“DONT STAY HERE. HORRIBLE. ZERO STARS.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol

Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol
Ranked #106 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Chicago, Illinois
“DONT STAY HERE. HORRIBLE. ZERO STARS.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

They don't clean the rooms until around 4 pm each day. Horrible customer service at front desk and on phone. We called the front desk asking for a list of restaurant delivery options on the way back to the hotel. The lady said, "I need to ask my manager." She then proceeded to put us on hold for 10 minutes. Stay elsewhere. Horrible experience despite being a Gold Marriott member. ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank tennisgolfd
BWI-CYTD, Property Sales at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, we understand that your time is valuable and 10 minutes is a long time to wait for a list of menus. Although I do not believe that it was anyone’s intention to put you on hold for that long, it is still no excuse. We value your feedback and have addressed this issue with each department to ensure increased attentiveness with each of our guests. All of us here at the Courtyard US Capitol would also like to extend are utmost gratitude to you for your loyal service as a gold member. We do hope that you will give us a second chance to not only meet but exceed these standards.

US Capitol Courtyard Leadership Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

This review encompasses two separate stays, a one-night stay in mid-October and a 3-night stay in November. I am a loyal Marriott Rewards member and I really wanted and still want to love this hotel. It has so many things going for it. Location is one aspect. It's centered in a huge urban renovation project. When all the surrounding buildings open, this area will be buzzing. Its proximity to the red line metro couldn't be better. And, once on the metro, Union Station is merely seconds away, it seems. It's the closest good hotel to The Catholic University of America--a huge plus for me while my daughter is attending school there.

My first impression was excellent and that's because the front desk staff person who checked me in was friendly, professional, and courteous. But then the troubles began. In October, I got up to the room and it was uncomfortably hot. I turned on the A/C and it was broken. A maintenance person came quickly to look at it and deemed it unfixable until the next day. I was moved to another room and the front desk person was kind to give me some bonus reward points for the inconvenience. In November upon arriving to my room, I entered into a space that had remnants of a cigarette smoker. It was bad and unacceptable. I tried to ignore it but couldn't. I called down to ask about changing rooms. No answer on two attempts to call. I went down to the desk and finally received help. I got a different room and it was just fine, except for two outlets that were broken and a TV remote that needed new batteries. The room was clean.

The area needing most improvement is valet parking. It's $33 to use valet parking (no self parking available). I was told to call down 10 minutes prior to needing the car and it would be ready for me. I did that each time only to learn that no one knew I needed my car. On 2 occasions I waited 20 minutes and one day the valet person had me follow him out back to the garage where he handed my keys as the door was being rolled up for my exit. Valet parking fees should include punctual service and the service of having the car pulled to the front entrance. I never received satisfactory service. Valet personnel should also be ready to accept the car upon return to the hotel. I had to wait approx. 5-10 minutes for someone to attend to my vehicle.

Some fellow reviewers have commented on noise from the trains. I did not experience that problem. Some reviewers have complained about the firm beds. Yes, to that one for sure. If you like planks for mattresses, you have come to the right place.

If I return to this hotel again, it will be for a trip that doesn't require a car. I have learned my lesson on that one!

4 Thank delledge
Myself and the entire staff here at the US Capitol Courtyard would like to extend our gratitude for being a loyal rewards member. I do apologize for the inconveniences you had to endure while staying with us. We work hard to ensure all areas of the hotel are maintained at the highest level of professionalism. The problems that you endured with the valet service are unacceptable and we do apologize for that. Your input is very important to us, and we do hope that you will come visit us again in the future.

Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

On a recent trip to DC we searched for a good hotel in the Marriott brand that had the best price and location. Finding those elements together in DC was a bit tough. This hotel had them both. Located about 1 minute walk to the Metro was key for us, especial in DC.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank PROPAGANDI
BWI-CYTD, Property Sales at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
We are very happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us while visiting the DC area. I’m pleased to know that we were able to meet not some, but all of your expectations and allow for a memorable trip. Our close and easy distance to the metro station has earned us a lot of praise by our guest and I am excited to hear that it added to your memorable stay as well. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to you visiting our hotel in the future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

I'm a Marriott guy from way back, I stayed here because of the proximity to the Metro stop. The hotel is pretty clean and is safe. I usually say that the only thing I really need is a clean bed and a shower, but the bed needs to be somewhat comfortable. The bed in this place was similar to sleeping on pavement. I ended up sleeping on the comforter and using a blanket in the hopes of finding some softness under me. Brutal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the building away from the noise.
1 Thank WolffieCO
Myself and the rest of the staff here at the Courtyard US Capitol want to express our gratitude for your loyal service to the Marriott brand. I am sorry to hear; however, that your expectations were not fully met during your stay with us. We here at the US Capitol Courtyard pride ourselves on meeting the expectations of our guests; however, when this doesn’t happen we see it as a chance to improve ourselves. One of the biggest components of a hotel is a goodnights sleep and your feedback has given us the opportunity to come up with ways different to enhance our guest sleeping rooms. Your feedback is always important and we want to thank you for that, we do hope that you can give us one more chance to exceed your expectations in the future.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

The rooms in the Marriott style is the only positive of our stay at the hotel:
1- the attention from the reception staff was poor. Upon arrival and during check in we asked if the group had breakfast included, the answer was "all the information is in the papers provided". Cool!
2- breakfast arranged for the group was poor and miserable, constantly missing basic things like butter, plastic crockery, etc. despite we were paying 180 dollars per night.
3- noise was constant from trains if your room is in the rear, as trains circulate all night.
4- we had two incidents at the reception as they use to call pirate taxi services. In the first one we asked for a taxi at reception and the taxi called was pirate so a tax inspector appeared and made a report in situ, so we had a bad experience and lost half an hour. In the second incident, the day departing to the airport, we also asked for a taxi at the reception. When we arrived to airport and asked for a ticket the driver couldn't provide one...another taxi pirate paying some kind of commission to the hotel staff.
Definitively a hotel to not recommend.

Room Tip: Ensure that your room is not facing the railways
3 Thank Victor P
BWI-CYTD, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations while you stayed with us. Please know that the Courtyard holds customer service and hospitality in very high regards. I will be sharing this experience with the leadership team to uncover how we can improve.

Chris Zanzano - General Manager
jackson, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

I had a great stay at this Marriott in DC. I loved the location. I felt safe walking in the neighborhood, and was steps away from the Metro. Staff was friendly and room was clean. What else do you need?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us while visiting Washington DC! Happy that our staff was able to exceed your expectations and look forward to you visiting our hotel in the future. Thank you

Chris Zanzano - General Manager
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

my experience was good, it's clean and comfy. no breakfast was included but are plenty of fast food around the hotel.
i dont feel very safe at night in that area but nothing to worry about. the hotel is safe but with extrange people at the arounds .
i ask at the reception if they could call a taxi to the central station at 2 AM.
the taxi never came, the front desk naver take reponsabilities on that either.
i have to took my bags and walk to the metro , running because the metro was about to close.
I don't think i would stay there again but it's not bad.

Room Tip: ask for a street side room, otherwise it will be very noisy because it's next to the metro.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I am sorry to hear that we were not able to get you a cab. It can be a challenge at 2am in Washington DC to hail a cab down. I will share this with our team to help provide better service for future guests.

General Manager - Chris Zanzano