“There really is a Folger Shakespere Library!”

Folger Shakespeare Library
and up
Washington DC Haunted Capitol Walking Tour
Ranked #63 of 445 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: The Shakespearean collection at the Folger Library the worlds largest is only open to the more qualified researcher, but theres still plenty to see, like gardens, Renaissance art and an Elizabethan theater.
NYC
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“There really is a Folger Shakespere Library!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is a wonderful space. It has a beautiful auditorium set up to look like the Globe Theater. Worth the visit if you ever read anything by The Bard.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank jlessuck

Falls Church, Virginia, USA
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Great theater, helpful staff”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We just recently discovered performances at the Folger after living in Washington for 30+ years. We've been missing out. The building exterior is an interesting art deco structure. The exhibit space is small but has interesting information and the exhibit space has a real Elizabethan Great Hall feel.

The theater is terrific. It's a comfortable space, again constructed along Elizabethan lines. Anyone who missed their recently-closed Henry V really missed out. Best Shakespeare performance I've ever seen.

The ticket office staff is also extremely helpful. It's just a block from the Capitol and Library of Congress, so It wouldn't be fun to try to get to a weeknight performance. But accessibility and parking on weekends are good.

There's an elevator up the short flight of entrance stairs for accessibility and the staff is unbelievably helpful with people with mobility issues. Inside, there's no elevator up to the balcony, so anyone with accessibility issues should get tickets on the main floor.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Leonsreed
Maryland
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“An Excellent Theater”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have attended several performances at the Elizabethan theater that is contained in the Folger Shakespeare Library. I have never been disappointed in the quality of the performances and highly recommend it. Most recently I saw Henry V which was highly reviewed with Zach Appelman in the featured role. So, if you are visiting from out of town or if you live in the area and enjoy theater, don't overlook this venue as a source of good theater. And as other reviewers have noted, visiting the exhibits are also interesting.

Visited March 2013
Rochester, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful experience, lots to learn. Docents are the best!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I must confess I knew very little about Shakespeare before this weekend. I participated in the 11:00am museum and the 12:00pm reading room tours. The docents brought history to life. Their experience made the tour interesting, educational, and fun. I would highly recommend the Reading Room tour. We also attended the matinee of Henry V. Excellent performance! Pleasantly surprised.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Weber_Girl
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Not what I was expecting”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My daughter is interested in learning about Shakespeare so I took her to a Saturday morning family program. I was surprised so few families were there; two to be exact. The leader never mentioned Shakespeare, although she did a fine job leading the small group in exercises and arts and crafts and a scavenger hunt. Administration seemed amateurish. We were not on the registration list. We were told that we would receive an email to evaluate the program but never did even after I inquired. We also didn't get notification of upcoming similar programs, which I assumed we would. It was not what I expected at all. There is a spring birthday party that I am hoping will be more interesting for my family and a better learning opportunity for my children. I should mention the giveaways were very cute, especially the quill pen.

Visited December 2012