“Nice location but that's about it”

Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol
Ranked #111 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I'm a Marriott guy from way back, I stayed here because of the proximity to the Metro stop. The hotel is pretty clean and is safe. I usually say that the only thing I really need is a clean bed and a shower, but the bed needs to be somewhat comfortable. The bed in this place was similar to sleeping on pavement. I ended up sleeping on the comforter and using a blanket in the hopes of finding some softness under me. Brutal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the building away from the noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank WolffieCO
BWI-CYTD, Property Sales at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Myself and the rest of the staff here at the Courtyard US Capitol want to express our gratitude for your loyal service to the Marriott brand. I am sorry to hear; however, that your expectations were not fully met during your stay with us. We here at the US Capitol Courtyard pride ourselves on meeting the expectations of our guests; however, when this doesn’t happen we see it as a chance to improve ourselves. One of the biggest components of a hotel is a goodnights sleep and your feedback has given us the opportunity to come up with ways different to enhance our guest sleeping rooms. Your feedback is always important and we want to thank you for that, we do hope that you can give us one more chance to exceed your expectations in the future.

US Capitol Courtyard Leadership Team

Reviewed November 11, 2013

The rooms in the Marriott style is the only positive of our stay at the hotel:
1- the attention from the reception staff was poor. Upon arrival and during check in we asked if the group had breakfast included, the answer was "all the information is in the papers provided". Cool!
2- breakfast arranged for the group was poor and miserable, constantly missing basic things like butter, plastic crockery, etc. despite we were paying 180 dollars per night.
3- noise was constant from trains if your room is in the rear, as trains circulate all night.
4- we had two incidents at the reception as they use to call pirate taxi services. In the first one we asked for a taxi at reception and the taxi called was pirate so a tax inspector appeared and made a report in situ, so we had a bad experience and lost half an hour. In the second incident, the day departing to the airport, we also asked for a taxi at the reception. When we arrived to airport and asked for a ticket the driver couldn't provide one...another taxi pirate paying some kind of commission to the hotel staff.
Definitively a hotel to not recommend.

Room Tip: Ensure that your room is not facing the railways
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Victor P
BWI-CYTD, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations while you stayed with us. Please know that the Courtyard holds customer service and hospitality in very high regards. I will be sharing this experience with the leadership team to uncover how we can improve.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I had a great stay at this Marriott in DC. I loved the location. I felt safe walking in the neighborhood, and was steps away from the Metro. Staff was friendly and room was clean. What else do you need?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us while visiting Washington DC! Happy that our staff was able to exceed your expectations and look forward to you visiting our hotel in the future. Thank you

Reviewed November 6, 2013

my experience was good, it's clean and comfy. no breakfast was included but are plenty of fast food around the hotel.
i dont feel very safe at night in that area but nothing to worry about. the hotel is safe but with extrange people at the arounds .
i ask at the reception if they could call a taxi to the central station at 2 AM.
the taxi never came, the front desk naver take reponsabilities on that either.
i have to took my bags and walk to the metro , running because the metro was about to close.
I don't think i would stay there again but it's not bad.

Room Tip: ask for a street side room, otherwise it will be very noisy because it's next to the metro.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

I am sorry to hear that we were not able to get you a cab. It can be a challenge at 2am in Washington DC to hail a cab down. I will share this with our team to help provide better service for future guests.

General Manager - Chris Zanzano

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed for the Redskins/Chargers game. Wanted to stay in a safe area close to the Metro. Capital Hill/Navy Yard Marriott met all of our expectations. Property clean, staff went above their call of duty to help. Room clean and laid out nicely. Breakfast was excellent and priced well for the portion received. Metro on next block. Only downfall, fee to pay for parking.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
mike w, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2015

Greetings from the Courtyard Washington DC/US Capitol. I see that you stayed with us quite some time ago. As I review our older reviews, I see that we still owe you a response. My apologies for the significant delay. I am the new General Manager and I am reviewing all Trip Advisor reviews – especially past reviews from a time before the hotel was able to really shine. While your view was very positive (thank you!), we have grown even further. I am completely impressed by our team and our neighborhood. I would like to recommend coming back and trying our hotel again! Yes - it's been a while, and I am new to this hotel, but your travel experience is still important to me!

We have many amazing amenities, new associates and leaders – and a completely transformed neighborhood that is bound to surprise you. If you have a chance to travel back to our area, we would love a chance to connect with you once again.

M. Wilson

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Me and my husband stayed here for the Marine Corp Marathon and very pleased minus a couple of problems. One we were scheduled with a shuttle to take us to the metro at 4:30am and although we came down 3 minutes after the shuttle never came. We were told by another person also waiting there before us that the shuttle never came and left empty. We all left at around 4:45am.
The other problem is that they put a $380 dollar hold on our account which we had already paid for head of time.

Other than that the hotel was very clean and was at a perfect location for us.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MarinaRodriguez

My apologies for the accounting error and that is not a common practice at the hotel. I am sure that we rectified the issue in a timely manner. Thank you for the compliments on our cleanliness and location. Hope you choose ti visit us next year for the event.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for my 40th birthday for a week at the beginning of October.

It was a great stay. Good location, just out of town so not busy but served by the metro right next door, or a ten minute awl to Union Station.

The room was excellent. Spacious, comfortable and a great bathroom.

The staff where, on the whole, OK.

My only gripe was the room still wasn't serviced by 1600 hours? After a day walking around DC the last thing I wanted to come back to was an unserviced room. Staff made out we didm;t want it serviced, so was slightly miffed by that, but a free drink in the bar and an hour later it was all sorted.

Already planning a return trip to DC and we would certainly use this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KaspaVonD

Happy Birthday! Really sory for the mix up with your room being cleaned. Happy to hear that we were able to provide accomidations while taking care of the error. Thank you for the feedback and positive comments.