“Cool bonsai!”

U.S. National Arboretum
Ranked #31 of 472 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1927 by an Act of the United States Congress, this national treasure contains 446 acres of fabulous flora and fauna and is especially known for its Asian, azalea and conifer collections.
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Really good Asian collections here. We enjoyed the shade as much as all the beautiful plants, and didn't realize how big the area was. We'll have to come back to see it all!

All reviews
"different areas"
"cherry blossoms"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We didn't have enough time before closing to take in the entire enormous so my sister recommended the National Bonsai & Penjing (Chinese version) Museum. Wow! The viewing stones are amazing then the bonsai had us gawking like they were celebrities. Each specimen has a plaque identify the species and how long it has been trained. Many are over 100 years and a fabulous Japanese White Pine is dated to 1625! Some have been trained over rocks or attached to driftwood for stunning effect. The North American Pavilion features dramatic California
junipers and the highlight is Goshin, one of the most famous bonsai in the world.
Currently, the dreaded sequester has the Arboretum closed Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
We'll definitely return to check out the Azalea Collections, National Herb Garden, Friendship Garden and Asian Collection, as well as a return to the wonderful Bonsai Museum.

1  Thank TomRuthWilliams
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We were skeptical going in that it was going to be as nice as everyone had noted in their reviews on trip advisor, especially since you're not sure where to park and it's not in the best part of town. But...it was really great. We went at around 9 in the morning, so right before most people get there. You should stop off at the Arboretum House - they have a great gift store. Follow the trail around towards the picnic area and make sure you stop off at the brick structure as there are more gardens with great photo opportunities. If you follow the trail around to the picnic area, there's another parking lot (so you have the option to drive there instead of walking). It then rounds back around to the coliseum, which is really amazing! It's a great photo opportunity. We with the fountain had been running, because I think we would have had the full effect. It's almost feels like you're at the Parthenon, without all the crowds and nasty, strict Greek guards yelling at you :). If you walk around the trail, it leads to the to the Japanese gardens, which are really amazing. I would advise making sure you stop by and get a map, because there is a lot to see and you may miss it. The Japanese Gardens terrace was closed, which was also a bummer. The only thing we'd wish we'd done was done the tram ride, I think it would have been a great way to see all of what we missed. We have two toddlers (3 and 4), and they loved it too! Really great part of DC, not to be missed!

1  Thank kristalondoncouture
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I loved the National Arboretum and we will definitely be back for more. Next time we might take our bikes and just drive around on the huge property.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 4, 2013

At first, I saw the picture of some ancient pillars at the front of tourist map. The place in the picture looks great, but sadly no one seemed to know where it was or what it was called. Finally I did some search in Google and found that it was the National Capitol Columns. I really want to visit there but I didn't have a car. And the route to go there seemed to be tough. So I emailed to the staff but there was no reply mail. However, I decided to go no matter how long I have to walk.
The route to go there is not that complex for tourists (but if you have cars, it's better). I took Metro then got on the bus and walk about 500 m to the entrance.
At first I didn't know how to get to the Columns. The map actually wasn't help much. So I went straight and walked across the lawn toward the Columns I just saw far away. Actually they are just columns but the pool in front of them made them look more interesting.
The things that really made me impressed in this place were the garden, such as Colonial Garden, Bonsai Museum, Japanese Garden, etc. I went there in summer, so there were many flowers and butterflies. The sight was spectacular!

1  Thank Yosawa