“Like Fox, Fair and Balanced”

Quality Inn & Suites New York Avenue
Ranked #132 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed June 27, 2009

I am currently writing this review from the hotel on 6/27/2009...
The price and free parking drew me to this hotel. I made reservations well in advance after seeing the hotel advetised on DC's city site. I must admit that the DC Visitor's guide touted it as "close to downtown" and that there was free shuttle service to the Metro. These statements are not true. This was my first trip to DC and I am here for 5 nights as part sightseeing/ part conference, all of which take place downtown. I am driving into town and paying to park downtown each day as a result.
The positives- My room (as well as the lobby, breakfast area, and hallways) is clean. The bed has a nice mattress, the desk chair is very comfortable and modern, 32" Sharp flat screen tv, and the microwave and fridge were welcome surprises. I am on the front side of the hotel, so I do not notice the train noise. The breakfast has been great so far. It has been crowded, but I found the staff to work very hard at replacing what needs to be replaced. The lobby is nice and the wireless connection worked well.
Also, it is very easy to get to. It is set in a weird spot and easy to miss on your way in to town so keep a careful eye out for it on the right hand side coming in off of 50. Its bright yellow color shows a total remake of the old hotel.
Now for the bad. The area puts the "hood" in neighborhood. I walked to the Gas Station literally within eyesight of the hotel on my 2nd night here because the hotel has NO VENDING of any sorts. As I passed a Lawn/Garden store to the east a huge rotweiller ran out at me (it was behind a fenced in area thank God) and I jumped about 10 feet into the street. Point of the story is, there is a reason that dog is stationed in the Garden center- there are whinos, panhandlers, and crackheads all over at night. I felt fine leaving in the morning and arriving back at night (before dark), but don't go far from the hotel. On the other hand, I did get a nice view from my window of one whino trying to pick another one up off the steps of the liquor store across the street- there's apparently a good sense of community among these vagrants- probably something to do with the President's new adminstration:) The parking lot is set at a weird angle and hard to move in and out of. You also have to turn around at a street to be able to go East from the hotel, but you will head west if going downtown. Finally, my shower curtain and bathroom smelled smoky- which I am super sensitive to. Upon arriving after my 2nd day in DC and just finishing a one hour run, I found out that the cleaning crew decided "No Soap or Shampoo for You". I called the front desk, and she had to go on a mad hunt to fgind some, but was very helpful. And again, there is no vending so bring your own snacks. They do have restaurant menus in the lobby, and I did order pizza one night which took about an hour to arrive from Domino's.
Ultimately I would say this...if you have children do not stay at this hotel unless you are driving everywhere. If you are looking for a fair price, with a good breakfast, a clean room, and the chance to see some mildly entertaining "culture" from the hood, this is the spot. I think the people who are negative about this place drew that perception as soon as they saw the neighborhood. Seperate the stay from the area and you will be fine.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank MikeMcC17

Reviewed June 19, 2009

Please read the other negative reviews - they are all 100% accurate. I am not sure what positives anyone could possible find in this hotel. It is in a bad area of town, it has zero security and has a really bad history.
The first thing I noticed when I arrived in my room was the railroad noise. Upon opening the curtains I noticed the railway is about 30 yards from my window. As I tried to rest before my evening meetings I could not believe how much activity the railway had. In one of the reviews I just read I noticed the person mentioned minimal rail traffic. Well let me tell you that either that person cannot hear or the rail traffic has picked up considerably since they visited. The traffic is frequent and loud!
My first morning cab ride into town the cab driver asked me how the place was, I told him that I was not impressed at all - he then asked me if anyone knocked on my door last night and I responded "no", but why do you ask. Well just before the renovation this hotel was known in town as the place that lady's frequent and the pimps would hang out close by. For obvious reasons this made me a bit nervous in returning each night to the hotel, so I probably started to notice more and more items each day. One very obvious weakness of this hotel is that it has zero security nor any measures taken in order to protect its clients. I would frequently return around 12a-130a and walk straight thru the auto sliding doors, right past the front desk and into the elevator with no one asking me to show a key nor do you have to use a key until you reach your own door.
The breakfast room was an absolute disaster each morning no matter time you arrived. It almost seemed more like a soup kitchen with the mess, amount of people, and never a place to sit. So each morning I would grab something really quick as I dodged people so I was not run over.
Once again - do yourself a favor and stay and pay somewhere else. What you save is not worth it in my opinion.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank LPogo
Reviewed May 4, 2009

We picked this hotel for its price, "proximity" to DC and the fact we could get a rollaway bed. Agreeing with the other reviews about the neighborhood not being the best. But I never felt unsafe nor did I see unquestionable characters in the lobby.

But in spite of the cleanliness of the rooms I was not impressed and would not recommend this hotel. It took 3 calls to get the rollaway bed up to the room. The lamp light didn't work, nor did the remote control for the TV (did you know there's no volume buttons on the actual TVs anymore?!). The frig clicked all night long. The internet was down. And coffee and juice machines broke for breakfast day #2.

Thankfully we didn't spend time in the room other than to sleep and shower. Wouldn't really have wanted to... but like I said, we got what we paid for... and my husband (who booked the room in the first place) still felt like it was a good deal compared to the other options.

Reviewed May 2, 2009

The hotel was very good for the price. Many other hotels wanted 2x the price for the rooms in DC. The street level location is gritty. But we had no real encounters with anyone on the street. The best thing we liked was clean rooms, I'm a contractor and these appeared to be recently updated.
The continental breakfast area was crowded during serving but the staff kept the food available, the food that was suppose to be hot was hot and the drinks that are suppose to be cold were cold.
What we liked least was exercise room facility, minimum equipment available.
I would stay here again.

Reviewed April 10, 2009

If I had paid strict attention to the persnicketty, ethnocentric reviews I read in this space, my family and I would have missed one of the best values around D.C. The hotel has just recently been remodeled with a good deal of attention paid to each room. The front desk staff were extremely helpful and courteous and complied with any request we had very quickly. Sure, when you get outside the Capital area in D.C., the neighborhoods go down somewhat. But, this hotel supplies free, secure parking(a rarity in D.C.) and good security throughout the hotel. The continental breakfast is very complete and satisfying and the breakfast room nicely appointed. The lady in charge is charming. Nice, modern, new fitness room. Any room service requests were instantly accomodated. As for the trains, if a train per hour zipping past the hotel is unsettling to you, bring some earplugs because you're not going to find a better value for your $ anywhere as close (10 minute drive to the Mall) as this hotel. My wife and I had a spacious King suite for $125/night+tax and My daughter and grand daughter a 2 queen room for $150/night+tax. If you want to leave your car in the lot and take the bus, the D1-3&6 lines all run past the hotel just down the street. Yes, if you drive into town, go past the hotel when you return and make a U-turn to come back to it at the next intersection. There's plenty of parking really near the Mall and the Smithsonian in the $12-$18/day range. Come on folks, if you expect the Willard for $125-150/night, I suggest you stay in Des Moines. Budget (read "smart") travelers take note of the Comfort Inn, 1600 New York Avenue. Also, coming from the Northeast , it can't be any easier to get to. Take the Balto-Wash Parkway (MD 295) from Baltimore directly to New York Avenue (US 50). You absolutely can't miss it!
Give this hotel a chance and you won't regret it.

2  Thank UncleThor
Reviewed April 4, 2009

My children and I (mom) arrived late at night and regretted once I saw the homeless/foot traffic in the area. If your activities bring you back to the hotel after dark, stay somewhere else. The room was decent but the traffice/train noise was intolerable without the t.v. being on all night. My car was broken into the second night and hotel staff didn't notify me. I found out after I checked out and started to load my vehicle at 11:20 am! It was obvious my car was broken into as customers were loading up as well. Very disappointed and will save money to stay in a pricier hotel with onsight security.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank itisdd
Reviewed February 6, 2009

This hotel was called the President Inn when I almost stayed here in April 2007. It was almost 2 years ago, but I will never forget the experience.

My friends and I drove in from NYC to see the Cherry Blossoms.
All the other hotels in DC city limits were booked or pricey $350+. The rate for this place was $99/night. It was on the outskirts of town and the people in the lobby were very strange but we were tired and wanted to rest. We took it.

Got up to the room. None of the lights worked. Strange. Only a small lamp by the t.v. and one in the corner. It was dim. We opened a bottle of wine and made plans for the morning. Then we noticed a dark brown spot on the white pillow.

IT WAS A BEDBUG!

We threw the pillow, there were tons more! All over the place. The bed sheets were covered with blood stains (which the bedbugs excrete). That's why none of the lights worked, so we wouldn't see them.

We went to the lobby and demanded our money back. The man said we had been in there for over an hour. We were a party of 2 girls and a guy. He was insinuating that we had 'made use' of the room and were trying to get out of paying. He offered us another room. Upon inspection, it too had blood stains & pubic hair on the sheets. They hadn't even been cleaned! Or maybe someone else had just used it for an hour!!

Maybe the normal clientele were ladies of the night, but not us. We argued for 15 minutes to get a refund and a call to our credit card company later, we were out of there.

Not surprised I couldn't find them listed on travelocity or any other hotel site. They changed the name and increased the rate. Hope they got rid of the bedbugs and riff-raff hanging out.

Beware!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank VeganVagabond