John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
$55.00*
Epic Evening Tour: Small Group Bus Tour
Ranked #28 of 458 things to do in Washington DC
Reviewed February 6, 2012

It is beautiful inside! The accustics in the theatre was excellent. Very nice area.

Reviewed February 6, 2012

The history and the grand indoor architecture are impressive enough, and then when you see the National Symphony Orchestra or one of the national traveling shows, it tops it off. The gift shop is great, too. Very reasonable prices.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

Views from the lobby and terrace across the Potomac are especially nice at sunset. Theaters are comfortably sized. I enjoy the buzz in the lobby during performances and being in the company of people who love live theater.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

We really like to go to performances at the Kennedy Center. It's a beautiful space and the shows are always top notch!

Reviewed February 2, 2012

My mother and I recently went to the Kennedy Center while on vacation in DC. I am a frequent visitor, but always enjoy playing "tourist" and taking a guided tour of the facility was something I hadn't done. Because we were staying nearby, we walked over, but just outside the Foggy Bottom metro station there is a free Kennedy Center shuttle bus that runs all day, with great frequency - maybe every 10 minutes or so. Very handy, if you don't feel like walking or the weather is uncooperative.

We went to the tour desk, which is down the escalator. Had to dodge some construction - there is quite a bit of renovation going on - but we found the desk easily and asked for a tour. Here' s the best part: They said, "Are you ready to go now?" and we were off. Just the two of us! We were amazed and delighted, to say the least, to get a private hour-long tour with a lovely and competant guide named Ceresa.

Now I will readily admit that we were quite fortunate, it doesn't always work out that way. Ceresa told us that January is generally a slow month and that Mondays are generally slow days, so we had hedged our bet, to be sure. She said that in the summer, groups can show up unannounced and that she has taken up to 70 before. In other words, it paid off nicely for us to play the odds.

Having said all of that, the tour itself was marvelous. You get to see the three theaters, plus have access to member reception areas and the Presidential receiving room. And the art! Gifts from the nations of the world to see and enjoy as well as learn the colorful history of this wonderful national treasure. Views from the terraces are terrific - and photo ops abound. If you've got an hour to spare in DC, this is a very worthy way to spend it.

Additionally - and this is something I never miss doing at least once - there are free performances lasting up to an hour every single day of the year in the foyer on the Millenium Stage at 6pm. There is a monthly schedule that you can pick up at the information desk in the Kennedy Center lobby, but I've always just done potluck and gone. I've seen everything from a toy piano concert, to hand puppets doing Hamlet, to Serbian a capella folk singers, to a gospel choir performance. It is sponsored by Target, and it is such a gift. How wonderful that anyone, any day can see performing arts live at the Kennedy Center! I cannot recommend these highly enough. GO!

2  Thank lswendell