“Low-key Cool Neighborhood”

$20.00*
Haunted DC Walking Tour on Capitol Hill
Ranked #26 of 445 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: At the east end of The Mall, the Hill is home to the U.S. Capitol.
Wash, DC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Low-key Cool Neighborhood”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Friendliest neighborhood in DC! Eastern Market on the weekends is a must-do, great restaurants and beautiful scenery. Love The Hill!

Visited October 2012

• Vietnamese first
Lancashire, England
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“This really is a 'Must See'”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

You can pre book a tour or if you're prepared to join a queue you can turn up on the day.
I visited on a Friday morning after arriving in Washington DC. It looked like it was going to rain and so I decided to head for Capitol Hill. I had emailed about tours just after I booked my trip and was asked to email back nearer the time to book. Whilst I did email nearer my departure time, I didn't get a response and so just went on a flyer.
Arriving there quite early, there were no queues and so I managed to get on a tour straight away. There was perhaps a five minute wait from receiving my pass to the tour starting in the huge underground Emancipation Hall. Basically you're guided in groups around the Capitol, listening to your guide on a headset. The guides are knowledgable and interesting to listen to. If anything the tour is a little rushed as you are trying to digest so much information whilst at the same time being confronted with such amazing sites within the Capitol itself, whether it be Statuary Hall on the ground or above with the amazing Rotunda and The Apotheosis of Washington. I and another family got detached from our group, which worked in our favour as when we eventually found our way to the place to hand your headsets in, we were offered tickets to tour the House of Representatives. Before I had left from the UK, I had determined that it was unlikely I would be able to see that as I was not an American citizen and as the British Embassy are most unhelpful and don't give the coutesy of a response to communications from British Citizens, I figured I'd not get to see it. So when the opportunity arose I took it. It was very interesting to listen to the commentary provided to the other groups who had pre booked their tours through their respective congress men / women to learn how the house works and the significance of its various features.
I'll definitely go again if the opportunity arises.

Visited August 2012
LaVale, Maryland
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is a really amazing area with the Capitol and other pretty buidlings around DC area. I have never been past the White House before, but I have seen pictures and it looks like a beauty as well. I highly recommend going to Capitol hill and also go in the Capitol because you will not regret it.

Visited November 2011
Tampa, Florida
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Capitol Hill”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The capitol was beautiful, but sadly, the public tour I was on was not that good due to the tour guide. She was an older lady who spent more time worrying about other tours being near us and fussing over a guy in a wheelchair (she actually left the tour to ride the elevator with him...even though he had family with him). She didn't say much so my family snuck away and joined another tour, which showed more rooms in the Capitol (like the Supreme Court Judge's chamber - which is not on the public tour). I recommend asking your senator or emailing the capitol early to go on a special tour if you have more than 45 mins to spend.

Visited July 2012
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Amazing architecture!”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

From the outside to the inside, our Capitol Hill is an architectural beauty. You will definitely appreciate the greatness of our country. We booked our tour via our congressional office, but during the off season, it seems like you can just walk in for a tour. The tour took about an hour, and it provided a lot of interesting info. The rotunda and all the art work inside are really impressive. There is another tour you can book through your senator's office, but we didn't have time, so review on that one. There is also a food cafeteria inside with reasonable prices. We tried the chicken strips with fries, a slice of pizza, and a bowl of clam chowder, and they were all good. The Library of Congress is just across the street, and you can also get there through a tunnel from the Capitol Hill, so you can book tours of both places in close proximity. We'd definitely recommend a tour of the Capitol Hill.

Visited October 2012