“Wonderful New Years Eve”
Review of Cedar Restaurant

Cedar Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Cedar Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #227 of 3,322 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: Between 8th & 9th
Transit: Gallery Place-Chinatown (YL,GR,RD), Archives-Navy Mem-Penn Quarter (YL,GR), Metro Center (BL,OR,RD)
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The chef had a tasting menu, not my favorite option if you have read my reviews, but there were options that made the meal personal and pleasing to my palate. The steak was incredible, innovations were reasonable and tasty, and we had a great time. My only complaint is that the waitress reccommended a bottle of wine that we accepted and only later learned was nearly twice the price of every other bottle we had been considering. Shame on us for not asking the price, but . . .

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We had dinner here for the first time, and really enjoyed it. We went after a matinee and ordered the $35 "pre-theater" dinner. The food and service were both excellent. The place is sedate with quiet background music, which makes it one of the few restaurants where one can talk to friends while eating and actually hear them. I had the soup and my dinner companions had the salad - both very good, although the soup was a little strong on cinnamon or nutmeg flavor. The salmon was perfectly cooked, with a good sear, and the risotto and vegetables which accompanied it were really delicious. One friend had the steak, which she thoroughly enjoyed. Of the two desserts offered, the sticky taffy cake was the better - moist with a lovely flavor. In all, an excellent restaurant experience for a very reasonable price. We will return.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband and I met a friend here for Sunday brunch. The service is impeccable: attentive but not obtrusive, from the moment of your arrival until departure. I requested no blue cheese on my Cobb salad; it arrived with blue cheese. I planned to eat around it, but when our server noticed the cheese, she insisted on removing it and having it replaced with a salad as I had requested it. My husband and our friend enjoyed their meals. The food is elegant and well prepared, and the room is elegant and quiet. We made reservations by phone ahead of time--probably a good idea. One thing I noticed: The restaurant is below street level, and stairs are the only means I saw to get down to the restaurant. Potential diners who need accessibility should call ahead and make sure there is an elevator somewhere.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We've eaten 6 times in the last 2 months at Cedar in DC. Each time the service has been impeccable, the food unbelievably flavorful, and the ambiance delightful. Chef Aaron obviously knows how to put flavors and textures together. AND--wonder of wonders--its clear that each dish is tasted before it gets to your table. In all...marvelous.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Had a Sunday brunch here and found the food good, the service very pleasant, and the prices reasonable. Only drawback is that the restaurant is in a basement. Although it is well decorated to avoid a claustrophobic feel, you do not get to view the lively Penn Quarter neighborhood ife, which is part of the attraction of this area.