“A Romantic Valentine's Dinner”

Lafayette Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Lafayette Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #90 of 3,341 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: H Street
Transit: McPherson Square, Farragut West, Farragut North
Description: Directly overlooking Lafayette Square towards the White House, The Lafayette is a destination restaurant in Washington, DC featuring a light-filled dining room and carefully prepared menu of upscale contemporary American cuisine. With an attentive staff, stately setting and meal service for breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch, The Lafayette provides a truly unique fine dining experience in Washington, D.C.
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We signed up for the prix fixe Valentine's Day dinner and were not disappointed. This was way more than we usually spend for a meal but this was an event and deserved a special occasion. While I have had more interesting food this was all done to perfection. The wait staff was very attentive and friendly. I only wish I could afford to go back. If you've got a special event to celebrate in DC put the Lafayette at the top of your list.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

My partner took me here for my birthday and I really enjoyed it.

Cob salad Starter was too big, I couldn't resist eating it all which nearly ruined me for the rest of the meal! Top tip, pace your self!

The food was top quality, and in large amounts. The wine list was good and reasonably priced. The staff had the right mix between being there when you needed them and not standing over you all the time.

Location next to the white house is very cool.

The souffle for desert was the nicest I have ever had.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

This restaurant had the best food that we experienced in the city (far better than the more expensive Plume). It was, however, a bit crowded and our server was a bit offputting.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We spent an evening at The Lafayette Restaurant for our 10-year anniversary. The entire staff are the pinnacle of courtesy and professionalism, and each member took pride their position. We were coming in from Pennsylvania and hit traffic which required us to call ahead and let them know we wouldn't make our 8pm seating. Their response "Please take your time, drive safely, and we'll have a table waiting for you when you arrive." Class act! A limited menu focused on excellence, with a respectable wine and alcohol list.

The meal started with a phenomenal ceviche-type of appetizer with large shrimp, lobster and crab pieces. There were two soups, a cream-based seafood and a tomato bisque. Both were good, if not a little plain. We shared a crab fritter salad which was served with a tartar sauce. Excellent! I had a rack of lamb and my wife had the filet. Both were of the highest quality. We ended with great desserts, coffee and brandy and a nice conversation with our server.

During the main course, there was a period where I wanted to order a red wine but our server was not available but I managed with the nice white we had been drinking up until then. It was certainly the most expensive meal I've ever purchased (we knew it would be expensive going in), but I belive we received everything we paid for and hope to return someday soon!

1  Thank Timothy B
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Visited Lafayette to celebrate a special occasion with a party of 8. The decor of the hotel was very classic with beautiful wood and moulding. It was also very elegantly decorated for the holidays.
I was disappointed that the restaurant was on the first floor of the hotel, it does not have a view. It is next to the White House but you can't tell from inside the restaurant.

The restaurant itself was very classy with fresh flowers and orchids everywhere. There was live piano and the restaurant was beautifully lit with ornate chandeliers and candles.

We were greeted very politely and escorted to our table. The service was really impeccable. Clarence, our waiter for the night was very helpful and friendly and everyone that we dealt with was very professional.

We were served a wonderful seafood ceviche as an amuse bouche which was really fantastic and a hummus for the vegetarian in the group.

The appetizers were very good. The crab fritter salad was fantastic and not too much for an appetizer. The edamame dumplings also looked very good. Presentation was excellent.

The appetizer was followed by a champagne sorbet to cleanse the palate for the main course.

The Dover sole was prepared at the table and is on elf the best fish that I have had in the US. The lamb was cooked to perfection and the sides were just right.

I am a dessert person so I always look forward to dessert and this was definitely worth the wait. I had the bread pudding which looked like a piece of art and tasted even better and the white chocolate soufflé was to die for.

The meal was ended with the finest complimentary chocolate truffles.

I did not think the bill was bad considering it was eight of us with appetizers, entree, dessert and coffee/tea, it worked out to about 90us per person.

It is great for a special occasion. Great food, ambience and service more than compensated for the lack of a view which we were expecting.

I highly recommend this restaurant.