“Great!”

Ranked #24 of 442 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A truly green spectacle, with a jungle, a National Garden with a First Ladies water garden, a rose garden and exhibits on ecology and evolutionary biology.
Sofia, Bulgaria
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

You must see it!!! Not big but very interesting museum. Specially orchids part, was gorgeous. And as far as I know it is one of the oldest botanic Gardens in the States.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Gardens galore”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Beautiful and varied and a pleasure to walk through. We did have a problem with the audio setup they have, since we tried one of the codes and it was talking about the wrong place in the gardens. So we didn't bother trying again. We also thought the plant markings could have been better. But all in all it was lovely. Lots of variety. We particularly enjoyed all the orchids.

New Jersey
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Amazing collection of plants and flowers from all over the world - very lovely location, and a bit less harried many of the other tourist attractions in town. If I lived here, I think I'd spend many afternoons sitting in the rose garden, or even in the water room. So lovely, so relaxing!

Chicago
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“So Beautiful!”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stumbled on this fabulous garden during a recent business trip when I found myself with a few unexpected hours of free time. It is nothing short of glorious!

As you wander through the indoor exhibits you are magically transported from one country to another, from one climate the another. As each door opens you enter enother "world" of flowers, plants, vines and cacti.

I expecially loved the "Orchid Room" filled with more orchids in one place than I think I've ever seen.

Leaving the indoor space you can then wander through the beautifully manicured outdoor garden with its unique fountain and trails.

When you need a break from visiting all the other museums on the mall, I highly recommend a visit to this literal breath of fresh air!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank wndyctyGAL
Midland, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Always well done and very interesting if you like flowers and plants.”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was our second visit to the Botanic Garden and it was beautiful. All the orchids were blooming, hydrangeas were unbelievable, and the trees and plants outdoors green and profusely blooming. We spent about two hours wandering through everything and taking notes about things we'd like to try at our home in Florida. And, we'll be back next time we're in Washington!