Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol
$218
  • Restaurant
Capitol Hill Hotel(Washington DC)
$279
$195
  • Breakfast included
$162
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
$221
  • Pool
Washington Court Hotel(Washington DC)
$405
The Watergate
$457
$339
  • Pool
The Dupont Circle(Washington DC)
$249
$212
Dupont Circle
$433
$399
  • Room Service
All reviewsau bon painunion stationmetro stopcourtyard by marriottthe metro red linestarbucks coffeeindoor poolvalet stafflight sleeperconvenient locationcorner roommini fridgefew blockswhite housenomaneighborhoodfirearms
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 12, 2009

If you are the type that wants to step out of your hotel and be right in the center of the action, this property FAILS. But if you are the type that plans your time in DC with an agenda, this hotel works great. Metro is right next door. My room faced the front of the hotel (Metro tracks are adjacent in the rear of hotel), noise on an upper floor was nonexistent. No view to speak of, unless you are an office voyeur that specializes in ATF employees

The hotel is new construction amidst a number of new projects, including other hotels, a supermarket, offices and condos. I bet they can get the supermarket project building done by Spring '10..

Rooms were all brand new, flat screen 32" with limited hdtv. Ibahn provides the crappy 386k free wireless/wired and tries to juice you to buy a premium 1.5mb speed every 24 hours. (puts iphone users logging in through the same clunky log in process with a web page that isnt iphone friendly). King bed, pull out love seat, coffee table, desk, pull out laptop trolley desk, faux Herman Miller chair. No closet, cabinet style wardrobe with limited hanging space and ironing board/iron. Apparently the average Courtyard guest travels pretty light.. Empty mini fridge, mini coffee maker.

Bathroom standard, single sink, curved shower bar, Speakeman head at the right height, good pressure. Mini shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, small body soap, smaller "face" soap. Partially used bathroom products were discarded during room cleaning on day 2 of a 3 day stay which seemed wasteful.

Lobby is actually on 2nd floor, so 99% of the time it was bypassed directly to room floor. Key card needed for front door access at night and in elevator to go beyond reception floor. 1st floor lobby needs some softening, looks like a the security desk at the registry of motor vehicles.

Neighborhood is nonexistent after 5pm and on weekends. 5 Guys Burgers - acceptable, but limited other options (Deli across from the hotel was closed for three days due to a "Federal Holiday" according to a sign on the door). Au Bon Pain steps from the front door. Again, if your day is planned, grab you sandwich there, drop it in your bag and you wont be stuck eating McDonalds for $14 at the Air & Space Museum.

Friendly staff, nice check in, short staffed on my one coffee visit to the lobby in the afternoon one day. Perused the "market" mostly packaged junk food and Lean Cuisine micro-dinners. Did not check out the "Bistro". They have two public computer work stations, printers and with monitors that face into the room. They also have a dedicated computer/printer for airline boarding passes.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
mike w, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2015

Greetings from the Courtyard Washington DC/US Capitol. I see that you stayed with us quite some time ago. I am the new General Manager and I am reviewing all Trip Advisor reviews – especially past reviews from a time before the hotel was able to shine.

We have many amazing amenities, new associates and leaders – and a completely transformed neighborhood that is bound to surprise you. If you have a chance to travel back to our area, we would love a chance to connect with you once again.

Reviewed September 23, 2009

My sister and I traveled to D.C to visit a friend. We planned on staying at his place but early in the day we were sick of carrying around our bags (he couldn't meet us until later that night) and wanted to take a shower. I am a Marriott employee so I get a good discount so we decided to just book a hotel room. This was only my second trip to D.C and I wasn't entirely sure where this hotel was located but I knew it was in the city so I booked it. anyways. When we hopped in the cab and headed over to the courtyard I did become a little leery when we entered the area where the hotel is located. Most of it is under construction and up and coming. We went inside and the hotel staff was nice enough, they could use a little boost in that department and this is coming from someone who has the same job. I always make it a point to at least smile. Onto the place itself...it is great. It has a modern, hip feel to it but still classy and comfortable at the same time. Everything is new...Everything. The room was a little small but the beds and linens were absolutely amazing. Even though we only watched 5 minutes of a weather forecast on it, the flat sceeen t.v. would be a great plus for t.v. watchers. The hotel was quiet, never had a problem with noise, including the metro which is right next door. Like I said before, mostly everything is great but the location is a little out of the way. It didnt really matter to us anyways because we took a taxi there that night. I would definately recommend this place to anyone visiting.

• Stayed: July 2009

Reviewed September 21, 2009

Brand-new and looks like it...very modern and chic style. Comfortable. Being a new hotel, there are some kinks still left to work out in their service, but they fixed everything quickly and very well. Our room was big and comfortable...they even had various pillows from soft to firm to choose from. HDTV. Very clean. Bistro in lobby had great breakfast food and free coffee.
Location has pros and cons. Metro stop at building....just walk out of hotel and hop on the red line, it's that simple. Easy access from I-395. Parking garage (with fee). Not a great or exciting neighborhood, but you can tell that's changing. (New buildings going up all over the place....this will probably be the next trendy area of DC in a few years.)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 30, 2009

I read a couple of reviews before staying at this Courtyard and almost considered changing hotels. However, since I was using Marriott points I didn't have much choice.
I thought the hotel was great and the service above great. My son managed to leave his cell phone in the room before we flew home. I was panicked, but checked the GPS and found that it was still at the hotel. When we called, not only had the staff found the phone, but they sent it back ovenight without charge.
The room was not huge, but it was fine. The beds were great. I appreciated that a room key was needed to go above the second floor. The Au Bon Pan bakery was great and there's a deli and a 5 Guys Burgers right across the street. Great if you have children.
The Metro is mere steps away. It was no big deal to have one extra Metro stop.
The pool is only 3 feet deep, which isn't great and the workout area can get crowded. But overall it was a great place for a family visiting D.C.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Anewsbud

Reviewed August 9, 2009

we booked this hotel when it first opened so there were no reviews. At the time I was under the impression that it was near the Capital building (since it's part of their name) but it's actually nowhere near the capital or anything else for that matter. The metro is literally steps aways from the hotel which made that part convenient but there is absolutely nowhere to walk to. There's a couple of fast food places across the street but that's it. Weekends are worse because at least during the week there are people around and more activity (AFT bldg is next door) but on the weekedn it's very isolated. We arrived on a sat. and there was only a Five Guys opened at 7:00pm. The front doors of the hotel were kept locked at night (I'm guessing for security reasons) and you could only enter by swiping your key, infact the first floor is just for the valet parking and security, the front desk is actually on the second floor. The metro was very conveniently located and was very clean because it's also new but had security/police present so obviously it was not in a very safe location. It looks like there is a lot of new development/construction going on in the area so I suspect that in about 5 years it will be a nice area but not now. The train tracks are near by but they did not bother us much, you can hardly hear the trains. The staff was very friendly and very nice. The room was very clean. Everything was very new and clean and you felt very safe in the hotel but not so much when you were outside especially when it got dark. As much as I liked the hotel itself and had a very pleasant stay, I was not happy at all about the location so I don't think I would ever stay there again or recommend it to anyone...maybe in about 5 years.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family