and started yelling because it would shut off again. Well sadly for them the stair doors on our floors do not reach the roof, hopefully hotel security would find them before they managed to hassle anymore guests.

The valet outside has mostly Arabic speakers with heavy accents. When I asked the price of valet he said $15. The garage across the street says $16. So it seemed a no brainer. Only when we came back they said it was $50. Well what can you do? Pay the $50 with no argument, but that hotel just bought a life long malcontent.

The rooms are nice enough flat screens white modern formica furniture, bathrooms could be cleaner. The mini bar is well stocked and the beds are very comfortable

The roof view is amazing, the crowd up there at night is decided by whichever security guy is at the rope, so it's not very selective. It's a mix of mostly young not so attractive locals. The servers are extremely slow, during the day. But again the view of the white house is amazing. I was at the hotel with a large group of couples, some of them decided to go up to the roof Saturday night. They had a 11:30 reservation after battling the crowd and waiting for half an hour after ordering drinks they gave up. I hate to seem like a know it all but I could tell from my daytime encounter up there that service in that roof bar is a joke. I was glad my earlier experience forewarned me so I did not waste my Saturday night.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Latethirties
wdcinsider, Front Office Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2011

Dear Latethirties,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience at the W Washington DC. I am glad you appreciated our rooms and the stylish decor. I am sorry to hear that the traffic in the living room impacted your experience in such a way. I have shared your feedback with our team as we always look at ways to evolve in managing the busy nights.
On brighter note, I am very happy to hear that you did take the time to enjoy the amazing views POV offers to our guests and patrons.
Safe travels

Reviewed May 14, 2011

Travelled from the UK and spent a week at the hotel....hoped to see the blossom, but unfortunately we were too late! Were upgraded to a larger room on the 9th floor. Rather disappointed to have no view, but in retrospect we were not disturbed by noise at night .... it was the quietest hotel we had ever stayed in! As other reviews have stated, the bathrooms, although modern and attractive, do not take account of one's modesty and the sliding door in particular was a cause for concern as it did not close the gap! I used the towel rail/towels to ensure I couldn't be seen on the lavatory. I was a little shocked at the prices of the 'goodies' and drinks in the room (we didn't buy any) but that maybe something to do with the exchange rate! Hanging space was minimal and we had to put most of our clothes in the drawers.
We thoroughly enjoyed the steak bar for evening meals and breakfast, although again we found it rather expensive. The roof top bar was amazing and we got some great shots of the city at night. You do have to book in advance however, if you want a seat. Wine was very costly. 37 dollars for the cheapest bottle of red which we got at the store round the corner for 6 dollars!
The highlight for us was Jon the concierge. He made us feel like we were the only guests in the hotel! He gave us lots of great recommendations, in particular the free organ recital in the beautiful cathedral... amazing and definitely worth a visit. He made sure we got the best seats on the roof for a view of the sunset over the Whitehouse. The hotel should be very proud of Jon.... he is a real asset and would definitely encourage us to return to the hotel.
I would agree that the hotel must have one of the best locations in the city. We were able to walk quite safely round the city, both day and night... we even walked to Georgetown... and it is within easy reach of all the museums and Capitol Hill. It is also close to the Metro, which we loved as it is so easy to use and inexpensive.
All in all we returned to the UK much fitter and buzzing from a great experience. We shall no doubt be back!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tucker4
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I can't think of a better place to stay in DC. The location is unbeatable, right across the street from the Dept of Treasury and The White House, which you can see from the lounge on the roof (POV - btw, great classic cocktails). All of the staff went above and beyond to make sure that we enjoyed our 1 night stay in DC.

Valet: Steep at $50 per night, but it wasn't a problem to leave my car in front for 15 minutes while I checked in and then parked in a lot down the street. They helped us with our bags and were extremely nice.

Front Desk: Amy was very friendly and helpful right off the bat. Without asking, she made sure that we were in an upgraded room and offered us complimentary wifi or 200 Starwood Points. She also called up to the room after we checked in to make sure that everything was ok and reminded us that the bottled water was complimentary. We were very impressed.

Rooms: We were upgraded to a room on the 10th floor with views of the White House. We could see the snipers on the roof. It seemed a little smaller than a standard hotel room, but it was laid out really well and felt bigger than it was. It had all of the features that you expect from a W: modern decor, comfortable bed, cool lighting, shower with frosted glass that looked into the room, bliss products - a favorite of the wife, flat screen tv, ipod dock w/ Sonoro stereo, etc.

Location: The BEST! After checking in, we had a couple hours to kill before dinner. We walked right across the street to the White House and spent the next hour and a half strolling through the mall. No taxis, no metro, everything was right there.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BPK_Travel
wdcinsider, Front Office Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2011

Hi BPK_Travel,
Thanks for your great review. We always like to hear from frequent travelers like you. We are glad you enjoyed your time with us. Our location is ideal to explore the city and its many attractions and it looks like you made full use of that. Thanks for recognizing our welcome desk agent Amy for the great work she does.

Reviewed May 7, 2011

We stayed here after a wedding as a rare treat. The club music upstairs kept us up most of the night. When we complained they allowed us to switch rooms, and the hotel staff says this happens every weekend. For the prices they charge - worst experience. Have had much better luck at budget hotels. Will NOT be back.
And the see through showers - seriously?

• Stayed: May 2011
5  Thank Professormama

Dear Professormama,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I apologise that your experience wasn't what either of us would have wanted. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to share more details with us. Warm Regards

Reviewed May 5, 2011

I went to DC for the 2011 Suntrust National Marathon and chose the hotel for it's location to the race and easy metro access. My hubby, brother and I could have not been happier! From the moment we stepped out of our 6 hour car drive, the doorman, Ron made us feel welcomed and like Kings.

The hotel's lobby is Gorgeous and it was really nice to walk in and know we were staying here. We were greeted with a smile by Annie (hope that is her name) at the front desk. She made sure my brother and I had the same floor and gave me aas quiet room as she could find so I could get sleep.

My brother's room didn't have a view and was a little dark but that was fine, he was very happy there. I had a view overlooking the park somewhat and it was REALLY uncomfortable to have the shower the way it was set-up (as everyone has described) they do have to change that! If you stay with a friend or a colleague, there is NO privacy. The room was very small and kinda cramped. The sink is in the actual room near the bed but not that much bothersome that we had an issue but it was strange and maybe I would have changed rooms if I didn't crash and go to sleep. Really Nice bed and my floor was quiet.

The SERVICE of the hotel is what STANDS OUT, from Greg (concierge) to the Audi "drive you up the street" service, we did not meet anyone who didn't smile and didn't know I wasn't running the marathon.....I still don't know how half the folks knew!!

We celebrated my race at the upstairs club, it was nice and had a great view. Boring but it got better as the night progressed, great place for singles!! Wish they had more seats available to guests though, we had no where to sit and my legs were killing me.

Also, I had a really hard time getting a cab the day of the marathon and I had a lovely lady run blocks at 6am trying to get me a cab the morning of the race, the metro access absolutely failed and I was almost in tears! She calmed me down and got me there!

I told my hubby when we go back this is the place for us! I cannot wait to go back again for my next race!

Room Tip: Ask for a Fab Room
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank Jasmina26

Hi abomb526,
Thanks for the honest feedback. I hope you were able to record a good time on the marathon as well?! Thanks for recognizing our talent members that contributed to a great stay. When planning your next stay make sure to reach out for Greg and the concierge team so they can secure a reservation for you with POV. Good luck training for the next marathon!