“Great Show”

and up
Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour of Washington DC: Monuments, Landmarks and Memorials
Ranked #26 of 465 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: "Americas First Museum of American Art" boasts a collection of over 2,500 19th and 20th-century masters, both American and European, including Renoir, Picasso, Gauguin, Manet, OKeefe and more.
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Dont forget to see the original part of the house. The extensive colction of art is priceless. The third floor of the gallery has the most interesting art dislay.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,239)

Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is a relatively small museum with a very special atmosphere. It has a collection of over 3,000 works (mostly French and American, mostly within about the past 200 years). The "philosophy" of the museum, as I understand it, is to rotate pieces in and out and move them around the galleries often so as to juxtapose them in interesting ways. Because it is relatively small, we were able to see all of it in a day and have time to really savor each piece. We were also lucky enough to hear a docent's excellent presentation on Renoir's "Luncheon of the Boating Party."

If I lived in Washington, D.C., I would visit the Phillips often, because from what the docents told us, the displays are always changing.

I appreciated that the museum also had a coat check and a nice coffee shop.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Very impressive and extensive private collection beautifully displayed. The Van Gogh Repetitions exhibit is not to be missed!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

My wife and I spent a couple of hours perusing the Phillips Collection last week. The Van Gogh Repetitions exhibit was outstanding. You could really se the difference as the artist made multiple versions of the same work. As well, there were a good number of other Impressionist works at the museum. We had a great time.

I think it is best for older children and adults. Parents brought small kids and were trying to teach them about art, but all they did was hold up the viewing and bore the little ones.

1  Thank Michael G
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We just visited the Phillips collection. There is a Van Gogh exhibit (Repetitions) and I couldn't wait to see it. We paid for the tickets on-line and had no trouble getting in. The people at the entrance are all very friendly. The people watch the exhibit were quite grumpy and were harassing my wife (my opinion). The exhibit was excellent. We also looked around at the rest of the museum. This is a smaller museum (compared to the other in DC) and the collection is limited. There are some excellent pieces and we enjoyed it. One word of caution, parking is non-existent but the web-site warns you of that.