“Saw Billy Elliot at the Kennedy center...”

John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
Ranked #26 of 428 things to do in Washington DC
Leesburg, Virginia
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 199 helpful votes
“Saw Billy Elliot at the Kennedy center...”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

My 12 yr old son and I went to see Billy Elliot at the Kennedy Center. The Kennedy Center is a great facility and worth a visit if you are in the DC area. In 1986, I was on a high school trip and a friend and I got tickets to see Carousel with Tom Wopat. I was hooked.

Since my kids were 5, we have taken them to the family shows that are only an hour and based on kid's books. We also took them to see the Lion King. My husband and I saw the Producers. The theater is magnificent. They offer free shows on weekends with various performance artists.

I did like Billy Ellliot enough. On the Kennedy center website, they offer what shows are appropriate for what ages. BE was recommended for 11 and up. My son had a challenging time understanding the Northern England accent. Also I found it peculiar that our Billy Elliot was of Japanese heritage. It was unexpected because this is the Broadway version tour ( as opposed to a community playhousee) and tickets were $100 a piece. I thought I could look past it and would not notice after a while, but when he kept calling his parents "dad" and "mum" it was hard for to look past it because they in no way look related. I wonder if an Asian person would feel the same way if Miss Saigon was Caucasian or Latino? The boy who played BE was unbelievably talented and very good at his craft. I see why they chose him to play the part. As I said, it was a bit unexpected. The next day my son saw the TV commercial for BE and said, " he doesn't look like the kid we saw." I read the NY reviews and no one else comments on this. That leads me to believe that BE resembles his parents in the NY version. It didn't really determine how I felt about the musical just found it peculiar.

Visited January 2012

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“One of my favorite things about DC is the Kennedy Center”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We have attended such a diversity of entertainment here, from sword fighting exhibitions, concerts, operas, ballets, and even visiting the balcony just to relax. It's an amazing place where the entire family can enjoy and there are also free shows daily at the Milenium Stage. What perfection!

Spotsylvania, Virginia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 121 helpful votes
“Great Place for New Year's Eve”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Saw a great musical there. Complimentary party in the lobby afterward. Fun show; great setting. Convenient shuttle from the metro.

Visited January 2012
Dana Point, California
235 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 156 helpful votes
“The Best Way to Bring in a New Year”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

This year I chose to ring the new year with theater at the Kennedy Center. I must say it was the best decision ever! The Kennedy Center although not necessarily aethetically pleasing on the outside, it is beautiful on the inside.

The production of Billy Elliott was superb and the celebration in the Grand Foyer where all theater patrons for the evening in the different venues met for drinks, music and lights.

The only constructive criticism I have is that there should be either more bars or a greater number of staff at the bars to expedite service faster especially when all the patrons flood into the foyer.

Other than that, I look forward to bringing in 2013 at the Kennedy Center!

Visited December 2011
usa
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Quality of the National Symphony questionable”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

The National Synphony seems to have only guest conductors. Thus, it didn't feel that ithe performance was as precise as if they had a steady leader

Visited December 2011