“An unexpectedly amazing location!”

U.S. National Arboretum
Ranked #37 of 428 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1927 by an Act of the United States Congress, this national treasure contains 446 acres of fabulous flora and fauna and is especially known for its Asian, azalea and conifer collections.
Ashburn, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“An unexpectedly amazing location!”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We were skeptical going in that it was going to be as nice as everyone had noted in their reviews on trip advisor, especially since you're not sure where to park and it's not in the best part of town. But...it was really great. We went at around 9 in the morning, so right before most people get there. You should stop off at the Arboretum House - they have a great gift store. Follow the trail around towards the picnic area and make sure you stop off at the brick structure as there are more gardens with great photo opportunities. If you follow the trail around to the picnic area, there's another parking lot (so you have the option to drive there instead of walking). It then rounds back around to the coliseum, which is really amazing! It's a great photo opportunity. We with the fountain had been running, because I think we would have had the full effect. It's almost feels like you're at the Parthenon, without all the crowds and nasty, strict Greek guards yelling at you :). If you walk around the trail, it leads to the to the Japanese gardens, which are really amazing. I would advise making sure you stop by and get a map, because there is a lot to see and you may miss it. The Japanese Gardens terrace was closed, which was also a bummer. The only thing we'd wish we'd done was done the tram ride, I think it would have been a great way to see all of what we missed. We have two toddlers (3 and 4), and they loved it too! Really great part of DC, not to be missed!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank kristalondoncouture

• Korean first
South Riding, Virginia
“Bonai Exhibit at the National Arboretum”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I loved the National Arboretum and we will definitely be back for more. Next time we might take our bikes and just drive around on the huge property.

Bangkok, Thailand
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Worth for anyone who love plants.”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

At first, I saw the picture of some ancient pillars at the front of tourist map. The place in the picture looks great, but sadly no one seemed to know where it was or what it was called. Finally I did some search in Google and found that it was the National Capitol Columns. I really want to visit there but I didn't have a car. And the route to go there seemed to be tough. So I emailed to the staff but there was no reply mail. However, I decided to go no matter how long I have to walk.
The route to go there is not that complex for tourists (but if you have cars, it's better). I took Metro then got on the bus and walk about 500 m to the entrance.
At first I didn't know how to get to the Columns. The map actually wasn't help much. So I went straight and walked across the lawn toward the Columns I just saw far away. Actually they are just columns but the pool in front of them made them look more interesting.
The things that really made me impressed in this place were the garden, such as Colonial Garden, Bonsai Museum, Japanese Garden, etc. I went there in summer, so there were many flowers and butterflies. The sight was spectacular!

1 Thank Yosawa
Piscataway, New Jersey
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Wow, didn't get to explore everything but enjoyed what we saw!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband loves gardening so of course we had to go here. When we were given the map, we realized how huge the place was. Since it was a hot afternoon in August and we had to drive back home later that date, we only spent a little time here but would definitely go back to explore more. Like other reviewers recommended, see the bonsai exhibit. There are so many of them and very well done. We also stopped by the herb garden which was right across from the bonsai exhibit. We saw lots of flowers and so many butterflies! This is definitely a great way to spend a few hours and enjoy nature!

Columbus, Ohio, United States
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“surprisingly impressive”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

our 7 year old grandson LOVES bugs....garden
has 8 huge wooden sculptures he loved....amazed
arboretum even has 'handicapped accessible' paths

Visited June 2013