“Lovely food. Nice informal atmosphere”

Los Cuates Restaurant
Ranked #521 of 3,482 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Cross street: Q St.
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We went about 2:30pm on a Sunday afternoon. Full menu available & service was friendly & quick. Waiter gave recommendation for the Platanos Fritos & they were lovely. Similar to banana fritters for UK visitors. Steak fajita's were fab. Nice & close to then take a wander down through Georgetown. Would definitely recommend it if you are looking for authentic mexican food & atmosphere.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I've been to this Mexican restaurant a couple times now, and while I have enjoyed it each time, I wouldn't say it's my favorite place.

I went there again last night. The very small restaurant was full, which made it very noisy. My table was near the bar and near the kitchen, so I'm certain my chair was bumped or kicked about 20 times over the course of the meal. Something, like the noise, that I got used to after a while.

The salsa had big chunks of fresh tomato and spices in it. Pretty good, though not very spicy. I've had better, but I've definitely had worse. The chips were thin which didn't work as well with the big chunks. About every 5th chip would break while trying to dole out some salsa.

My girlfriend is from Mexico. She really liked the tortilla soup she ordered. This says a lot for it. She's not picky, but she knows good tortilla soup. I ordered the spinach and cheese enchiladas. Apparently, since I got two different kinds of enchiladas it was no longer the $9.95 price listed for two, but a dollar more. Since I'd noticed that two different kinds of enchiladas were listed in a different part of the menu as being more expensive I didn't fight it. Had I gotten two of the same it would have saved me a buck. Lame, but whatever. They were pretty good, and being vegetarian they gave me white rice and black beans instead of the norm. They were ok. My salad was huge. Much larger than is typical but I should have asked for more dressing. What they gave me originally didn't go far.

The service wasn't so hot, though I gathered that other waiters were a little more attentive to their own tables. We actually had to flag down other waiters on occasion. There were a lot of them, though I could never find ours anywhere.

Not a bad place, though I think I'd try another Mexican restaurant in Georgetown before I'd go back to this one. Not a bad place though.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Nice place to come with a group of friends. Not great for families with kids. Very loud, but the atmosphere is great. Good drinks and generally good food. The nachos with steak were delicious as were the quesadillas and the tortilla salad (all made with same “steak”, so I guess that's the reason). My husband did not care for his dish and my daughter did not like her shrimp though. We were lucky to get in without a reservation, but the place was packed and just minutes after we came in there was already a line of locals outside waiting to get in. Place appears to be a very popular spot. Our waiter was a bit confused but not bad, although hard to get ahold of if you want a second drink for example. Not the best Mexican I have ever had despite the reviews and not consistent (wish everyone enjoyed their food) but the dishes made with the "steak" were unanimous hits. Not worthy of a return, but worth a try.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were looking for a good Mexican restaurant in Georgetown and we're still looking. Everything was mediocre - especially the guacamole. The one thing that was really good was the meat in the beef tacos. Very smokey flavor and extrememly good. I doublt that we will return to this restaurant but if we did it would be because of the beef in the tacos. The margariatas were too strong for my taste.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We made reservations for this restaurant for earlier in the day, as we have heard that it can get packed. We arrived around 4pm on a Friday, and had the entire restaurant to ourselves. We had looked up ideas on what was good here and what we should definitely try. Which was what we started out with, the Don Julio Margaritas.

Our waiter went behind the bar and handmade each of our margaritas and the glasses were fun (little margarita glasses held up by a saguaro cactus for the stem). We ordered our appetizers, the Tamalito Dulce (it was a cornbread tamale, and so sweet!) and the Empanadas (which came with an amazing green sauce you will want to ask for with your meal!).

We then ordered another round of margaritas and had them make them spicy. THEY WERE FANTASTIC. We then ordered our meals, and they were good, but we veered away from what was recommended. We ordered combination platters that had the chile rellenos, chicken tamales, and cheese enchiladas. We knew we were supposed to get the cheese enchiladas and the tacos al carbon, but our stomachs ordered for us. In the end it was okay for the food. The tamales were like cornbread that was over steamed and the rellenos were over battered, but the chile in the center was delicious.

Overall, I would say the drinks were great and the cheese enchiladas are the way to go.