“Coco Loco!”
Review of Co Co. Sala

Co Co. Sala
Reserve with OpenTable
Co Co. Sala is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #238 of 3,367 Restaurants in Washington DC
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 9th
Transit: MetroCenter (red, orange and blue line) and Gallery Place Chinatown (red, green and yellow line)
Description: Co Co. Sala is Washington DC's award-winning Restaurant & Chocolate Boutique inviting you to experience chocolate, coffee, and cocktails in a tantalizing new way! Specializing in cuisine with global flavors, espresso and chocolate-based drinks, artisanal chocolates, and exquisite desserts, patrons can also satisfy cravings of the salty and savory variety with dishes incorporating chocolate and coffee in surprisingly unique mediums.
Reviewed March 26, 2011

I made a reservation for brunch online with a note that it was my wife's birthday, Dropped my wife off while I tried to find parking--no valet on weekend days, apparently. My wife called as I drove around telling me that the hostess told her about a nearby garage--she wouldn't seat her until I arrived and threatened to release our table after 15 minutes! BTW, parking is very difficult in the area--and lots of one-way streets that make you go around a four block search in all directions. Grrrr! Nice start! Came in, my wife was like sharing a booth at a small table with a family of six with small children. Got the hostess, found an empty table for two--then shortly after she came back and said a table near us was going to have six people coming, if we wanted to move. Wha? Asked the waiter which of the champagnes was the driest--three selections at $55, one at $85. He couldn't answer the question, came back with the answer--the $85 bottle. Sent him back for the info on the $55 bottles. Double Grrrr. Bottle didn't show up for 10+ minutes, he spilled it and over-poured both glasses--filled my glass before my wife's, but didn't ask me to taste, then back over to me. ??

We ordered the prix fixe brunch--amuse bouche was a warm ball of cake with hot chocolate syrup around it. Very good. My egg souffle thing came lukewarm, runny, in a narrow "boat"-type dish. I sent it back--ten minutes to cook up a new one. No apologies, no "sorry about that, sir" no "we'll take care of this right away, sir"--nada. The waiter threw down some chocolate-covered bacon strips. Was that by way of making amends, or part of the fixed price? Couldn't get the guy to pour any more champagne. Dessert was okay--lots of chocolate, of course. Didn't offer us coffee. The waiter screwed up the bill--but, since it was in my favor, I took the discount, and we took our leave.

This is not a brunch place for a special occasion, much less a place I would ever go back to. This place could be fun if the food were upgraded and the staff replaced by people who care at all about service.

Reviewed February 14, 2011

Simply one of the best restaurants in the District! The food, the decor and the attentiveness of the wait staff makes Coco Sala a must. Chef Tiptur created an incredible menu of taste sensation. Our waiter, Faisel was a true professional, he was very attentive and offered wonderful suggestions! I can't wait to take my "snooty, elite" New York friends to Coco Sala!

Reviewed January 4, 2011

The entrees are limited but enticing. We had lamb and chicken sliders which were on fresh baked rolls and spiced appropriately. Also, get the bacon macaroni and cheese. Remarkable! We had the desserts and that threw the meal over the top. Staff was beautiful and very friendly. They even inscribed Happy Birthday in hand-written chocolate for my best friend who just turned 50. We had a great tme in this chic, well-appointed restaurant.

To experience the chocolate, you must order dessert. The black onyx dessert includes a mousse ensemble that leaves you speechless. The chocolate sampler offers small touches of homemade treats on 8-10 display trays. Beautifully presented and eaten to the last morsel.

Reviewed November 9, 2010

I attended an event at Coco Sala last night, the host offered valet parking; however, we waited 10 minutes for someone to take our car. The nightmare came when we left the
restaurant to ask for our car. My husband gave the ticket to the valet from U Street Parking, Inc., 15 minutes later the car did not come. All of a sudden I see that another attendant opened the drawer and I see the keys to my car were still in the drawer. The attendant got the key this time and there he went to fetch our car. Another 15 minutes went by, no car. Then I heard that the valet attendants lost the key of a car from one of the guests. Another person had a parking ticket, because the valet attendant parked her car in a NO PARKING ZONE. I talked to the manager of Coco Sala, very rude individual; he tells me you need to be patient! We were waiting 30 minutes; I thought I was being patient. Eventually after waiting for one hour, they informed us that my car was lost! They did not know where they parked it. The attendant called one of the supervisors of the company and this individual called the owner of the company. He said that they have 3 parking lots and they did not know where our car was parked. We waited another 30 minutes and we were told "we think your car was towed" – I thought that is such a great news! Then the owner of the parking company said, don't worry about it we will check the impound lots for you! WOW great service, thanks for your kindness Mr. Tesfaye (owner of the parking company) and Ms. Lauren Mulvey (manager of events at Coco Sala); in the meantime Mr. Tesfaye said we will call a town car to take you home. We got home at 9:00p, It was 7p when we tried to leave the restaurant. Two hours later we got a phone call from the parking company, no word from Coco Sala of course, they hired the parking company, but they did not bother to call to apologize. Mr. Tesfaye said Good News, we found your car, it was parked somewhere on the street and we will take the car to you. If this was not a nightmare I don't know what a nightmare is. If you ever go there do not give your keys to the valet attendant unless she/he assures you that they will park your car in a lot and not on the street. Besides this incident, the service was lousy at Coco we got there at 5:30p and we did not have a bite to eat until 6:15p, the food is coming soon, just be patient!!! So patience is the word the love to use. Do not go to this restaurant, it stinks!

2  Thank seattle039
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Went to Co Co Sala for Saturday brunch per recommendation of concierge at Hyatt Regency hotel. This place is decorated very modern and cozy. Lots of reds and golds. The seats are either sofas or short upholstered chairs. Most of the food has a chocolate theme. We ordered the weekend pre fix brunch and it included an appetizer, main course and dessert. This place is known as a tappas restuarant so the portions were small. The men left hungry, the women were fine. There were 4 of us and we all ordered something different. We all said our food was excellent. I would recommend this restuarant as long as you know the plates of food are small.