“Overpriced and Underwhelming” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #128 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Stirling, New Jersey
“Overpriced and Underwhelming”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were moving our daughter into college and taking our pickup truck to move all of her things. Underground parking was not going to work in msot cases because the truck is 21 feet long and 6 feet high, so one of the most important criteria in searching for a hotel was parking. Not only did I need above ground parking, but also secure parking. Not being all that familiar with DC, I chose this hotel after searching online, becuase it seemed the parking would work out. We found the hotel to be in a VERY rough part of town, and although the parking area was gated, and they claimed to have security at night we were not reassured. The lobby of the hotel was updated, but the rooms were run down. The suite had a sofa bed that you could not sit on and definitely could never sleep on! We requested another room and it was equally run down, with another sofa bed that was falling apart. We left the hotel and moved to a hotel that I had previously stayed at and liked very much, but I thought the parking would be a problem, (and when I had previously checked was unavailable for the dates we were travelling). A phone call determined that they had available rooms and their valet only garage could accomodate the pickup truck. The best part is the per night rate was really HALF what the disgusting Comfort Inn wanted for a room. The hotel we ultimately stayed inn was the Homewood Suites on Massachusetts Ave., NW. I have now stayed there three times. The staff is always friendly and helpful, the rooms are immaculate. Each has a king bed, suite with queen sleeper, fridge, microwave, dishwasher and stove top. The only negative is the buffet breakfast which is not great.

Room Tip: Tried two rooms and they were both awful. I don't think there are any good rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Bean414

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Edison, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Three friends and I stayed in a two queen bedroom (with a cot) and found the room very comfortable. It is off the beaten path and the area of town is a little ‘run down’ so we took the shuttle provided to and from Union Station or cabs. The breakfast was good and the coffee and tea area in the lobby was nice. The staff was nice, even when it got crazy with people checking in and out. It was just a place to lay our heads, so for the price, it was well worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Gabrielle H
Niagara, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Checked in by a very friendly and helpful gentleman named Dennis. He was very polite and accomodating to all of my requests (yes we were tourists). Some covered parking to choose from, room was nicely decorated and clean. Had a flat screen tv, fridge and well appointed bathroom. Was worried about facing out to the street but heard virtually no noise. Continental breakfast was average. Check out was uneventful and not nearly as nice as Dennis but I guess he can't work 24hrs!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Monaca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We had just missed our flight at the airport and our airliner recommended this hotel at a very discounted Rate. We were booked into the king suite. The room was clean and comfortable. Our receptionist ordered a take out for us and the breakfast was good. My only complaint was the lukewarm shower. For anyone stuck in a long layover at the airport I would recommend this hotel. A free shuttle runs every half hour between the airport and the hotel.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Raha M
Albany, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

This say near UNION station but it is actually in Washington Avenue which is 2.5 to 3 miles away from UNION Station so beware of this information....they charge you close to 120$ for kingsize room and the facility is not that great....there is a track adjacent to the hotel and it is horrible as whole night trains honks wakes you up....elevator is one horrible stuff...when ever I use it I always pray to GOD to save me this time....They have fitness center which had a cycle, tred mill and weight machine but they have kept one of the flase celing cupboard open and cockroches were coming out...eeeewwwww disgusting....I took no smoking room and both room as well hall way were full of cigrattee smell....Front desk staffs are really nice & they had shuttle...you have to really on shuttle to reach to nearest metro as it is not in walkable distance ...by walkable distance my standard is anything less than a mile...they is no any good place to eat out...I have to get a to go from resturants near my office so that i can heat & eat on my room....

Room Tip: check whether you ahve any room away from rail tracks....
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sab K
Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

I feel compelled to write this review because of previous reviews I read before staying at this hotel.

I knew what I was getting into when I decided to stay there. I didn't expect much, just a place to sleep while visiting DC, is all I required. I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg and this hotel was much cheaper than hotels in the downtown area. I did my fair share of research regarding the hotel, the location, and what others thought about their visit before I made my reservation (everyone should do this before traveling, this will cut down on certain expectations that may have been misled by "fluffy" advertising).

The hotel is very busy. From the lobby to the breakfast area, there were students (looked like a school trip) and families lined up to either have breakfast or get on the free shuttle. The staff does a great job with acknowledging everyone by saying "hello" or "I'll be with you in just a moment." I was very surprised, the gentleman who checked me in was also there in the morning and remembered my name. He asked me how I slept and if I enjoyed the snack bag he gave me at check in.

I slept very well, as a matter of fact. When I entered the room, I was quite surprised. The room was huge compared to a NY hotel I had been in the previous week. Nothing fancy, just a nice, clean room. They have flat screen tv's and microwaves and refrigerators (not sure if all rooms have these). The only improvement I see needed in the rooms is more TV channels, but then again, I didn't go all the way to DC to watch TV. All I need is the news and they had plenty of channels with news!

I used the free shuttle soon after I checked in. The driver was very friendly and gave me some good tips to see the city in a short amount of time. The shuttle service is what really adds value to the hotel. I would have paid almost $50 more per night if I stayed downtown.

The breakfast area was a bit crowded in the am, but the breakfast lady did a good job replenishing items and cleaning up spills.

In short, I thought the staff was very friendly and accommodating, the room was clean and welcoming, the free hot breakfast was great! I would definitely stay there again. The value of the free shuttle compared to paying a higher price at a downtown hotel is all the reason for me to book there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
14 Thank Kevin R
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

This is true, this hotel is not close to Union Station, and after 11AM if you want to go to that station you have to take a cab because the shuttle service will start again at 5PM. That is 6 hours without shuttle in the middle of nowhere. That policy is a non sense. The staff at the desk are not friendly it seems like you are annoying them with your requests. The decoration in the hallway is so outdated. Frankly it is quite ugly. The cleanliness of the room is alright but there are some deep stains in the rug, which show that those rugs are not really cleaned deeply very often. The nicest people are the members of the cleaning crew, those should be at the front desk, granted they don't speak English very well. We had a room on the 3rd floor on the street side and that was extremly noisy with the traffic. Unfortunatly there are no noise proof windows to help you sleep. Overall, the feeling is that a lot of corners are cut to save a buck.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank gail t
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington DC
Days Inn Washington DC/Connectic...
#116 of 140 in Washington DC
#52 of 140 in Washington DC
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,969 reviews
Quality Inn
#5 of 9 in Camp Springs
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#109 of 140 in Washington DC
Dupont Circle
Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House
Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Georgetown Area
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC ...
#43 of 140 in Washington DC

Been to Quality Inn & Suites New York Avenue? Share your experiences!