“Shhhhh its a secret”

Ranked #24 of 457 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Steeped in history, rich with tradition, the United States Botanic Garden (USBG) is a living plant museum that informs visitors about the importance, and often irreplaceable value, of plants to the well-being of humans and to earth's fragile ecosystems. U.S. Botanic Garden campus includes the Conservatory, the National Garden, and Bartholdi Park.
Reviewed July 20, 2011

When I visited lasted December, there were very few visitors in this sylvan retreat. I love plants and I found the indoor gardens delightful. I felt as though I was moving through a giant terrarium. You will find numerous ecospheres from tropical to medicinal to rare and endangered. At Christmastime, there is a wonderful olden-day train display here. You will also appreciate the balmy temperatures inside if you are visiting in Washington's cold winter months. A real wonderland.

Reviewed June 27, 2011

I forced my kids to go to the Botanic Garden because I wanted to see the plants. Although they were not expecting to enjoy it at all, they all actually really enjoyed it & we spent quite a bit of time going through. The plants are beautiful, and it was not crowded. There is a very nice butterfly garden outsdie. It was a great place to take pictures & if you give your kids a camera it will keep them busy for a long time! My favorite part of the whole thing, though, was the friendly security guard who greeted us at the door as if we were old friends, did not need to search through our bags, and just told us to ENJOY our visit. It was sure nice to remember what the good old days used to be like. It was a really nice change of pace from monuments, museums, politics, and memorials. I would definitely go back!

Reviewed June 13, 2011

We visited the gardens on Saturday afternoon. Most of the flowers were either dead or not in bloom. There were name tags for each plant showing what it is. Not very colorful. There was a neat water fountain towards the back of the gardens. Overall, I wasn't very impressed. Don't plan on spending more than 20 mins in the outdoor part. The indoor section was closed already when we went so maybe that would make up for it.

Reviewed May 3, 2011

Did a quick run round here as I was passing (another of the free DC attractions) and as I'm not "a plant person".  If you are said person, you'd probably find it a lot more interesting.  As it is there were many pretty plants and I was surprised at how much and how many different environments they were able to efficiently squeeze into such a small space (where's Kew Gardens, London or Eden Project, Cornwall are huge and sprawly by comparison).
Worth a look if you're passing; I wouldn't go out of your way unless you are "a plant person".

Reviewed April 24, 2011

I had read the reviews before we went, and figured if we found it we would stop in. Well, it was right next to the Capitol, so we decided to stop in. We all loved it, even my kids, who didnt want to leave. We spent about and hour and enjoyed it very much, pretty cool place.

1  Thank kearajim