“Strange”

$75.00*
DC Monuments and Memorials Pedicab Tour
Ranked #11 of 457 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: This outdoor memorial is the most popular of presidential memorials, in large part because of its elegant design, which includes waterfalls and sculptures.
Useful Information: Stroller parking
Reviewed December 8, 2009

We stumbled upon this memorial, after going around the Jefferson memorial. Its quite long, with lots of large blocks of stone. Waterfalls, and green statues. Its almost like they wanted to hide the memorial. Thats the feeling I had. I guess its a connector memorial between the Jefferson and Lincoln. Makes you feel good to know the money the gov steals from your paycheck goes to a good cause.

3  Thank sebring4449

Reviewed November 1, 2009

This memorial is the most pleasing of them all. The water features make is so relaxing and placid. Worth checking out!

Reviewed October 16, 2009

I visited Washington DC this past weekend. It was my first trip back in many a year and I was eager to see the new memorials that have benn added esp. the WWII and the FDR. I was so overwhelmed by the FDR Memorial for in its simple arrangement lies the strength of the man. I felt like it was a travelog taking me through the most dramatic times in American History. Between the Depression and the WW II it was amazing. The water running over the blocks added to the energy of the site. The water created the symbolic avenue for all facets of FDR's presidency from the TVA to his untimely passing near the end of WW II. The flowing water created its own facet and effect with the memorial.

The memorial left me wanting to know more about the man so I began reading up on FDR. Make sure you see this and plan a few minutes just to sit and reflect on the man and his relationship to the nation which is still felt some 60 years later.

2  Thank upstateny24
Reviewed October 9, 2009

I've been a fan of the big memorials in DC for a long time, led by the Lincoln Memorial. But the FDR Memorial has become my recent favorite. It is an old-fashioned memorial, with great slabs of granite and other stone, stretching for almost a block along the Potomac River, linked by water. It tells the story of his presidency and the quotes carved into the rock are as important now as when he spoke them more than 50 years ago. Touring the space in the day is like a living history lesson. But at night, the high walls, the roaring water, the statues and the low lights turn the space into an amazing art show. It is powerful, emotional, even a bit romantic. It is worth two visits if you are even in Washington DC.

1  Thank bikefella
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The day we went was warm and beautiful, however remember the sunscreen. We forgot and we were bright red for my friend's wedding. This monument was by far the most inspiring. There was even a dedication to Mrs. Roosevelt. It is expansive, so where comfortable shoes. Make sure you stop to read all of the quotes. Many of the most commonly used quotes today were from Franklin Roosevelt. I cannot wait to go back to D.C. just to see this monument again.