“comprehensive museum with cool audio guide”

The Phillips Collection
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Walking Tour On Embassy Row in Washington DC
Ranked #23 of 466 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: "Americas First Museum of American Art" boasts a collection of over 2,500 19th and 20th-century masters, both American and European, including Renoir, Picasso, Gauguin, Manet, OKeefe and more.
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Living in DC, I feel very fortunate to have a lot of little gems of museums like The Phillips Collection at my doorstep. I've been to this museum a few times, most recently to view the Van Gogh repetitions, and I feel it's a great place for an event or to wile away an afternoon.

The art itself is impressive, and the collection is varied and comprehensive considering how much attention is given to going to the regular DC museums. While there is a price of admission, you're supporting a private collection that is funded, so I don't really have a problem with that. Also, they had an audio guide for free where you could call a number with your cellphone and that acted as the guide. I had never seen that before, and it was very convenient.

From the outside, you definitely can't tell what's inside, and I guess that's part of its charm. I'd definitely recommend a visit to The Phillips Collection.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,249)
All reviews
in 26 reviews
"works of art"
"admission fee"

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Museums like the Phillips Collection are true gems, displaying art in a more natural setting than the often sterile environment of traditional museums. Walking through the rooms can be a bit confusing, but each corner brings new and intriguing sights. I was there for the Van Gogh exhibit which was nicely curated, but the museum as a whole was quite an experience. The Rothko room is especially interesting for aficionados of his art; it's just you alone with his works ,without any other stimuli, an ideal way to view the work. Parking might be rough, (I was staying at a nearby hotel) but the museum is well worth the effort.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

The Van Gough exhibit was wonderfully put together. It was extremely enjoyable and very educational. Learning more about Renoir increased my appreciation for the artist. The pleasant surprise was my accidental encounter with Renoir's "Le déjeuner des canotiers" It was absolutely breathtaking. I also enjoyed having the docent explain the painting; it made it much more personable which deepened my appreciation of the artist.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

If you love Rothko, you'll love the room designated to his work. I like this gallery very much. Each level had something more to offer the viewer.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We recently visited the Phillips, mainly for the Van Gogh exhibit. Since the VG exhibit is now over. I'll review the Phillips in general, having visited more than once. The Collection is located near Dupont Circle in NW Washington. This is well away from the Mall attractions, situated in a regular, upscale neighborhood. Parking is tough here - if you find a metered spot, have quarters or use a credit card. Cost is $2/hr. Alternative parking is available in a lot at 2105 M Street. Be aware that DC is very strict with parking, and I once got a $100 ticket! Read the signs and be aware of your time on the meter. The Phillips is located in a 3 story building, with basement. The main attrraction is often on the top floor. On the ground floor is the main desk - for the Van Gogh exhibit, cost was $10. There is also a coat room and museum store. We walked the stairs to the 3rd floor, and made our way down. Elevators are available. The Phillips has a very nice collection of mainly American and European art, with quite a bit from the late 1800s to the early 1900s. They have many fine paintings, including a few the National Gallery is envious of! Depending upon your interest in art, I'd say you need one to three hours to see the entire exhibit. The staff is very pleasant, although there are a few docents who think they know more than they do. There is also a cafe on the ground floor. We didn't have lunch there, but I did read the menu and it looked good! If you are an art lover, you should consider a visit to the Phillips!