“First experience of wharf/ port in DC”

Kirwan’s Irish Pub
Reserve a Table
Mon, 10/14
8:00 PM
Ranked #366 of 3,936 Restaurants in Washington DC
Description: Authentic Irish Pub built in Ireland. Owned and operated by Mark Kirwan from Tipperary Ireland. Set on the river in SW Washington DC with three bars and two patios. We offer true Irish hospitality a large selection of imported and crafts beers, A large whiskey selection which can be enjoyed in our whiskey room.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We arrived in this area around 5:30 at it’s busiest time. But we were determined to eat in the area and take in the local wharf’s cultural happenings. We chose Kirwan’s on the wharf, which is an Irish pub. We would have usually ordered fish and chips, but had them in another pub for lunch the day before. I ordered the traditional Shepherd Pie. It has a strong beef-like textured cream gravy with potatoes, peas, and lamb. It was my first time to eat lamb, so not sure I can score it. It was expensive around $25-personally can check it off my bucket list and as an overpriced experience! My desert scored much higher! It was a brownie cake with chocolate and caramel sauce. It was served with chocolate ice cream. We had about a 20 minute wait ( 2 of us) during a very busy time. This meal was probably our most expensive in DC. This area is somewhat of tourist trap with overpriced food. My opinion based on the fact that we averaged about 40-50 per meal for both of us. Look for Happy Hours-this restaurant does NOT have. This meal was just under $100 for average food.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (212)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

There were two of us and we both ordered Filet Mignon cooked “ medium.” That’s probably way overcooked for a good steak , but usually there is a bit of pink . The steaks were chewy and very overcooked ! We told Malik, our attentive and excellent server. He brought us two new steaks, and they were delicious and cooked perfectly. The rest of the meal including dessert pictured below was delicious.
Malik was kind, understanding,helpful and honest . The small problem with the cooking of the steak was more than mitigated by Malik’s way way beyond excellent service!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We just enjoyed a wonderful meal and drinks at Kirwans. I had the tuna salad, the husband's enjoyed the Shepherd's Pie, and my friend enjoyed the rueben sandwich. Our service was wonderful, and I would totally recommend this restaurant. The view was also great!

Reviewed September 8, 2019 via mobile

Chowder was served hot and in a large bowl. Clams were abundant and broth was tasty. 4 large size pieces of fish that were done perfectly. Pub fries were done just right too. Server was attentive and not over bearing. Great food and experience that I went back the next the next night. Had another bowl of chowder and a chicken Caesar salad. Chicken was moist and salad greens were fresh and crispy.

Reviewed September 8, 2019 via mobile

Authentic offerings with kind staff and Sundays you have folk dancers and ensemble . Great and must visit