“25 Years in DC and a 2012 Tony”

Shakespeare Theatre Company
More attraction details
Owner description: The Shakespeare Theatre Company produces and presents award-winning plays in its two venues in downtown Washington D.C., attracting many theatre-goers from D.C., Maryland, Virginia and from around the world. As a non-profit arts organization our education programs bring classical theatre experiences, critical discussions and vital academic resources into area schools and communities. We also host a number of other arts organizations who perform world class dance, music, and much more.
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I have enjoyed all the shows I have seen at STC. I think I prefer the Lansburgh Theater better than the new Harmon Theater (opened in 2007) because it is more intimate.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I always get my fix whenever I am back in DC. You will always see an innovative performance, even if the setting is "traditional." I love the traditional interpretations more, but I still get something from the plays that are re-set in creative milieu. I've recently seen plays set in Cuba and in post-WWI London. The acting is superb, the stagecraft second to none, and the "new" facility beautiful. I sometimes miss the intimacy of the Lansburgh (which was the "new" theater when we lived in DC and were mourning the intimacy of the old Folger), but am so excited to see the company able to pack the house in the larger space.

Go if you get the chance. It will be unlike anything you've experienced, with the possible exception of the West End.

1  Thank CLK10
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We have a wonderful Shakespeare Theater in Chicago and the DC group could come close. The theater is intimate and you are easily caught up in the peerformance

Reviewed April 12, 2012

While I don't always agree with how they interpret Shakespeare's plays, the two plays I've been to were produced excellently and provided me new insights.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

I've been a ticket subscriber to the STC for several years since seeing a stirring performance of King John years in 1998. Since then, the performances have been consistently strong with a core cast of players and the occasional star. The plays here are the stars however under the masterful direction of Artistic Director Michael Kahn. I've seen most of the Shakespeare plays I think now as well as French, Greek, Spanish, and other English theater classics from The Trojan Women, Candide, The County Wife, The Imaginary Invalid, I could go on. The tickets are moderately priced (nothing like Broadway prices!) given the production values, and location in the wonderful Penn Quarter of DC (near the Verizon Center). Several great places to dine and near Metro. I am a life-time fan!